Author Topic: So, regarding releases and maps etc  (Read 977 times)

Offline Agastya

• Pwetty Butterfwy
  • Is probably Booman
So, regarding releases and maps etc
« on: July 31, 2008, 06:45:12 PM »
I've been showing this game around, and other than "lol is there netplay" the people new to the game always have the same reply to it.

It's a "clusterfuck of special effects and it's confusing to see on most maps" according to most people new to it, and they have a hard time figuring out where they are.. but the "simpler" maps along the lines of 0smw and whatnot are enjoyable as they don't use all the features with eyecandy and layer use.

This isn't an issue for people who've been with the game a while though, so these people fly under the radar, since rather than coming here to tell us about it, they instead just gripe about it on other forums.

I would like to suggest we only pack about 5 or so maps with each release, simple ones like 0smw etc etc and put the rest of the maps that would have been in a release in a separate zip file. This can also lop off some filesize from the download, and if people want hundreds more maps, they can browse the Fanmade Content forum as well. This may also help with first impressions of the game, so people view it as more than just a "clusterfuck of special effects."

Comments?

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
  • this title came sooner than the last
Re: So, regarding releases and maps etc
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 07:51:32 PM »
5 seems a little low (about 20 - 50 good maps would do), but I do like the idea of a separate download. If we wanted to, we could do a "staff's pick" set as well (as in, pick a bunch of maps that aren't ours, and put them in separate pack.).

Offline Two52

• Administrator
  • Posts Very Often
Re: So, regarding releases and maps etc
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 06:13:46 PM »
I agree the simpler maps should be bundled with the game and the more complex/complicated/hard to use maps could be a seperate download.  Since worlds can have their own map directory, we can still include those harder maps that worlds require without polluting the general map list.