Author Topic: [Musings] Aspects of puzzle games that I like  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Jared

• Administrator
  • Quite Some Free Time
[Musings] Aspects of puzzle games that I like
« on: April 23, 2007, 10:30:20 AM »
TETRIS ATTACK

* The basic mechanic of clearing rising blocks by moving them
* The garbage block system
* Having different types of attacks with different effects (expanded upon in the clone game, Crack Attack)

SUPER PUYO PUYO TSUU REMIX

* Many enemies with different AI patterns (yeah, I know lots of puyo games have this, but this one has always stood out to me, plus it has tons of characters)

PUYO POP FEVER

* Different characters with different drop patterns

SUPER PUZZLE FIGHTER II TURBO

* Different characters with different attack patterns

CHU CHU ROCKET

* Multiplayer is just awesome
* Tons of puzzles in the Puzzle mode (on the GBA version anyway)

BRICKS

* A variation on the classic "Klotski"-style game
* Lots of variety in the puzzles and in the puzzle elements
* Casual - there's no time limit and you can come back to it whenever you want (unless you're participating in one of their contests)
* "Unlock" system by which you have to get a certain score in one game to be eligible to download the next one
* The scoring system is cool (in most cases, points for solution = 1000 minus the number of moves used)
* Once you've solved a puzzle, you can review your solution to try to improve it and get a better score

BEJEWELED 2

* Lots of game modes
* Endless mode is cool (although it takes a really long time to get its unlock, which is unfortunately also one of the better modes)

CHUZZLE

* Accomplishments system is neat (it's like a small-scale version of the checklist system in Kirby Air Ride, which I would have included on this list for that very reason if it were actually a puzzle game :P)

PUZZLE QUEST

* The RPG system is quite well done and works well with the basic Bejeweled mechanic
* The game still includes some other "modes" in the form of capturing beasts, researching spells, etc.

METEOS

* The planets mechanic is excellent
* Lots of endings to find (although it's not difficult to get most of them :P)
* The unlock system is just pure awesome

COLUMNS III

* Multiplayer is a blast (up to 5 players!)
* The random factor of the Flashing Gems is fun
* Having three options for the Magic Gem is cool
* In 3+ player games, you can choose who to attack, but only from the two people who are closest to you

COLUMNS CROWN

* Collecting Magic Gems from different modes to use in Vs. Mode is fun (even though there are certain combos of gems which are so overpowered that there is no reason to use any other)
* The grading system for Endless is awesome (even though I can't quite figure it out :P)
* The shiny effect you see just before you get a big chain is cool

DOSSUN! GANSEKI BATTLE

* It's like Columns but with a few tweaks and some RPG elements and it just works really well

GREAT DEAL

* The basic mechanic is good - you are making "hands" with 3+ cards for points, but it's in a falling-block environment
* You get to change your current card with any of the next three in line, so you can save cards you don't want to use yet
* You get one "deck" per round - good because you have to think ahead and maximize your score, plus you don't want any leftover cards because those carry big penalties

PUZSLOT

* Similar to Great Deal in that you have a certain number of "slot blocks" with which to make a goal score to clear the level
* If you get a good combo you get a block which you can cycle through until you get what you want
* Blocks can hang over empty spaces if placed right, but will immediately drop if a line is cleared anywhere on the field
* Slot blocks are fun!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Jared »