Author Topic: New system regarding warnings and bans: please read!  (Read 5998 times)

Offline Agastya

• Pwetty Butterfwy
  • Is probably Booman
New system regarding warnings and bans: please read!
« on: July 08, 2008, 07:23:59 PM »
After some discussion, we've decided that the current warning system could be better. We've decided on a system that may seem familiar if you go to MFGG, as we're basically copying it, as it works. For those who don't know what it is:

- Every warn you get gives you a ban. The ban length depends on your warning level, and the offense itself. Smaller offenses (such as bumping topics) won't give you as long a ban time as say, trolling a member. The only exception is if you're new and it's your first offense, in which case it's just a slap on the wrist, unless you do something incredibly stupid.
- When a user is warned for a post, instead of deleting or putting it in the disposal, we will instead edit in the "USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST" line and lock the post to prevent the user from editing it later. Spoofing this message will get you a warning and you really WILL be warned for your post.
- No set limits on when you get permabanned. We will instead decide this on a case-by-case basis. If it only takes us three warnings to realize you're not going to be a good member, then that's how fast you get permabanned. If it takes 15 warns, then so be it. The previous system made it take at least two months to remove a problem user, so hopefully this will smooth things out.
- Only administrators can give you permanent bans. If any moderator gives you one, you should try your best to contact us ASAP.

This is, of course, a trial run to see how well it works, but odds are it's here to stay, so be frosty~

We might also update the rules soon, so keep a lookout for those! They'll be a little more detailed in explaining a few things and will be a bit shorter, pruning out redundancy.

Offline SsF

• Too Much Free Time
Re: New system regarding warnings and bans: please read!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 10:23:22 PM »
i think these are great, personally. this could solve the forum crisis once and for all.

Offline Psuedo

• Global Moderator
  • Quite Some Free Time
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 12:01:15 AM »
Quote from: "ssf"
i think these are great, personally. this could solve the forum crisis once and for all.
What crisis? Honestly, the only "crisis" we have is you guys blowing things out of proportion.

A little info about MFGG, the forum this ban system based off of: Those guys have to deal with more than 4 times as many people as we do. there's a large amount of tension within it's community. There's an group of nearly-anarchist members who will whine any time they get the chance and will try and destroy the reputations of any mods they dislike (their little forum's back of, too.) Many newer members often have very low self-esteem on MFGG from being pushed around too much. they've made significant changes in their staff three times since I first went there (early-mid 2006) and if you look at some of their banlists before the PPP became the CCC, it makes the amount of warns we give out look like nothing.

Using this system is fine and all, seeing as the ol' "13 warns" system tends to get a tad ridiculous in cases like BMP and Dorino, who clearly weren't any good for 72dpi, but I'm sick of you all thinking we're hanging off a ledge over a spiked pit.

Offline MrMister

• Forum Moderator
  • Is probably Booman
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 01:33:40 AM »
I agree with this system. :)

Offline yoshi_the_best

• Kinda Regular
    • http://sysphpbbmods.bplaced.net
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 08:51:11 AM »
I agree, too. Should I sign somewhere?  :lol:

Offline eeliottheking

• MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
    • http://DIGDUG.DIGDUG
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 07:03:45 PM »
so, how many people have been banned by the new system so far?
Hi

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
  • this title came sooner than the last
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 07:07:32 PM »
Quote from: "eeliottheking"
so, how many people have been banned by the new system so far?
As far as I know, 0.

Offline SecretAgentJonathon

• Gettin' Into the Swing of Things
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 10:39:51 AM »
Quote from: "Big JM"
As far as I know, 0.

That's good then, as long as they know not to break the rules so often now then or better yet, never break the rules.

Click here to feed me a treat!
Get your own at Pokeplushies!
R.I.P Florian Hufsky, you\'ll be missed.
1986 - 2009

Offline MrMister

• Forum Moderator
  • Is probably Booman
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 11:02:37 AM »
Please do not bump threads older than three months. :roll:

Since you are a new member I'll let you off with a verbal warning, but don't do it again.

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
  • this title came sooner than the last
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
Quote from: "Mr Mister"
Please do not bump threads older than three months. :roll:

Since you are a new member I'll let you off with a verbal warning, but don't do it again.
Actually, it's fine, Mr. After all, this topic is an announcement. ;)

Offline BPence89

• Kinda Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 04:51:13 PM »
Sounds good.