Author Topic: Doujin Soft games  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Turndawg107

• Posts Very Often
    • http://turndawg.wordpress.com/
Doujin Soft games
« on: March 24, 2008, 02:56:02 PM »
I decided to, well, start up a thread showcasing a few doujin games.  Doujin soft games are most closely considered to be the japanese equivalent to homebrew or fangames.  The biggest difference is in the level of complexity and attention to detail these developers have with their games.  With that in mind, it is very unsurprising to see many doujin games surpass retail games in quality and entertainment.  This is because the people behind them do it for the sake of building a good game, not for a fatty paycheck.  Without further ado, I shall divert your attention to three doujin games which I have found to meet the standards of how these games are made.

[center:1146fvs6]
[youtube:1146fvs6]B7jH9rj_z_Q[/youtube:1146fvs6][/center:1146fvs6]

An impressive Megaman clone, you are shooting your way through 8 initial levels, defeating the master of each, complete with an arsenal of weaponry you have acquired from each level.  A rather challenging, but impressive and beautiful-looking experience, Rosenkreuz Stilette is well worth any Megaman fan's attention.

[youtube:1146fvs6]39Ixw6C5HA4[/youtube:1146fvs6][/center:1146fvs6]

One of the most polished-looking STGs(shooting games) to have ever come out of the doujin community, Ether Vapor makes use of a ship that includes three different and distinctive weapon types and utilizes both top-down and sidescrolling perspectives.  It also features a unique "interception" mode in which you use your missiles to lock on and shoot down specific targets.  You also unlock more lives and continues as you keep playing, so you'll always make more progress each time you play.

[youtube:1146fvs6]wNHzMzK9GsA[/youtube:1146fvs6][/center:1146fvs6]

Probably the best stand-alone danmaku(curtain fire/bullet hell) STG to have never been retailed on a major scale, Hellsinker is by far the most complex shooter in the world of doujin soft.  Offering a truly surreal experience coupled with wonderful music and epic battles, 4 characters(one of which must be unlocked), 4 different menu formats that change as you progress more through the game, not to mention a grand total of 13 levels(maybe more), it is a very meaty and impressive arcade-style shmup.

Credit goes to Holy of doujinstyle for the banners.

Feel free to share your own recommendations or discuss anything doujin-related here.

Offline lgb

• Lots of Free Time
Re: Doujin Soft games
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 11:59:39 AM »
Give Holy some credit for those banners, eh?

=Gundeadligne=
[youtube:cq7a13ev]LMZKWoPGoyM[/youtube:cq7a13ev]
(I hate how no one has moved on from Novice yet. Hoo.)
Here's something lovely. What seems like Touhou at first glance, turns out to be something far worse than anything I've encountered yet. Except Battle Garegga, maybe.

=Cave Story=
[youtube:cq7a13ev]Nm2KhNt6SGs[/youtube:cq7a13ev]
You know what THIS is. The movie is actually a superplay through the true last level, which is timed. (Good run tho)
--------
I actually have people who call SMW doujin, I have.
Two52 is a small Shot icon.

Offline MC Jimmy

• Global Moderator
  • Ain't Nothin' but a Hound Dawg
  • Pon de replay?
    • MC Productions
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 07:55:12 PM »
I recommend HellSinker to everyone. Best game ever!!!

Offline Chiisu

• More Common Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 09:32:53 PM »
Everyone loves Cave Story. I myself have no Doujin soft games that aren't Touhou related that people know about already to contribute. Also, I want Ether Vapor, but I can't find it D=

Offline JJames19119

• Good times
  • Server Manager
  • MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
  • Bowser Only, All Bombs, Dinal Festination
    • http://72dpiarmy.supersanctuary.net/
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 11:06:54 PM »
Azumanga Taisen Battle He Cho

Drill Milky Punch

Utawarerumono Battle

Too lazy to get descriptions, banners etc.

Here are some banners

Offline Turndawg107

• Posts Very Often
    • http://turndawg.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 11:26:22 PM »
So I logged back on for a bit to let you guys know that I added links to the banners in my first post, so now you don't have to dig around for the games anymore.

Offline lgb

• Lots of Free Time
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 06:27:30 PM »
Well, if I can be allowed to be a jerk?

Technically, DoujinStyle is considered piracy. I don't care what you say. It's the truth. You're supposed to buy this stuff dude. It's just as bad as ROMs. :wink:
Two52 is a small Shot icon.