Author Topic: Bombs  (Read 2014 times)

Offline Jared

• Administrator
  • Quite Some Free Time
Bombs
« on: April 17, 2008, 11:28:17 PM »
Long story short, they suck.  I'll take ANY other weapon over them, given the option.  In my hands, at least, they're completely useless.  They last too long and everyone can easily avoid them because they're so obvious.

What am I doing wrong?  And if I'm not, how can we make them better?

Offline Two52

• Administrator
  • Posts Very Often
Re: Bombs
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 11:34:37 PM »
Good point.  They do kinda suck.  Maybe allow the player to remote detonate like the kaboomerang?  The bomb will need to sit for a little while before we can do this though, or they will be way too powerful.  Also, maybe a smaller explosion would be good.

Offline Jared

• Administrator
  • Quite Some Free Time
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 11:36:19 PM »
Either that or:

1) Only you can pick up your own bombs.  Other players try it, they detonate instantly.
2) Allow two at once.  Maybe even three, why the hell not?

Eh, I don't know.  Maybe ask when the first public beta comes out.

Offline KingPepe

• Forum Moderator
  • this title came sooner than the last
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 11:46:04 PM »
I like blowing things up with bombs back in SMWar. But the weapon REALLY sucks now just like Jared said.

...speaking of bombs, whatever happened to the Yellow Sledge Bro/BomberSledge?

Infact...what happened to all the Sledge Bros? They don't pop up like they normally do in AFE, yet their graphics and maps are left behind.

Quote from: \"JJames19119\"
Times today are just as bad what with the video game market being made up of 80% first person shooters that are 80% brown and 20% black and 100% bloom.

Offline JJames19119

• Good times
  • Server Manager
  • MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
  • Bowser Only, All Bombs, Dinal Festination
    • http://72dpiarmy.supersanctuary.net/
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 01:45:42 AM »
I like the idea of having at least two on the map at one time, and shorten their fuses just a tad. That should make them better.

Offline General Guy

• Lots of Free Time
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 01:55:17 AM »
Quote from: "Schwer-Muta"
I like the idea of having at least two on the map at one time, and shorten their fuses just a tad. That should make them better.

It also might help to make yellow blocks destructable via explosions. That way bombs can be used as "keys" to open certain areas on a map ;)
Requiescat in pace Florian Hufsky.

A great mind and creative person left our world.

Offline Agastya

• Pwetty Butterfwy
  • Is probably Booman
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 06:39:04 AM »
at least a two second wait before you can manually detonate it, and only have one out if you're going to do that. the detonation also makes you chuck another one

also I rock with the bombs so :3

Offline Jared

• Administrator
  • Quite Some Free Time
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 08:48:29 AM »
Here's what I'm thinking, taking this stuff into account.

1) Shorten the time a bit.
2) Allow two on-screen at once.
3) Add a 1.5 second delay between pulling out one bomb and another.
4) If you try to pull out a third bomb, the first one explodes.  (This is what the delay is for.  Having it any shorter would allow you to sort of "chain" explosions pretty much all over.)
5) Make the Rock Blocks from SMB2 destroyable with bombs, if Two52 doesn't mind having another interactive block.  But in the games, explosions don't damage regular bricks or flip blocks, so I don't think they should here.

Thoughts?

Offline General Guy

• Lots of Free Time
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 09:43:31 AM »
Quote from: "Jared"

4) If you try to pull out a third bomb, the first one explodes.  (This is what the delay is for.  Having it any shorter would allow you to sort of "chain" explosions pretty much all over.)
5) Make the Rock Blocks from SMB2 destroyable with bombs, if Two52 doesn't mind having another interactive block.  But in the games, explosions don't damage regular bricks or flip blocks, so I don't think they should here.

Thoughts?

Approved >:D
Requiescat in pace Florian Hufsky.

A great mind and creative person left our world.

Offline Sgraff87

• More Common Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 11:28:36 AM »
I would like to have the SMB3 blocks breakable from the bomb as well. But SMB2 ones are cool.

Offline Link901

• Global Moderator
  • Too Much Free Time
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 11:35:13 AM »
I've gotta agree with the suggestions so far, Jared.  Personally, I'm a fairly hazardous person with the bomb, but that would make 'em way more versatile!

By the way, Jared.  An easy way to get bomb kills is by carrying the bomb and kicking it at 'em when it's just about to blow up.  I do that with the Ztar, too... great way to aggravate your pals!

Offline Sgraff87

• More Common Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 11:46:12 AM »
I would suggest that they explode if hit with something such as a fireball. I am assuming that they do not since I have not seen that yet.

Offline JJames19119

• Good times
  • Server Manager
  • MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
  • Bowser Only, All Bombs, Dinal Festination
    • http://72dpiarmy.supersanctuary.net/
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
Quote from: "Jared"

Thoughts?

I like this setup.

Offline Two52

• Administrator
  • Posts Very Often
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 04:03:31 PM »
There is a bomb destroyable interaction block, so I don't think we need another SMB2 one.

Yeah, I like these ideas.