Author Topic: We're in a recession now.  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Yoshi Skier

• Forum Moderator
  • Posts Somewhat Often
We're in a recession now.
« on: March 13, 2008, 06:06:24 PM »
So they say on Yahoo. And it's been obvious for a while now. Talk about depressing. Discuss.
Florian Hufsky, 1986~2009. Hopefully now he can see how sorely he is missed and all the lives he has touched.

Offline AlMightyBob

• Regular
Re: We're in a recession now.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 06:17:15 PM »
10 quid says no one will bother reading loads of paragraphs full of boring statistics that don't relate to most of us cause most of us don't have jobs.
Quote from: \"Garry Newman\"
I got banned from the swimming pool yesterday. My speedos were a bit worn so they threw me out. The ā€™sā€™ had fallen off.

Offline Yoshi Skier

• Forum Moderator
  • Posts Somewhat Often
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 06:25:22 PM »
Quote from: "AlMightyBob"
10 quid says no one will bother reading loads of paragraphs full of boring statistics that don't relate to most of us cause most of us don't have jobs.
You think this doesn't relate to any of us? Think again. The baby boomer generation is starting to retire. With all those people retiring, we're going to have to start paying their social security in a couple of years.

There are a billion negative effects, but here's one that'll relate to you. The government sponsors a lot of scholarship money and financial support for kids going to college. The government's in recession. They're going to start pulling all that financial support and we're going to have to pay a ton for college, more than any other generation before us.
Florian Hufsky, 1986~2009. Hopefully now he can see how sorely he is missed and all the lives he has touched.

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
  • this title came sooner than the last
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 08:38:44 PM »
It would help if diesel prices were not sky high, because just about everything is shipped by trucks, which are fueled by diesel.

Offline AlMightyBob

• Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 08:41:07 PM »
Quote from: "yoshi_skier"
Quote from: "AlMightyBob"
You think this doesn't relate to any of us? Think again. The baby boomer generation is starting to retire. With all those people retiring, we're going to have to start paying their social security in a couple of years.

There are a billion negative effects, but here's one that'll relate to you. The government sponsors a lot of scholarship money and financial support for kids going to college. The government's in recession. They're going to start pulling all that financial support and we're going to have to pay a ton for college, more than any other generation before us.

I'm not American. And I'm going to University. And the Scottish government get to pay my fees.
Quote from: \"Garry Newman\"
I got banned from the swimming pool yesterday. My speedos were a bit worn so they threw me out. The ā€™sā€™ had fallen off.

Offline kNova

• More Common Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 11:17:15 PM »
I think this topic is mainly referring to Americans. Unfortunately, this will make it hard for us budding adults, just about to hit 18 and get out of highschool, I'm 16 now and worried, already, I've realized that in order to secure a good future for me and my future wife, whoever it may be (though I prefer to say it'd be my current girlfriend, but who on earth knows these days?), but I'll have to most likely enlist in the military.

Recession is such an easy thing to avoid too, recession occurs when too much money is being hoarded by the few richer members of society, for a quick fix, have Bill Gates and anyone with 5+ millions dollars start spending more money and stop stockpiling it. They can't just spend it all at once, if so, then the economy will get a jump start, factories popping up all over the place, goods flying off the shelves nation-wide, but shortly after, once the rich get their 'fill' then that sudden surge will be wiped from the economy, people will get fired again and the economy will still hit a depression. However, if the rich just start spending more money steadily, it'll just feed the economy, keep the money flowing.
The many faces of Nova.
Original   |No Hat |Chibi

God, I'm bored.

Offline Yoshi Skier

• Forum Moderator
  • Posts Somewhat Often
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
The problem is that we're not just in a recession; we're in something that economists call a stagflation. Essentially, a stagflation is a cross between inflation and stagnation (which is slow economic growth with increasing unemployment). Unfortunately,this is very difficult to reverse. A stagflation has problems in both the supply and demand of the economy; the government can only effect the demand side, not the supply.

Offline kNova

• More Common Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 02:45:42 AM »
I swear, you made that word up. 'Stagflation'

//googles.

Shit, you didn't. D; XD
The many faces of Nova.
Original   |No Hat |Chibi

God, I'm bored.

Offline WK97

• On the Bright Side: You came close to your record for damage healed as Medic
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 08:14:42 AM »
I'm not worried, im only 14.
So, yeah.