Author Topic: Netplay General Discussion  (Read 35017 times)

Offline nmn

• Almost Regular
Re: Netplay General Discussion
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2008, 02:43:56 AM »
lol
Thanks for the positive reinforcements people, but do keep in mind that net play is a rather small part of the program. I certainly don't feel i deserve more praise than the core developers. I personally don't mind but I sure don't want to take the spotlight off of people who've worked harder.

And scratch that message earlier - i have my menu working and i'll be working further on the netplay itself.
Other places I go: Puyo Nexus | Digg | EmuTalk
Contributing to]Puyo Puyo! Tools[/url] | (Some other stuff that is yet to go public)

Offline MC Jimmy

• Global Moderator
  • Ain't Nothin' but a Hound Dawg
  • Pon de replay?
    • MC Productions
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 02:57:16 AM »
Don't worry. :P Once it's all said and done, everyone will be total a$$fases and not really care whatcha did. I bet most don't even appreciate what Two52 does. But I sure do. He has to single handedly work since Florian does not help with SMWar anymore. You will still have a few fans like me out there. :o

Offline Yoshi Skier

• Forum Moderator
  • Posts Somewhat Often
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 09:33:30 AM »
If anything, it'll stop all the people asking for online play, which can get rather annoying at times. This is something 72dpiers have been dreaming about for a while, but it has never been made a reality before now. Me, along with many other people, will find this a great addition to the game. Don't cut yourself short - this is pretty big, and if you get this off the ground, you deserve all the credit in the world.
Florian Hufsky, 1986~2009. Hopefully now he can see how sorely he is missed and all the lives he has touched.

Offline DarkAndroid

• Too Much Free Time
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008, 10:02:51 AM »
yeah NP is a big thing
so when NP does take off, you will become a smwar god!
YOU JUST WENT AGAINST THE UNWRITTEN CODE OF /EEE/ HERE!
THAT IS WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!!!

Life Scars : II

Offline KoolKojoS

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2008, 09:56:15 PM »
Okay, I'm not asking for netplay like most new members, I'm suggesting a method of netplay.

Some of you may or may not know, there is a fan game called "Mario Brawl Online"
(LINK~ http://http://www.mbo-center.ovh.org/index.php?static=1&PHPSESSID=0b8a8a23036dddaec642ac9e81eeacf1)

This game uses a system called Hamiachi to connect people in a sort of emulated LAN area or something of that nature.

Mabey the people of Super Mario War can like talk with the creator of this game so they can too learn how to use hamiachi and connect SMW players!!!

Any other suggestions?

Offline nmn

• Almost Regular
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2008, 11:17:03 AM »
Quote from: "KoolKojoS"
Some of you may or may not know, there is a fan game called "Mario Brawl Online"
(LINK~ http://http://www.mbo-center.ovh.org/index.php?static=1&PHPSESSID=0b8a8a23036dddaec642ac9e81eeacf1)

This game uses a system called Hamiachi to connect people in a sort of emulated LAN area or something of that nature.

Mabey the people of Super Mario War can like talk with the creator of this game so they can too learn how to use hamiachi and connect SMW players!!!

Any other suggestions?

I'm actually working on a normal Netplay system, But Hamachi can help. To be able to have an open list of servers running, we either need a master server or a LAN network - Hamachi provides a LAN network for free, so this idea actually works pretty well if all players use it.

However, I'd rather just have a master server system since Hamachi doesn't work on all platforms SMW does. (Namely handhelds, and it's hard to get working on Linux, I think there's an OS X version though)
Contributing to]Puyo Puyo! Tools[/url] | (Some other stuff that is yet to go public)

Offline KoolKojoS

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2008, 01:48:04 PM »
I'm glad I could finnaly help in some way! >:D

Offline riahc3

• Gettin' Into the Swing of Things
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2008, 02:17:12 PM »
Welcome back nmn. Thank you very much again for replying to my message left for you on the wikipedia page. Thanks :)

I have a question: You say that the method you are using is a "master server system"; Will this be a remote server system or will a player have to make a host server such as Quake 3?

Offline nmn

• Almost Regular
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2008, 03:13:28 PM »
Quote from: "riahc3"
Welcome back nmn. Thank you very much again for replying to my message left for you on the wikipedia page. Thanks :)
No problem.

Quote from: "riahc3"
I have a question: You say that the method you are using is a "master server system"; Will this be a remote server system or will a player have to make a host server such as Quake 3?

The master server will do exactly as it does in Quake 3 - it holds the addresses to servers that are currently running.
Because this does require a server to be running, I may have to drop it or just leave it off default in favor of Hamachi, unless I can get my old box running cool enough to stay on all day. (Or if we could use a PHP based masterserver, which is probably possible with some HTTP magic so as long as we can figure a way to drop off dead servers after a while. Perhaps they could periodically ping the master to let it know it's still alive.)

Offline Linkfox

• Almost Regular
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2008, 10:26:17 AM »
This is the best news I've heard since I came back today.
When netplay comes around, I'm definitely downloading it.

You, sir, are about to kill 99.9% of germs...no, no wait, that's Lysol.
Ok, where was i? Oh, yes...You are about to make plenty of SMWarriors' (SMWar players) dreams come true!

Offline Luigi

• Almost Regular
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2008, 05:38:37 PM »
So... Um... It ended up on dreaming only? Still nothing done? Well... Nothing surprising

Btw. It would be nice to see netplay for SMW, but I'm afraid it would be "tourneyfaged" and we can play with NO ITEMS! FOX ONLY! FINAL DESTINATION! Because other levels are UNFAIR AND UNBALANCED as they have UNFAIR DEFENSIVE POSITIONS! Z0MG!

Offline nmn

• Almost Regular
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2008, 08:44:09 PM »
Heh, well, I'm still SORTA working on it, but because of school and things other people are bothering me about I've gotten very little chance to work on it.

It should be farther than it is right now, but my dev box went down in a strange crash and i can't find how to recover my SMW work files - Getting a logical Ext2 drive to work on windows is nearly impossible, even just to get files, and now that i finally found a reliable way, it still doesn't work because my entire home folder is showing up Empty.

So I'm sorry for the false hope, I suppose. I was working on it quite well for a bit, up till my crash. I'll let you know if i recover my working files or find another solution.

Offline formula1

• Almost Regular
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2008, 12:49:26 AM »
If only we could help you out...
If coding was as simple as building a house. Netplay wouldnt be an issue :C
I want the wisest things to happen
If you like stuff. That stuff will always exsist.... IN YOUR MIND! OH SHNAP! UNLESS U FORGETZ IT! OR SHNAP! maybe...
Destryers Inc

Offline Pikadude No. 1

• Gettin' Into the Swing of Things
    • http://harrigan.org/pikadudeno1/
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2008, 07:22:32 PM »
You think building a house is simple?? Isn't there all these building codes you have to follow and structural stability to worry about and all that stuff??
[size=85]"Nobody expects the Eskimo Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise!"
"And love!"
"Our two chief weapons are surprise and love!"
"And hammers."
"Our three chief weapons are surprise, love, and hammers!"
"And ice!"
"Oh, bloody hell!"

Past signatures[/size]

Offline formula1

• Almost Regular
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2008, 09:32:43 PM »
Arent We Little Miss Clever Remark? :P

If The Omish Can Do it, Anyone Can.
You just Have to have a little Will Power, And the Ability not to Be A Silly Pumpkin with Balance/Structural Issues

Which Means Making the Base Secure By Either Making It Bigger THen The Top and/or Giving it Fondation in Cement or in ground thats not going to get hard.

As For Codes....
You know what I meant...
But If you dont...
You Could Probably Build a little Shack right now.
With a few extra hands, you could make a shack at a larger scale ("House")
I want the wisest things to happen
If you like stuff. That stuff will always exsist.... IN YOUR MIND! OH SHNAP! UNLESS U FORGETZ IT! OR SHNAP! maybe...
Destryers Inc