Author Topic: Windows Live Messenger installation woes.  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Jester Frog

• Regular
Windows Live Messenger installation woes.
« on: May 04, 2008, 12:06:34 AM »
So, I've been having tons of trouble with the re-installation of Messenger after uninstalling it after it was having some problems. It gets to the part where it says "Checking your computer for Windows Live products" then gets a little red X and stops. So far I've tried:
* Clearing the registry entries for the old Messenger
* Disabling firewalls
* Deleting installation files and redownloading the installer
* Deleting old "MSN Messenger" (which KingPepe hates me for... ;_;)
* Restarting the computer (duh)

So, smart peoples of 72... any solutions? Maybe a recommendation for an alternative messenger program that supports MSN? Pepe says Trillian or Meebo, but still not sure. Help?

Offline lgb

• Lots of Free Time
Re: Windows Live Messenger installation woes.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 02:14:07 PM »
Now I'm not the greatest at this stuff, but I think I can provide a few answers.

1) Never ever delete the old copy. Make a backup if you have to. Heck, don't even delete the install program, if it has one.

1a)In fact, I keep both Winamp 2 and Winamp 3 because 2 doesn't play .ogg files and 3 is slow. And 5 doesn't always work, not to mention anything I do is already in Winamp 3 to begin with.

2) If you can find an old Windows Live, get it. Of course, this is pretty self-explanatory.

3) Of those two, I'd have to say Trillian. I haven't tried Meebo.

Now I have a question: what operating system are you using? If it's Vista, maybe it's a bug. It's happened before.
Two52 is a small Shot icon.

Offline Ylle

• Administrator
  • Posts Very Often
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 04:48:43 PM »
If all is lost, and you must by all means use a messenger...
http://pidgin.im/ its no MSN plus. But its decent.

You can send and receive files and talk with eachother.
This sig is now blank.

Offline Jester Frog

• Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 02:13:31 AM »
Quote from: "LGB"
Now I'm not the greatest at this stuff, but I think I can provide a few answers.

1) Never ever delete the old copy. Make a backup if you have to. Heck, don't even delete the install program, if it has one.
Well, too late for that... permanently gone now, sadly. Whoops.

Quote from: "LGB"
Now I have a question: what operating system are you using? If it's Vista, maybe it's a bug. It's happened before.
Windows XP. And in my research it's apparently a common problem (uninstalling and trying to reinstall). But the common solutions (AKA the list in the first post) haven't worked.

As for the other things, I've got Trillian, don't really like it (IT OVERRIDES OTHER PEOPLE'S FONTS...grrr), Meebo is online only so that's out of the picture and I may be able to find an old messenger.

Oh, and I'll try Pidgin perhaps.

Offline Ylle

• Administrator
  • Posts Very Often
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 03:24:52 AM »
Trillian is bloatware.
It takes up for too much of the system resources to actually be a decent client.
This sig is now blank.

Offline Linkfox

• Almost Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
The latest versions of Yahoo Messenger lets you talk to people who use Windows Live Messenger!

Granted that's no use to me seeing as I have both *shrugs*

Offline KingPepe

• this title came sooner than the last
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 04:20:36 PM »
Quote from: "Linkfox"
The latest versions of Yahoo Messenger lets you talk to people who use Windows Live Messenger!

Granted that's no use to me seeing as I have both *shrugs*

Yahoo's IM talking to people with MSN is kinda crap. I mean it's ok but it's get out of hand for me (MSN) when I try to talk to Felix (Yahoo). He doesn't receive my message sometimes at random times (Unless it is being sent, he sees them and MSN is just being an ***) and he appears offline. (unless he's just being invisible)

Quote from: \"JJames19119\"
Times today are just as bad what with the video game market being made up of 80% first person shooters that are 80% brown and 20% black and 100% bloom.