Author Topic: So my Top 10 list got rejected from GameFAQs  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Jared

• Administrator
  • Quite Some Free Time
So my Top 10 list got rejected from GameFAQs
« on: June 01, 2007, 07:06:48 PM »
because it wasn't about any real games.  Therefore, I am posting it elsewhere on the internet (read: here).

The Top 10 Crossovers/Hybrids That Haven't Been Made Yet (And Probably Never Will Be).

Have you ever had that thought - "Hey, what if they took that one game, and added that element from that other game?" Well, I have. Here are a few of the strange and unlikely combinations that I think would make neat games.

10: Mario Kart - with a twist of Smash Bros.
This one comes first because I think it's the most likely to actually happen (not that that's very likely in the first place, mind you). Imagine taking all the characters from Super Smash Bros. Melee and putting them in a Mario Kart-style environment. Watch Peach powerslide around the Onett drugstore, or watch Kirby ride a Warpstar down Big Blue while hitting nearby racers with the Home-Run Bat. Throw in some Battle modes and maybe even something City Trial-like and you've got me hooked!

9: beatmania IIDX - combined with Nintendo's entire legacy
IIDX could be described as the archetypical Bemani game. Bemani, for those who don't know, is a series of games, made by Konami. Most of them involve using specialized controllers to make or play along with music. So what would it be like if Nintendo had pioneered Bemani? Well, for one thing, we'd be able to play all our favorite Mario, Kirby, Zelda, and F-Zero tunes with seven keys and a turntable. (And for another thing, we might have had more versions released in the US...)

8: ChuChu Rocket! - topped with Lemmings
In ChuChu Rocket, an excellent multiplayer game for the Dreamcast and GBA, you have to drop arrows on the floor to direct mice into your rocket, while directing cats away from it and possibly into the other players' rockets. Lemmings is an excellent puzzle game in which you give small rodents special abilities in order to make a pathway for them to reach the exit. Both games are quite similar when you think about it - so it's not all that much of a stretch to say that it might be cool to be able to use the abilities from Lemmings - or at least something resembling them - in a ChuChu Rocket setting. You could put up Blockers around your opponents' rockets so they have to direct a cat around towards their rocket to eat them - or you could make some mice self-destruct, taking nearby cats with them!

7: Super Street Fighter II Turbo - with a drop of Pac-Man
Think about it for a minute. Have there been any one-on-one fighting games which involved Pac-Man to a large degree? I'd say it's about time. For added coolness (or lameness, depending on your point of view), they could take a page from Mortal Kombat's book - "Fruitalities"!

6: Chibi-Robo - with essence of Katamari Damacy
In this unlikely game, Chibi-Robo does all the stuff he did in his first game - cleaning, picking up trash, and generally making people happy - but as he does so, he grows larger! What this means is that some chores will become easier, some might become harder, and some might even become impossible. And as he gets larger and larger, he becomes able to go farther, leave the house, and make people happy on an even larger scale. Larger still, and he can help whole towns, cities, and even the world! Or something.

5: Halo 2 - infused with Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Okay, I admit it - these are definitely getting weirder. But seriously - pull a 360 and chain it into a grind, nollie, wallgrind, Energy Sword kill, nollie, another grind, and 360 into the front seat of a Warthog. There's gotta be someone else out there who thinks that'd be sweet.

4: Adventures of Lolo - with a dash of Mario
Adventures of Lolo and its sequels were excellent puzzle games. Out of several simple elements - different enemies, obstacles, and the occasional power-up - the games' creators were able to make dozens upon dozens of fiendishly difficult puzzles. The basic concept, though, was simple - grab all there is of a specific item, and then make it to the treasure chest, without dying. Now... there are just a few items from the Mario universe which could make for some pretty difficult puzzles. What about kicking a shell into a flip-block so that you can get a Gol to shoot a fireball through it so that you can melt an ice block to clear a pathway to a Frog suit so you can swim across the water to the goal, while simultaneously dodging Bullet Bills and Don Medusas? Sounds like a winner to me.

3: Dance Dance Revolution - blended with Wario Ware
Take the Wario Ware "microgame" idea - quick, simple games which come at a rapid pace in a completely random order - and substitute it with DDR gameplay. The result? Lots of "microsongs" strung together randomly and without pauses in between, gradually speeding up until you're unable to keep that lifebar up. Each stage could have a different genre of music, kind of like the microgame genres in the original Wario Ware, and of course there should be several unlockable full songs as well.

2: Archon - crossed with Puyo Pop Fever
Archon was a cool little game which resembled Chess to some degree, until you tried to capture a piece. Then, the board would be replaced by a giant arena, and yours and your opponents' pieces would enter an arena and duke it out in a fight to the death for the right to hold the square. But what if you replaced the fighting parts with the main gameplay from Puyo Pop Fever, in which you and your opponent match colors and make chains in an attempt to cover your opponent in garbage pieces? It might be more fun than you think.

1: Vantage Master Online - injected with Pokémon
VMO is a turn-based strategy game for the PC with a fantasy theme. In it, you and your opponent duke it out over a playfield, casting spells and summoning Natials - elemental creatures which you obtain over the course of the game - in order to reduce your opponent's HP to 0. Now, switch the fantasy themes and locales around with Pokémon ones, and replace the 24 Natials in that game with the nearly 500 different Pocket Monsters in the franchise, complete with some semblance of the complex battle system found in the 3rd or 4th generation of Pokémon games, and you've got yourself a game which has the potential to be completely awesome.

In conclusion, I apparently have way too much free time. Although if anything resembling one of these ever gets made... I totally called it.

---

So yeah I was bored at work that day.  Discuss.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Jared »

Offline Agastya

• Pwetty Butterfwy
  • Is probably Booman
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 07:09:15 PM »
DDR/Wario Ware one is EPIC.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by LKA »

Offline Jared

• Administrator
  • Quite Some Free Time
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 07:17:10 PM »
I know.  I think maybe in retrospect it should have been #1.  >_>

Offline Agastya

• Pwetty Butterfwy
  • Is probably Booman
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 07:20:13 PM »
In theory you could do that with Stepmania, you'd just need a few little 10-15 second song clips in one group, and set the course to accelerate the song rates on some of the songs for later stages.

Then again I never made a course so I dunno. XD
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by LKA »

Offline soulbreather

• Lots of Free Time
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 07:26:15 PM »
i'm making a list like this at the mo actually
it's the best 10 shoot-em-ups/fps weapons ever made

i can't get my head round ssb with mk though <:s
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by soulbreather »
blurby blurby blurbo
Quote from: \"kNova\"
;x Faptastic. KRISPY KREMES OOHHHH

Offline Jared

• Administrator
  • Quite Some Free Time
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 09:39:50 AM »
Quote from: "LKA"
In theory you could do that with Stepmania, you'd just need a few little 10-15 second song clips in one group, and set the course to accelerate the song rates on some of the songs for later stages.

Then again I never made a course so I dunno. XD

Yeah but it's just not the same... >_>  Plus I'm thinking seamless integration.  Like, the steps for one song flow right into the steps for the next, kind of like the nonstop remixes in Pump or something I guess.

Offline Zakiller2000

• Gettin' Into the Swing of Things
Re: So my Top 10 list got rejected from GameFAQs
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 02:24:34 AM »
Quote from: "Jared"
Mario Kart - with a twist of Smash Bros.
This one comes first because I think it's the most likely to actually happen (not that that's very likely in the first place, mind you). Imagine taking all the characters from Super Smash Bros. Melee and putting them in a Mario Kart-style environment. Watch Peach powerslide around the Onett drugstore, or watch Kirby ride a Warpstar down Big Blue while hitting nearby racers with the Home-Run Bat. Throw in some Battle modes and maybe even something City Trial-like and you've got me hooked!

I was actually thinking of something like this, but there would be too many characters, items/power-ups and tracks to think about.

And that is why it would kick so much ass.

Super Smash KART! (Out in 201X.)

Seriously, just do it Nintendo.

Anyways, that is actually a pretty good list. Some of the lists that have been featured don't compare to this.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Zakiller2000 »

Offline Jared

• Administrator
  • Quite Some Free Time
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 01:18:23 PM »
So while looking through some of the archives (please don't delete them James *puppy dog eyes*) I found this topic and, surprisingly, I still think most of the ideas in it are actually good ones.

Offline JJames19119

• Good times
  • Server Manager
  • MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
  • Bowser Only, All Bombs, Dinal Festination
    • http://72dpiarmy.supersanctuary.net/
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 06:28:09 PM »
It was an April Fools' joke Jared

No threads will be del0rted. :V