Author Topic: 9999-in-1 (*the* SMW5 expansion pack)  (Read 1804 times)

Offline brightentayle

9999-in-1 (*the* SMW5 expansion pack)
« on: May 27, 2014, 04:26:15 PM »
THE STORY SO FAR
Well, me and KingPepe are actually long-time buddies, and he shown me his own mod, Super Mari War 5, as long as in 2008. Or 2009, beats me. Duh. Anyway, as soon as I saw it, I started crafting some maps for this particular thing.

It wasn't my first time fooling around with the SMW editor, though, but definitely the first time my maps started coming out really good. What Pepe himself liked the most from this era was, I believe, Happy Harry Trail - a Harry's Legend-based map which heavily relies on rolley-scrolley stuff and getting items via platforms on scrolling background. The tastiest part is that I got to use the tilesets which were planned to be released in SMW5's follow-up, Super Mari War 6: [SkinAmountNumberHere] Peoples. It has been long-forgotten, especially given that Pepe is busy with an actual fighting game, but during its' dev stage, I made some stuff using Panda World tiles nonetheless.

Of course, I lost both the original maps (which were on my old USB stick) and interest to making them further on - and all that was until 2010 when KingPepe was asked by me to resend the whole SMW6 package, complete with the creations I sent him. And there was another four-year hiatus until the new stuff has really started to be dished out - complete with a solid desire to actually finish this mod off. Even though it's gonna be seen by two guys, or so.

God knows whether SMW6 will be the real thing. Hope it will, so 9999-in-1 would be merged.

SO WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT
9999-in-1 (name and menu design based on that so very famous line of multicarts) is naturally an expansion pack for Super Mari War 5, if you didn't read it from the thread's topic already. Unlike SMW5 who tries to make fun by replicating the atmosphere from them bootleg Famiclone games, 9999-in-1 basically takes the resources from the said games and goes hog wild.

For sure, features would include more extensive map detailing (hope it won't hurt your eyes), more gimmicky gameplay on some stages (hope it doesn't ruin your brain) and blending several tilesets from different games to create something monolith, something that doesn't look out of place (hope it won't make you go "bleh, dumbass mashup").

To cement and clarify those features, here are some samples to lurk at!

Ass Capades - shell-throwing playground. You'll never know what hit you. I tell you.
One Toe Death Kick - remixed from KingPepe's Green Hill Zone map. To get the best goodies there ever are, you need to bestow the wisdom of how to hit the question blocks NOT from below.
The Very End Of You - based on the final map of Quake III Arena. Very loosely, though, but it still has the BFGs and a possibility to get punished for baggin' it.

There's also a new music pack! ...which has little to do with NES and more with pirates. Not sure whether there's gonna be any worlds, but if there will be, I'm off making tilesets for them.

That's all, folks.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:40:37 PM by brightentayle »

Offline brightentayle

Re: 9999-in-1 (*the* SMW5 expansion pack)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 12:50:15 PM »
Rest in peace, 72dpiarmy community, while I post one more video.

Vertical Offense - Let us cling together until elevator do us part.

Offline Smash and Crash.1

• Lots of Free Time
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 12:17:00 AM »
RIP

Brawl FC: 5112 3187 4510
Tatsunoko vs Capcom FC: 1720 6487 6427

Offline brightentayle

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 09:34:54 AM »
Welp, back to business.

Zero Tolerance - Not packaged with the actual Zero Tolerance (TM).
Bragging For Sumo - All you need is push. Push is all you need.
Dead Posterity - "Be careful not to fall!" © every Sonic Heroes character ever.