Author Topic: [Minor Suggestion]  (Read 989 times)

Offline Link901

• Global Moderator
  • Too Much Free Time
[Minor Suggestion]
« on: May 12, 2008, 12:00:57 PM »
Just thought I'd ask, but is there any way we could port the beta of 1.8 to an XBox360 when it goes public?  Or can that even be done??  I wouldn't know, I don't have a clue on how to port the game.  I'm only asking because I've got a few friends with an XBox 360, and I've always wanted to try playin' SMW on one.

Offline Two52

• Administrator
  • Posts Very Often
Re: [Minor Suggestion]
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 02:42:17 PM »
As soon as homebrew is running on the 360, we'll see if we can do it.  Currently, they are making good progress on the homebrew front, but nothing is really working yet.  They have a good timing attack that will work, but it really isn't main stream yet.  I'm hoping we'll see a good modchip in 6 months or so.  Then we'll need some infrastructure like the 360 dev kit and SDLx for 360.  When I have all those pieces, smw360 will be soon to follow.

Offline JJames19119

• Good times
  • Server Manager
  • MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
  • Bowser Only, All Bombs, Dinal Festination
    • http://72dpiarmy.supersanctuary.net/
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 04:23:39 PM »
Considering it's backwards compatible...wouldn't normal XBox binaries work on the 360? Or am I being naive?

Offline Two52

• Administrator
  • Posts Very Often
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 11:30:13 PM »
No, it would have to be recompiled.  Xbox games are backwards compatible, but only because there is an xbox1 emulator built into the 360 and each game has a special configuration that can be downloaded from live to allow you to play it.  That's why it is not 100% backwards compatible.  The source itself would probably run with little or no modification, but it will still require the dev kit and SDLx to be compiled to the 360 format.