Author Topic: Midna's Map Factory (Requests are Open! C+C, plz.)  (Read 9169 times)

Offline Crunchy

• Almost Regular
Re: Midna's Map Factory (Requests are Open!)
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 09:08:55 PM »
I have 2 requests! but if you havent played paper mario then... I dunno...

outside of shyguys toybox and inside of shyguys toybox.

I\'ve made some very stupid choices on this forum.  I hope to do much better than I have been.

Offline Midna

• Gettin' Into the Swing of Things
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 08:31:41 AM »
Quote from: "Crunchy"
I have 2 requests! but if you havent played paper mario then... I dunno...

outside of shyguys toybox and inside of shyguys toybox.

There was a lot of extra space that was just begging for "extra material", so I plopped in a couple of platforms and blocks.

Only three rooms and it was mostly done from memory, but it was the best I could do in SMWar's level editor.
Old stuff.
Older stuff.
Most popular map] Shy Guy\'s Toy Box, with 17 DLs
Most popular upload: Hi-Res Cream, with 27 DLs
Most commented upload: Sonic Rush, with 1 comment
(There was a Shy Guy army image here, but TinyPic said "screw that".)

Offline Crunchy

• Almost Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 07:13:13 PM »
Thanks! Request a DS map of anykind anytime (a DS map of any game because you made me something, ussually its ONLY Mario games)

I\'ve made some very stupid choices on this forum.  I hope to do much better than I have been.

Offline Midna

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 09:42:07 PM »
Thanks! Request a DS map of anykind anytime (a DS map of any game because you made me something, ussually its ONLY Mario games)

Two for the price of one! (Idea sort of borrowed from Peardian, so.. yeah.)
Old stuff.
Older stuff.

Offline Crunchy

• Almost Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 09:15:02 PM »
Errm thanks but... I said YOU could request one.... I'm a DS map maker... but I'll take em anyway...

Offline Midna

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 05:17:09 PM »
Errm thanks but... I said YOU could request one.... I'm a DS map maker... but I'll take em anyway...

Oh well, as long as you like 'em.
Old stuff.
Older stuff.

Offline Crunchy

• Almost Regular
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 05:38:20 PM »
Really the main reason I downoaded them wa because I'm a DS map LOVER. oh and mabe you can make a paper mario map? (if you played on Paper Mario.map you'll know what style of map I'm talking about.)

Offline Midna

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2008, 08:46:27 PM »
Really the main reason I downoaded them wa because I'm a DS map LOVER. oh and mabe you can make a paper mario map? (if you played on Paper Mario.map you'll know what style of map I'm talking about.)

I'm assuming you mean a stage, like the kind you fight enemies on in the first Paper Mario game. If so, then...

I put a little twist on the theme of the map request, and made it so you can exit the "stage" area (with the props). Don't abuse this feature, though - you could wind up trapped outside, and there are no On/Off blocks out there...

"Nice 'o the princess to invite us over for a picnic, eh Luigi?"

"I hope she made LOTSA PIPEGHETTI!"

Anyway, the point is, this map just randomly struck me with a sword of pure inspiration one day, and I got to work on it so I wouldn't have to use any more weird metaphors. Enter a pipe to move around the stage, but watch out - if you're stuck in the area with the red switch block and the ? block on the other side, and the On/Off block is turned to On...

Let's just say you should be thankful if another player finds your way there.

A novelty map, in which you can travel through time to the Stone Age, colonial times, and present-day via the help of a trusty time machine. Jump in a pipe on the machine to be sent into the past/future; if you're sent to the Stone Age or to colonial times, then you'll have to find an On/Off block and make sure it's set to Off.

This was done for a root admin on another forum I go to. Since he's a Raichu, there needs to me as much electricity or machinery in his castle as there is... castle. The first floor contains an energy generator (don't step on the wires, or the words of Ganon will come true), the second floor has a deadly (and pointy) security system, and the third floor has a heaping helping of Ice Blocks, as well as a balcony that you can access if you've turned off the On/Off block. There, you'll find two ? blocks and a wonderful view.

(Neither players nor items can spawn on the balcony.)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 10:42:51 PM by Midna »
Old stuff.
Older stuff.

Offline Crunchy

• Almost Regular
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2008, 10:12:48 PM »
Wow nice maps (I downloaded them all I'm becoming a fan of your maps) hmm hows about... making a palace for me? a pipe leads into the palace... rooms... err... make a hut from paper mario in gustly glutch... errrm make Minda's factory! (hint hint?) and thats all for now.. the palace.. will be a boo palace called crunchy's palace or a reqular palace called David's palace.. (sorry for the so many requests)

Offline Midna

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2008, 06:49:48 PM »
Wow nice maps (I downloaded them all I'm becoming a fan of your maps) hmm hows about... making a palace for me? a pipe leads into the palace... rooms... err... make a hut from paper mario in gustly glutch... errrm make Minda's factory! (hint hint?) and thats all for now.. the palace.. will be a boo palace called crunchy's palace or a reqular palace called David's palace.. (sorry for the so many requests)

Crunchy's palace, actually a haunted house. Enter a pipe to get around, but watch out - you might not pop out where you want to be. You can access the entrance hall, the dining room, the bedroom, and the throne room - CPUs tend to be too stupid to leave the room they're in, making this match perfect for Owned, Jail, or other such game modes.

The gigantic, tilted hut located partway through Gusty Gulch. You can't tell from the preview, but Boos fly overhead (they're white, not tan - maybe they're visitors from Boo Mansion), and a skull bobs up and down to take you to the top of the hut from its east side. You can enter the hut through invisible pipes, where two otherwise-hidden ? blocks lie.

(You can't spawn inside the hut.)

This is where it all happens. Hidden away in my Spy Guy base, the Map Factory includes the base's master computer, where all of my maps are created. After I save them, they're transported through the wires coming out of the computer to the vase-like apparatus near the conveyor belt, where they're compacted into the smallest possible size. They are then packed into a box and are shipped to SMWstuff, and then I upload them here.

(Or I might just have a normal computer and do it the way everyone else does. Whatev.)
Old stuff.
Older stuff.

Offline Crunchy

• Almost Regular
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2008, 07:27:09 PM »
Nice maps I'm gonna download them now! errm lets see make a.... Comic like map! to get to other panels you teleport or something!

Offline Yoshi Skier

• Forum Moderator
  • Posts Somewhat Often
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2008, 05:45:44 PM »
I did download the three maps, even though it didn't register in the counter, but I've played all three...

Crunchy's Palace: Cramped. I didn't have a lot of room to jump around; I felt very limited. Interesting idea, but the bots didn't respond well. Whenever you get a map like this, the bots tend to just sit in one area and do nothing. Like the tile use and themes though.

Gluch Hut: I really like the idea. Avoid putting item boxes at the very top of the screen - then the player can't see what's inside, leading to a possible cheap kill. Some of the warps were confusing. But it was fun to play, I have to admit. I like the inside area being separate to the outside.

Midna's Map Factory: The beginning was great, with a mad rush to the blue throw blocks. It was really annoying getting to the top left section. The pipe up there was also misleading, since it isn't a warp point; it lead to a cheap kill of mine. Again the theme of the tiles used was great. Again, a bit cramped.

My #1 advice: give more space for the players to move around with. It sometimes feels very cramped, and my movement was at times limited. The themes and colors are awesome, and your ideas are very imaginative. Keep it up!
Florian Hufsky, 1986~2009. Hopefully now he can see how sorely he is missed and all the lives he has touched.

Offline Raichu

• Regular
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2008, 03:11:34 PM »
can You Make Some Of The Levels From Super Mario World?
I\'m a....

click on the pic to see what pokemon YOU are!

Offline Ryche

• Too Much Free Time
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2008, 06:31:36 PM »
Make a map of Kirby Superstar.
[spoilers]Pull something stupid like that with your sig again and you lose it forever.
~LKA

I have no clue what you're talking about and it doesn't matter now.[/spoilers]

Offline Midna

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2008, 06:49:36 PM »
Nice maps I'm gonna download them now! errm lets see make a.... Comic like map! to get to other panels you teleport or something!

Name lifted from a Sega Genesis video game. It was a lot better in my head, but I'm still pretty happy with how it turned out. (Note that you don't warp between the panels, you walk between them a la the video game - but only when the On/Off blocks are set to Off. I did this because the CPUs wouldn't like it otherwise. It worked... a little.) It's kind of hard to tell what's going on, so here's the lowdown:

Panel 1 features an orange-hatted guy going "...". Panel 2 has a "BOM" explosion. Panel 3 has the same orange-hatted guy with a "!" in front of him. Panel 4 has a Bob-Omb just sitting there.

Quote from: "Sonnitude"
can You Make Some Of The Levels From Super Mario World?

Based off of one of the more iconic (for me, anyway) levels of Super Mario World. It's a pretty faithful adaption of the last part of the stage, with a few modifications to make it more SMWar-friendly. The pipe that would ordinary lead to the looooooooooooooooong fall now leads to the left side of the map, and some spikes are now floating around to replace the Boo Buddy rings. Since SMWar obviously doesn't have any water effects, I went the way of *whoever came up with this idea first* and made every tile besides the solid walls a "drop-down-and-jump-up" tile. The CPUs are actually pretty good at this map...

Another spur-of-the-moment idea. Most people enjoy creating symmetric maps, but what many don't know are the secrets behind their creation. Now, with this behind-the-scenes view, you can see how these maps are REALLY created.

To create a symmetrical map, one needs the giant machine in the middle, the Jacksplitter 3500. After acquiring it, the mapmaker then locates the area they want to turn symmetric and then places the Jacksplitter in the middle.

What ensues is rather chaotic. The spikes at the bottom of the machine start turning at full speed, digging into the ground. The ground then splits in two - occasionally, dirt and grass will slip off from the top of the hole, which the Jacksplitter converts into floating platforms. A red light will then shoot out of the gray lens at on the machine, copying the westernmost portion of the area into the machine. Inside, the area is flipped and then beamed out the other end, replacing whatever is on the western side (this is similar to any art program's copy-and-paste mechanics). Afterwards, the Jacksplitter closes up the ground so seamlessly that it appears that nothing had happened. (The floating platforms are then teleported elsewhere, to float aimlessly around the Mushroom Kingdom.)

All this to create a symmetrical version of the first level of Super Mario Bros. Doesn't seem worth it, does it?

(It IS in fact possible to get out of the area where the Jacksplitter blades are - just get into one of the notches in the dirt, then run outwards and curve in midair. It's tricky, but possible.

Also, what's really ironic is that this map would be symmetrical, were it not for the floating platforms.)

Done for the Weekly Map Contest. It's basically a hilly wasteland with stone spikes, lava, floating blocks, and a secret tunnel underground. Here's the story behind it:

Quote from: "Midna"
Welcome to the battlefield of the turning point of the Mushroom War. Fought between the Toads and Goombas, the battle was fought to determine who would rule the Mushroom Kingdom. The Toads won, and the Goombas fell back and regrouped. Eventually, they found Bowser, and the rest is history.

Now, the battlefield has turned into a desolate wasteland, with the ground and land features far from their former glory. Stray blocks have floated into the clearing, and, due to nearby earthquakes, gigantic stone spikes have shot up from the ground. The ground has cracked open, revealing a pit of bubbling magma. Despite these alterations to the battlefield, the Ice Blocks, used by both sides, are still intact, as is a Goomba-built transport underground. The entry pipe has been half-destroyed by time, although it is still active... as are the Goomba-built (albeit primitive) spike security system.

Who knows? Maybe it could become the site of another war... yours.

---

Twyleight, while I love Kirby Super Star to death (and will do the same to Ultra Star), I'll have to work on it later. I'm all mapped out, and besides, I can't really remember the level designs. However, I do think that the Great Cave Offensive, Gourmet Race, and Milky Way Wishes are the three most mappable games out of the group, so expect the map to be from one of those.
Old stuff.
Older stuff.