Author Topic: 72dpimon (title pending) development thread.  (Read 5749 times)

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
  • this title came sooner than the last
72dpimon (title pending) development thread.
« on: July 13, 2008, 03:36:53 PM »
(Not to be with the Pokemon hack going on)
Over the past week or so I've been working on a pokemon type engine (progress report is in my sig). It relies on external files to store data, like pokemon data (and even its species). I also used an easy to augment move system.
Anyway screenshot (like it has much in it):

Project status:

Battle system: 1%
- Attack system ready to go. Adding new moves will now be a cinch.
- Enemy attacks based on a random number. (that is what it seems to do in pokemon {and easiest to program})
- Fainting finished. Getting the faint checker to run from a timeline wasn't a good idea, but I got around that.
- It moves onto the field area after the battle is finished.
- I have started on the battle intro.

Overworld: 1%
- Basic movement up and running.
- Collision with objects set.
- Random 72dpimon encounter in grass set (although needs fine tuning).

graphics: 0.001%
- Not many graphics done. Will be updated here.

sounds/ music: 0%
- As I only have an engine test up, I havn't done any sound work at all.

Now then, you can help me out on this. Seeing as how I could possibly add up to 151 72dpimon creatures, there's now way I'll be able to think them up myself. However, a 72dpimon creature cannot be anyone's reference character. Actual characters are going to be NPC's instead. I would prefer if designs were either PM'd or posted here. Also, I choose what classification it will be, as in, found often, rare, semi-rare, legendary. I'll think up the starters.

Comments would be nice, and I'll have an engine test sooner or later.

Offline asgardreid

• Posts Very Often
Re: 72dpimon (title pending) delevopment thread.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 03:49:30 PM »
But what should 72dpimon be like? I mean, do they have to be creatures that somehow have relevance to the forum, like a "FLASHMAN" monster that learns Endure at every level? Or should they resemble a new generation of Pokemon? Or can they just be anything?

I think it'd be super neato if the 72dpimon were all actually SMW skins, and used the different poses for attack animations and such, but that's because I'm still a FC recluse who has barely set foot off that board, and I have yet to fully come to terms with the fact that this forum has an identity beyond SMW.

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 03:56:59 PM »
Quote from: "asgardreid"
But what should 72dpimon be like? I mean, do they have to be creatures that somehow have relevance to the forum, like a "FLASHMAN" monster that learns Endure at every level? Or should they resemble a new generation of Pokemon? Or can they just be anything?

I think it'd be super neato if the 72dpimon were all actually SMW skins, and used the different poses for attack animations and such, but that's because I'm still a FC recluse who has barely set foot off that board, and I have yet to fully come to terms with the fact that this forum has an identity beyond SMW.
It really doesn't matter, I would prefer the majority of them be original characters, but there will be some, like an eyebrowless goomba. I'm planning on Flashman being an NPC in the game.
As for trainer characters, I plan on having more than just generic human male and generic human female as heroes. I plan on having several different "species" that are found as references in the forum, such as Humans, dragons,Yoshies, and a few suggested options as well.

Offline MC Jimmy

• Global Moderator
  • Ain't Nothin' but a Hound Dawg
  • Pon de replay?
    • MC Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 10:41:01 AM »
Very good, keep going at it Big JM. :)  Hope it works all well.

Offline Shadoezs

• More Common Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 09:57:43 PM »
great idea, id love to see more
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:25:15 PM by Shadoezs »
[cough][cough][cough][cough]cough[/cough][/cough][/cough][/cough]
My Reference
http://http://www.kumanta.com/lyrics-1291.htm

Offline Agastya

• Pwetty Butterfwy
  • Is probably Booman
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 10:15:51 PM »
Quote from: "Shadoezs"
if its called 72dpimon, shoudlnt it have 72dpi stuff in it? and not all real pokemon?

BTW it is a great idea though.

Reading comprehension is really cool.

Offline Shadoezs

• More Common Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 11:24:30 PM »
oops, sorry, ill edit my post
My Reference

Offline kNova

• More Common Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 06:57:46 PM »
I suggest using famous members and etc as pokemon. You can have different forms of the characters be the different evolutions.

Ex: Jarviar.
At level 1, Jarviar will just be a picture of a Mario or w/e his ORIGINAL avatar was. (BEfore the retarded flashing mario head.)

About at level 32, Jarviar becomes Sfx Jarviar? Mario with a Microphone? (Idk, I'm just doing this as an example.)

At level 46,  Jarviar becomes Flashing Jarviar, he now looks like the retarded Jarviar head and he gets flash related attacks.. Ex: Flash? >>

Yah, I know, not a very good example, but it gives you an idea.

Also, fads like Eyebrowless Goomba, the Landmaster and etc could be added in as pokemon.
Also, LKA ade could be an item like Carbos and Protein and etc, boosts your stats.
The many faces of Nova.
Original   |No Hat |Chibi

God, I'm bored.

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 07:35:26 PM »
Quote from: "McLovin"
I suggest using famous members and etc as pokemon. You can have different forms of the characters be the different evolutions.

At level 1, Jarviar will just be a picture of a Mario or w/e his ORIGINAL avatar was. (BEfore the retarded flashing mario head.)

About at level 32, Jarviar becomes Sfx Jarviar? Mario with a Microphone? (Idk, I'm just doing this as an example.)

At level 46,  Jarviar becomes Flashing Jarviar, he now looks like the retarded Jarviar head and he gets flash related attacks.. Ex: Flash? >>

Also, fads like Eyebrowless Goomba, the Landmaster and etc could be added in as pokemon.
Also, LKA ade could be an item like Carbos and Protein and etc, boosts your stats.
Jarviar is most likely to be either not in or an NPC, as in, probably a boss. I also plan on having a "banned"type of 72dpimon to represent banned members, and all of them will not represent anything close to a banned member's character, out of respect.

Offline Shadoezs

• More Common Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 09:11:03 PM »
you should make maybe places like flashman shrine, and jarviar's castle for the banned mems
My Reference

Offline kNova

• More Common Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 09:48:16 AM »
Quote from: "Big JM"

Jarviar is most likely to be either not in or an NPC, as in, probably a boss. I also plan on having a "banned"type of 72dpimon to represent banned members, and all of them will not represent anything close to a banned member's character, out of respect.

Well, lets face it, banned members are banned for a reason, even if it was due to just a minor slip of judgement on their part. If you use Jarviar's typical characteristics everyone just tosses on him, real or not, I won't mind if you use him for lol's, I doubt he'll mind either. I understand that he has pretty much became an icon in 72dpi history, just like Zash and BMP.

Also.. Instead of levels like.. Level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... Use like... Level 1[sup:12l8h4ct]2[/sup:12l8h4ct], Level 2[sup:12l8h4ct]2[/sup:12l8h4ct], Level 3[sup:12l8h4ct]2[/sup:12l8h4ct], Level 4[sup:12l8h4ct]2[/sup:12l8h4ct]...

Possible pokemon element types could be.. 'Banned', 'Junior Member', 'FC Contributor', 'B^3er', 'Admin', 'Mod'

Admin's beat Moderators, Moderators beat Banned, Banned beats Junior Member... Etc, etc, etc. Also, Admin's are the same as Legendary pokemon.

Edit: If you need someone to help you brainstorm on this, PM me for my e-mail, if you don't have it already. We can talk more about this later.
The many faces of Nova.

God, I'm bored.

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 10:41:26 AM »
Quote from: "Big JM"

Well, lets face it, banned members are banned for a reason, even if it was due to just a minor slip of judgement on their part. If you use Jarviar's typical characteristics everyone just tosses on him, real or not, I won't mind if you use him for lol's, I doubt he'll mind either. I understand that he has pretty much became an icon in 72dpi history, just like Zash and BMP.

Also.. Instead of levels like.. Level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... Use like... Level 1[sup:1e0vz9re]2[/sup:1e0vz9re], Level 2[sup:1e0vz9re]2[/sup:1e0vz9re], Level 3[sup:1e0vz9re]2[/sup:1e0vz9re], Level 4[sup:1e0vz9re]2[/sup:1e0vz9re]...

Possible pokemon element types could be.. 'Banned', 'Junior Member', 'FC Contributor', 'B^3er', 'Admin', 'Mod'

Admin's beat Moderators, Moderators beat Banned, Banned beats Junior Member... Etc, etc, etc. Also, Admin's are the same as Legendary pokemon.

Edit: If you need someone to help you brainstorm on this, PM me for my e-mail, if you don't have it already. We can talk more about this later.
Possible for the levels, but the area I put levels at is kind of cramped, I can move things around (again) to make it work.
I already have plans for a banned  type, and Admin type sounds interesting.
As for ideas, the most I need are 72dpimon designs.

Offline kNova

• More Common Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 12:21:09 PM »
So you need ideas for monsters and characters?
The many faces of Nova.

God, I'm bored.

Offline Yoshi Skier

• Posts Somewhat Often
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 12:23:54 PM »
I suggest that Team Rocket should be Zash, Dorino, and BMP. Also, for 72dpimon, what are you looking for? Characters that are related to the site, such as Sledgy?
Florian Hufsky, 1986~2009. Hopefully now he can see how sorely he is missed and all the lives he has touched.

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 12:28:43 PM »
Quote from: "Yoshi Skier"
I suggest that Team Rocket should be Zash, Dorino, and BMP. Also, for 72dpimon, what are you looking for? Characters that are related to the site, such as Sledgy?
Site related would be easy for me (as I can find references easy), I need help with original 72dpimon creatures.