Author Topic: I just ordered a CycloDS  (Read 5215 times)

Offline Pikadude No. 1

• Gettin' Into the Swing of Things
    • http://harrigan.org/pikadudeno1/
Re: I just ordered a CycloDS
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2009, 08:21:45 PM »
Quote from: "eeliottheking"
i think this is a misunderstanding more than it is outrage falling into a low internet social class.

I'm fairly certain I haven't misunderstood that Outrage is downloading games that he's supposed to buy in DS game cards.
[size=85]"Nobody expects the Eskimo Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise!"
"And love!"
"Our two chief weapons are surprise and love!"
"And hammers."
"Our three chief weapons are surprise, love, and hammers!"
"And ice!"
"Oh, bloody hell!"

Past signatures[/size]

Offline Outrage

• Is probably Booman
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2009, 11:08:40 PM »
Quote from: "Pikadude No. 1"
i think this is a misunderstanding more than it is outrage falling into a low internet social class.

I'm fairly certain I haven't misunderstood that Outrage is downloading games that he's supposed to buy in DS game cards.
I'm saving for my education, thank you. And don't give me bullshit that I must "support the developer" or something because you don't when you buy games. The developers are already supported if retailers buy copies of their games from them. If YOU buy a copy of a game in a store, who gets the money? The store.

Offline Agastya

• Pwetty Butterfwy
  • Is probably Booman
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2009, 12:55:38 AM »
fulfilling a request for money isn't necessary if there's a way around it

there's a shareware and a freeware application that does the same exact thing.

one simply downloads the freeware, while the other pirates the shareware.

are they really any different?

Offline MrMister

• Is probably Booman
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2009, 08:50:18 PM »
Quote from: "Outrage"
I'm saving for my education, thank you. And don't give me **** that I must "support the developer" or something because you don't when you buy games. The developers are already supported if retailers buy copies of their games from them. If YOU buy a copy of a game in a store, who gets the money? The store.
Zing!

Offline eeliottheking

• MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
    • http://DIGDUG.DIGDUG
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2009, 01:21:36 AM »
obligatory stop arguing about piracy post.  SMWar uses graphics ripped from mario games.  aren't we stealing from them by not paying them royalties for their content?  so in reality you are being a hypocrite by flaming him for downloading "stolen" content when you are posting on a forum for a game that does the same thing.  :p
Hi

Offline Pikadude No. 1

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2009, 01:26:10 AM »
SMWar uses graphics ripped from mario games.  aren't we stealing from them by not paying them royalties for their content?
No, thanks to fair use - one of those aspects of copyright law that our government got right.

Quote from: "LKA"
there's a shareware and a freeware application that does the same exact thing.
one simply downloads the freeware, while the other pirates the shareware.
are they really any different?
Yes. A shareware developer requests money and a freeware developer does not. If you meet the requests of the developer, I have no problem with you.

And don't give me **** that I must "support the developer" or something because you don't when you buy games. The developers are already supported if retailers buy copies of their games from them. If YOU buy a copy of a game in a store, who gets the money? The store.
If the retailers already have plenty of copies of a game on their shelves because a bunch of people are pirating the game instead, are they gonna get more copies?

I'm saving for my education, thank you.
Three words: Freeware, freeware, freeware. Freeware developers are awesome. They make cool stuff just because they wanted to, and then they generously give it out instead of trying to make a quick buck off of it. I've been playing Negative Space recently. Neat game.

To everyone: My dream is to make a living being part of the games creation process. But if people don't send enough money in return for the games I'll help to create, I'll have to go get a real job. Stomp on Bowser's minions, not my dreams.
"And love!"
"And hammers."
"And ice!"
"Oh, bloody hell!"

Past signatures[/size]

Offline eeliottheking

• MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
    • http://DIGDUG.DIGDUG
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2009, 08:41:37 PM »
a bunch of stuff

and then there are people like me who simply dont care about any of that and are going to continue pirating regardless of moral values. thank you for your understanding.
Hi

Offline Kabukiguy

• Too Much Free Time
  • What a horrible night to have a curse....
    • http://gdkn.deviantart.com/
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2009, 08:43:14 PM »
pirating is for niggs.

real men steal from stores instead of the internet.
Fist with a ring on it.

Offline MrMister

• Is probably Booman
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2009, 10:44:59 PM »
To everyone: My dream is to make a living being part of the games creation process. But if people don't send enough money in return for the games I'll help to create, I'll have to go get a real job. Stomp on Bowser's minions, not my dreams.
Hey I've told 72dpiarmy before that I also want to develop professional games, but it's not like there's not 1 person out there that wouldn't pirate the game I eventually create anyways. Piracy is really something that devs (like me in the future, hopefully) just have to live with, they just have to make their game so good so that there is an internal war among the pirates about being moral, eventually getting pirates to actually buy their game. :P

Quote from: "GDKN"
pirating is for niggs.

real men steal from stores instead of the internet.
You sir is awesome.

Offline Turndawg107

• Posts Very Often
    • http://turndawg.wordpress.com/
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2009, 12:27:24 AM »
The real matter of game development is making a game people willingly want to pay for.  One always has to understand that his/her game WILL be pirated.  It's not a question of if it'll be pirated, but how you'll make the game appeal enough to make the would-be pirates want to pay for it instead.

Offline MrMister

• Is probably Booman
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2009, 01:24:12 AM »
Quote from: "Turndawg107"
The real matter of game development is making a game people willingly want to pay for.  One always has to understand that his/her game WILL be pirated.  It's not a question of if it'll be pirated, but how you'll make the game appeal enough to make the would-be pirates want to pay for it instead.
My thoughts exactly. :)

Offline Pikadude No. 1

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2009, 08:38:02 PM »
But people of the n00b class are going to pirate things regardless of their quality, if they have the chance. People of the n00b class can recognize coolness when they see it, but they have no appreciation for the effort it took. Try asking a member of the n00b class where they got that really funny image they posted; they probably won't remember.

The key is asking for something that's reasonable given the amount of effort you put into a game; that way, you're sure to get it from members of the creative & awesome classes. If you put in a little effort, you could ask for $5, maybe $10. If you put in a good amount of effort, you can ask for $20. If you're Nintendo, you can probably get away with asking for $50.
"And love!"
"And hammers."
"And ice!"
"Oh, bloody hell!"

Past signatures[/size]

Offline MrMister

• Is probably Booman
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2009, 09:03:30 PM »
...And If your Square-Enix you can impose a 5-10$ tax on all of your games.

Offline Turndawg107

• Posts Very Often
    • http://turndawg.wordpress.com/
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2009, 11:44:38 PM »
But people of the n00b class are going to pirate things regardless of their quality, if they have the chance. People of the n00b class can recognize coolness when they see it, but they have no appreciation for the effort it took. Try asking a member of the n00b class where they got that really funny image they posted; they probably won't remember.
I already pointed this out.  You can't escape this blatant fact as a developer.  You just need to make sure you can actually make sales on the people who otherwise would pirate it, and don't forget those who pirate games to test them out before buying.  As a developer you should be focusing on the people who are buying your game, NOT THE PEOPLE WHO CLEARLY AREN'T.  What's the point of paying attention to the non-customers and what they have to say?