Author Topic: NEW MEMBERS ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE ABOUT ANYTHING  (Read 94400 times)

Offline Yoshi Skier

• Forum Moderator
  • Posts Somewhat Often
NEW MEMBERS ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE ABOUT ANYTHING
« on: June 10, 2008, 07:36:45 PM »
MC Jimmy and I thought it would be a great idea, seeing the influx of new members joining recently, to create a thread where new members can shamelessly ask reasonable questions about the forum. Whether it be about the different subforums here or different abbreviations, we will do the best we can to answer your questions. Dumb/spam questions will be removed, so don't try screwing around with us.
Florian Hufsky, 1986~2009. Hopefully now he can see how sorely he is missed and all the lives he has touched.

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
  • this title came sooner than the last
Re: NEW MEMBERS ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE ABOUT ANYTHING
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 07:53:39 PM »
Upgraded to announcement, considering a global.

Offline Agastya

• Pwetty Butterfwy
  • Is probably Booman
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 12:21:01 AM »
Sometimes abbreviations are used in the forums in a 4chan style, so here's a heads up on what the more common ones are:

/b3/, Blah^3 - Blah Blah Blah
/fc/ - Fanmade Content
/gd/ - General Discussion
/ab/ - Arts Board
/eee/ - Etc Etc Etc

As you can see, they use the first letters of the name of the forum. So if you see something like.. oh, I dunno.. /smw/, then that would mean Super Mario War forum.

Also, these abbreviations don't necessarily need the slashes, so keep that in mind.

.. just thought I'd add that ahead of time.

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 12:26:51 AM »
Also note the the Blah Blah Blah section itself has different ways of saying it, these are common:
B3, Blah^3, BBB, Blah[sup:6dswmm0m]3[/sup:6dswmm0m], Blah.
Just to name a few.

Offline Ryche

• Too Much Free Time
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 01:30:18 AM »
Quote from: "Big JM"
Also note the the Blah Blah Blah section itself has different ways of saying it, these are common:
B3, Blah^3, BBB, Blah[sup:2bf509d3]3[/sup:2bf509d3], Blah.
Just to name a few.
Or "/ee/", minus the quotes.
[spoilers]Pull something stupid like that with your sig again and you lose it forever.
~LKA

I have no clue what you're talking about and it doesn't matter now.[/spoilers]

Offline Tanuki

• Global Moderator
  • Too Much Free Time
  • strawberry
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 05:51:47 AM »
Quote from: "Twyleiht"
Or "/ee/", minus the quotes.
No. /ee/ stands for Everything Else, which is the older /eee/ (Etc Etc Etc) before merging again.

..As in, previously there were 5 boards: Games Discussion, Cool Links, Forum Games, Arts Board, and 'Everything Else', since those didn't go that well 72 went for merging Games Discussion, Cool Links, and the (very few) nice bits of /ee/ into "General Discussion", which is our /gd/ now, keeping the Arts Board intact, and taking all of /ee/'s crap and shaping it into /eee/, but mostly archiving it. Forum Games was killed, too, sometime previous to the merge.

Maybe three different phases would explain it better

1. blah^3 (all discussion went into this one)

2. Split into:
 /gd/ (Games Discussion)
 /cl/ (Cool Links)
 /fg/ (Forum Games) (killed off)
 /ab/ (Arts Board)
 /ee/ (Everything Else)
(At one point also "lolwut", which was a failed attempt at creating a forum dedicated to spam so that /ee/ would be nicer, but not worth mentioning)

3. Merged into:
 /gd/ (General Discussion)
 /ab/ (Arts Board)
 /eee/ (Etc Etc Etc)

Edit: ..But really, you don't have to know this <:

Offline WK97

• On the Bright Side: You came close to your record for damage healed as Medic
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 03:03:50 PM »
Many times you might here certain names on this forum. Such as, "Jarviar","Mechasomething","Dorino",etc. These people are infamous members of 72 (72dpiarmy) that have been known for certain reasons. Of course, most of them are banned.

Offline Night

• Too Much Free Time
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 05:20:50 PM »
If any new members need help brushing up on a little 72dpi history, please click here

Offline SsF

• Too Much Free Time
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 08:23:07 AM »
in case you guys didn't see this in the announcements forum, then these are all the administrators
Florian
Two52
Jared
LKA

JJames19119
Big JM
Ylle
the ones in red are the higher up admins, and florian is important because he made the forum and is the head administrator.

Offline Turndawg107

• Posts Very Often
    • http://turndawg.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 12:44:36 PM »
Quote from: "ssf"
Florian
Two52
Jared
LKA
JJames19119
Big JM
Ylle

For extra convenience, I have adjusted the color placement to match the level of activity on the forums.  The admins in red check on the forums semi-regularly and(omg) actually post.

Offline lgb

• Lots of Free Time
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 10:13:10 AM »
Welcome Red Warrior, to 72dpi. This is a small community established to assist Florian in his goal of making the best freeware game ever. It works like most other internet bulletin boards, and as such, it has rules and regulations. The staff-approved rules can be found here, but there's a couple of topics they miss.

1. If you ever see someone mention a name such as "Jarviar", "dorino", or "francis_aubry", and it sounds like this person is making fun of any of these names, this is simply that person enjoying the fact that he hasn't been kicked out of 72dpi yet. It's not very harmful, as most of the time, names like this reference certain members here that didn't exactly do what they could have done. The same goes for any sort of mention to names such as "lolwut", "/eee/", or "power-abusive mods". Again, it is simply the person enjoying the fact that he didn't have much to do with "it", that is, "it" getting out of control. Not that he's entirely safe, though.

The name "Touhou" is an exemption from the above rule. Apparently this forum can't stand that 4 members of the place enjoy some game that most of this forum refuses to play, and the forum constantly badgers the 4 or so individuals about it. The fact that these 4 members are also 72dpi staff members, and are an important part of what the forum is really about (i.e. Super Mario War), doesn't really help much. In short, the majority of the forum is just jealous. (But don't forget that Touhou itself is abused... I'd love to tell you more...)

2. Remember to always read every other post in a topic, to avoid repeating something that someone else has already said. Not only that, but you may even learn something you normally wouldn't have known otherwise.

3. Though this was covered in the rules, I thought I could explain it better here. Never ever feed the troll. This means that when a certain member enjoys name-calling, spamming, and other acts of idiocy, and decides to let the forum know about it, leave well enough alone and get out of there. The staff can handle it just fine, and you'll probably get in trouble for biting back anyway. And don't try to stop it either, that could be worse. "Violence for violence" is just a phrase, not what you should do, not what you should do here anyway. That does mean you can spam some other forum you and him both go to; spam his e-mail inbox if you have to take any sort of anger out.

4. If anyone says your Super Mario War content is crap, get a staff member. And PrintScreen the post or private message, as that's the proof the event happened. Upload that picture somewhere, such as imageshack or Picoodle!, take the hotmail link the website gives you, and send that to the staff in a PM. Any staff should do, but it's preferred that you send it to one of the active admins; this is for speed purposes. That is, don't send it to Florian or Two52, send it LKA or BigJM.

I think that's everything. If you ever have any questions, you can either post in this thread, or you can e-mail me at literalgameboy@gmail.com.

Note: The excessive use of "he" and "him" is for the sake of simplicity. That and the fact that someone here will go on and on about how we don't have any female members and drag this topic to 3 unnecessary pages, when they can't always tell for sure... idiots...
Two52 is a small Shot icon.

Offline MC Jimmy

• Global Moderator
  • Ain't Nothin' but a Hound Dawg
  • Pon de replay?
    • MC Productions
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 10:30:28 AM »
I'd like to point out that JJames is semi active, he just doesn't post often. Further more, I think it's safe to say that if anyone having problems can even PM a moderator about the problem. Even if the moderator is for a specific forum such as the case with Mr. Mister, Yoshi Skier, Me, King Pepe, Alex, Booman, and Mad Scienstein...they can still help out by given a person a warn or PM about a problem.

Also offtopic. There are plenty of memebers that like Touhou, like me, but aren't obsessive about it. Not just a few as you say. :P

Offline lgb

• Lots of Free Time
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 10:40:50 AM »
Compared to the amount of members we have, I give you all 4%-5%. Probably less. Don't forget the loli-obsessed nutjobs that don't actually play the games.
Two52 is a small Shot icon.

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 01:03:01 PM »
Quote from: "MC Jimmy"
I'd like to point out that JJames is semi active, he just doesn't post often. Further more, I think it's safe to say that if anyone having problems can even PM a moderator about the problem. Even if the moderator is for a specific forum such as the case with Mr. Mister, Yoshi Skier, Me, King Pepe, Alex, Booman, and Mad Scienstein...they can still help out by given a person a warn or PM about a problem.

Also offtopic. There are plenty of memebers that like Touhou, like me, but aren't obsessive about it. Not just a few as you say. :P
Don't forget about Ylle, and our global mods, Turndawg and Link901. SMWFan likes to work in the background.

Offline JJames19119

• Good times
  • Server Manager
  • MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
  • Bowser Only, All Bombs, Dinal Festination
    • http://72dpiarmy.supersanctuary.net/
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 05:41:55 PM »
I'm slowly growing more active now. However, I did remove myself from the list of people that activate accounts; I never liked working desk jobs.