I bet some of you are pretty happy with your emulators and homebrew apps and games. Well it just got better! If any of you have tried the n64 emulator, then by now you must now it sucks a fat one (at least until the team working on it has made more progress that is. I know you guys are trying your hardest, keep up the good work) But i have an alternative method for running n64 games on your wii for now.
Just so you know, a .wad file is the raw dump of data left from a decrypted VC game. When you copy a VC game to your wii it is a content.bin state, or a encrypted state so that you are unable to move it to another wii and install it. each wii has a unique key.bin file used for your wii to decrypt the VC game. This file is not copied over when you move your game to an SD card.
Wad injection! This is the process of removing the roms from VC channels and injecting your own into them! WARNING: THERE ARE SEVERAL DRAW BACKS TO USING THIS SYSTEM
1. The channel MUST be stored on your wii (severely limits your space for roms)
2. Only 1 rom can be stored in each channel.
3. Unless you have quite a bit of skill in hex editing and decompiling wad images, the rom will appear exactly to the same as the host wad. (EX: I use The sin and punishment wad and inject smash bros 64 into it. The game will have sin and punishment's save image, when you click on the channel in your wii it will have a preview of sin and punishment, the controls will be mapped for sin and punishment, it will have sin and punishments Home manual, and it is limited to the amount of players sin and punishment had.)
4. It is extremely hard to do this without obtaining illegal files (but possible, and i will discuss both methods).
However, there are some advantages to emulating it on the wii rather than the PC.
Nintendo did any amazing job in designing their emulator. You WILL
be able to get some roms to run faster and with fewer gfx/sfx errors than your computer n64 emulator.
I would also like to say at this time that while you are able to use wad injection with other VC games and consoles, i will only be addressing the n64 because as of now the Homebrew n64 emu is shit, and there are quite a few regular emulators for other consoles that will run TONS
better than their nintendo counterpart, and they are safer and easier to use.
Also, if you are reading this in hopes of being able to run any n64 expansion game (perfect dark, DK 64, majora's mask, etc.) stop now. Ninty's emu's are updated as they need to add support for their games. Since none of their releases so far are Esxpansion games, the games wont even to begin to launch, and will cause a massive crash on your wii. This will not hurt it, but it will require a hard reboot.
First thing im going to address is the illegal path (EXTREMELY EASY) And the legal path (VERY DIFFICULT, ADVANCED USER, PLUS YOU NEED TO OWN THE VC GAME SIN AND PUNISHMENT AS THAT HAS THE LATEST/MOST POWERFUL VERSION OF NINTY'S N64 EMU!)
* obtain a key.bin file (most commonly known as common-key.bin) you do not need the one from your wii. Just anyone. This file is illegal to download and distribute. a key.bin file is needed to decompile the wad file, but since our methods of installation bypass the wii's content checking, you do not need yours for it to be installed.
*Obtain a sin & punishment .wad
*both of these files can be found at "the usual places" DO NOT ASK FOR THEM*
*oh boy, let me start of by warning you that yo my quite easily be getting into some stuff thats way over your head. You need to be able to extract your own sin ad punishment .wad file, and your own key.bin file. This uses a method that may brick your wii, and is VERY ADVANCED! I say since you are doing this to inject ROMS (something you probably have obtained illegally anyway) into files, why not just break the law again?
*I am not even going to deal with this. If you brick your wii its your own fault. - http://wiinewz.com/forums/nintendo-news ... er-v1.html
This will get you started.
Alright if you are looking to only insert your rom, and have no interest in modifying anything else (so even though your wii will be running the new rom, it will have all of the old info/controls from the previous game)...
...then you only need 2 things (besides the previously listed files)!
1. http://skhsarki.extra.hu/files/download ... Anorch.zip
- the wad manager (documentation - http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/WAD_Manager
- auto injectuwad (Documentation/tutorial - http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=85521
Install the wad manager on to your wii via the HBC channel or the twilight hack, and then use it to install the modified wad!
If you plan on editing the wad further for pretty much custom anything, look below. Some of this stuff is for advanced users only!
Tutorial for everything - http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=91206
More in-depth banner editing tutorial. - http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=89793
Thats it for now, i will probably update this more later. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR NEED HELP, PLEASE ASK ME THEM IN IRC! DO NOT POST THEM HERE! DO NOT ASK FOR WADS, ROMS, OR COMMON-KEY.BIN HERE!