Author Topic: So let's try this again.  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Psuedo

• Global Moderator
  • Quite Some Free Time
So let's try this again.
« on: April 24, 2008, 09:35:35 PM »

For those of you that remember, a while ago I suggested merging the B^3 forums back together. The results were basically... nothing. But now I think we can have a more intelligent discussion, thanks to a few  recent events.

Simply put, I think the current layout of our "offtopic" forums could be better. Last time I suggested a full merge, this time I think something else would be better. And with 1.8 on it's way, it'd be best if changes were made BEFORE the flood of newbies. Now the splitting of the Blah Blah Blah forum occurred because of a number of events, some of which would still present, others which wouldn't. The ones I can think of are:

1. The forum is too big for one offtopic forum.
-This is true. Looking at the number of stickies each of these forums have, it's clear we couldn't re-join the forums without having to re-define "what deserves a sticky" among other things.

2. People talk about Touhou too much.
-The whole Touhou thing really calmed down a while ago. Although there's stuff out there nowadays which seems to affect 72dpi similar to how Touhou did, the reason those Touhou threads seemed so plentiful was beacuse the Touhou fans were the only people posting in the B^3 at the time.

3. Good threads get pushed beneath bad ones.
-This is the big one. The reason why it'd be difficult to do a full merge. I don't have any solution which doesn't allow Nazi quality control here, but we can put all the good threads in one place, and the bad ones in another...

So the idea I came up with was to have 3 offtopic forums. The first of which would be simply called "offtopic." This forum would be for news, game discussion, non-idiotic links, and other relevant things. There's a reason why art isn't on that list, though. And that's because I'd imagine artists wouldn't want their masterpeices being pushed down by a thread about Jack Thompson or whatever. Thus, the Arts Board would remain the way it is now. The third would be Blah Blah Blah. For casual and generally irrelevant discussion.

So what do you guys think? Discuss.

Offline Agastya

• Pwetty Butterfwy
  • Is probably Booman
Re: So let's try this again.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 09:43:31 PM »
How are we going to go about with all the other current topics though?

Should we make another archive forum, drop 'em in there, and then move the topics in all these ar-.. oh god the.. pain

But I'm really up for this.

Offline Shadoezs

• More Common Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 09:44:25 PM »
same here
[cough][cough][cough][cough]cough[/cough][/cough][/cough][/cough]
My Reference
http://http://www.kumanta.com/lyrics-1291.htm

Offline Yoshi Skier

• Forum Moderator
  • Posts Somewhat Often
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 09:50:19 PM »
Hmm, so like merging cool links with Game Discussion essentially? Fine by me. Also, what do you mean by "other relevant things"? And by news do you mean world news, or video game-related news?
Florian Hufsky, 1986~2009. Hopefully now he can see how sorely he is missed and all the lives he has touched.

Offline KingPepe

• Forum Moderator
  • this title came sooner than the last
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 09:53:06 PM »
Sounds pretty good.
I can imagine it being like this.

Quote from: \"JJames19119\"
Times today are just as bad what with the video game market being made up of 80% first person shooters that are 80% brown and 20% black and 100% bloom.

Offline Psuedo

• Global Moderator
  • Quite Some Free Time
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 09:54:02 PM »
Cool links would kinda be split in half. Threads like "LOL FAT MAN DANCES ON YOUTUBE!!!!" would go to Blah Blah Blah, but ones like "Hey this is really handy" would go to offtopic.

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
  • this title came sooner than the last
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 09:56:10 PM »
This is how it sounds like to me (in MFGG terms, at least, to get the idea right):
General Chat
Arts Board
CCC - with hopefully less stupid.

Sounds fine to me.