Author Topic: help making a custom sound/announcer pack  (Read 1221 times)

Offline linucksrox

help making a custom sound/announcer pack
« on: July 19, 2007, 01:27:08 PM »
I spent a couple hours recording and trying to create a custom sfx pack, but I can't get it to work. I read all the tutorials available, but mostly graphics is emphasized. There is not enough detail on how to make a sound or announcer pack. I have tried the .txt files with the same name as the folder, I tried using .wav files and .ogg. Then finally I just went into the "Classic" folder and replaced the cannon.wav file with my own .wav file, renamed it to cannon.wav, and all it did was completely disable ALL sound. Can anybody help me figure this out?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by linucksrox »

Offline BobManPerson

• Posts Very Often
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 01:32:30 PM »
Create a new directory in your sfxpacks folder. For now, we'll call it "Custom". Place all of your sound effects in the ""Custom" folder. Then rename all of the sounds so they match the names of the sound effects in the "Classic" pack. Example (we'll use the 1-up.wav as an example):
smwsfxpacksCustom1-up.wav

Except 1-up.wav should be a custom sound.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by BobManPerson »

Offline linucksrox

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 01:40:01 PM »
Do I have to replace EVERY sound for it to work? I tried just having cannon.wav, but now there is just no sound no matter what I do. Shouldn't it make a sound when you kill someone like 4 times in a row?

Offline Anonymous

• On the Bright Side: You came close to your record for damage healed as Medic
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 02:04:43 PM »
Quote from: "linucksrox"
Do I have to replace EVERY sound for it to work? I tried just having cannon.wav, but now there is just no sound no matter what I do. Shouldn't it make a sound when you kill someone like 4 times in a row?

SFX and Announcers are different, the default "none" announcer is special, it calls a folder not in the announcer folder.

To make a new announcer, copy the "none" text document to make another called "copy of none", then create a folder with all the custom sounds in the same directory(sfx/announcer) named "new announcer"

Paste all the custom wav files into "new announcer"

open up "copy of none"

change the [none] to sfx/announcer/new announcer/name of file.wav

don't forget the .wav and spell everything correctly and you are set, to change what the announcers name looks like in the game, change the name of the TEXT FILE ONLY.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask questions.

download my announcer to see how it works.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Offline linucksrox

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 02:21:16 PM »
This is pretty frustrating. Your pack works just dandy, but mine does not. I don't see the difference... I have custom.txt with everything listed just like you said, and my .wav files are all set up. But instead of playing my .wav files, it just plays the Classic defaults. If I hear that cannon sound one more time I'm gonna break something lol. Yes, I set the announcer to "custom" under options. Maybe I need a different kind of .wav file? It's not properly encoded or something...? They play back fine in winamp.

EDIT: Aha! I found the problem. I had encoded my .wav files straight from Ableton, and my normal settings are 24 bit 48000. I changed it down to the usual 16 bit 44100 and that fixed it. I guess that's good to know. I wonder if it was the 24 bit or the 48000...

Offline Anonymous

• On the Bright Side: You came close to your record for damage healed as Medic
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 02:34:42 PM »
so is it better now?

If you need to redo the .wav, use http://media-convert.com
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Offline linucksrox

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 06:40:01 PM »
Yea, I got it to work. That media-convert thing is pretty nifty, but for what I'm doing I might as well just render my original data at the right bit rate and sample rate. Thanks for the help! By using the Dynamite package and replacing my own sound files with the ones in that package, I was able to pin point that SMW was unable to play back my .wav files.