Author Topic: Question on the control panels  (Read 4363 times)

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
  • this title came sooner than the last
Question on the control panels
« on: April 06, 2007, 05:13:50 PM »
Hey Florian, I am wondering what you are planning for the control panels. What I mean is the User CP, mod CP, and admin CP. Will it be like the current PHP system where it all appears thrown in, or will it be nice and organized, like IPB control panels? Also, what will the difference be between this board's Moderator permissions and blahblah's? I understand if you don't want to tell yet, though. I am hoping that moderating Blahblah boards will be better than PHP. I'm not too worried about administration, but that must be better than PHP. Thanks ahead of time!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Big JM »

Offline Tiptup300

• Regular
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 07:41:33 PM »
Yes, what about the moderators priveledges!?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Tiptup300 »

Offline Florian

• Administrator
  • More Common Poster
    • http://geeq.at
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 07:45:35 PM »
users can be moderators. hey can edit every post and delete every thread.

control panel? we don't need such things for now. ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Florian »

Offline Tiptup300

• Regular
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 07:49:56 PM »
Sounds like madness! w00t w00t! 8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Tiptup300 »

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 10:06:09 PM »
So, in BB, everyone is a mod, huh? While that sounds good, I can easily see abuse of the system. I'm sure that you have that worked out, though. I have a few questions on administration now. With everyone being moderators, I see issues like bans and suspensions falling on the admins.
Actually, my real question is, where is the line between mod and admin? Please, just tell borderline stuff(I'm pretty sure mods cannot make and delete forums).
I might appear to be rambling, but how are you going to balance mod powers? I see the best way to balance power is democracy.
Here is a sample:
Lets say someone locks a topic for a "flamewar". It would take, say, about 20 votes (the  number of votes dependant on # of users) Once that vote count is reached, the topic is unlocked. That easily prevents power abuse. We could use this petition system for anything from stickies to bans.

Offline Florian

• Administrator
  • More Common Poster
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 10:38:21 PM »
nono, only moderators are moderators. not everyone.

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 11:00:22 PM »
Quote from: "Florian"

Oh, I guess I misunderstood. Mabye a little clarification would help.

Offline SsF

• Too Much Free Time
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 09:17:47 AM »
ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh ok... darn i wanted revenge on people!(no names said here!) :cry:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by ssf »

Offline Neavea

• Regular
    • http://www.gfxcenter.co.nr
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 12:47:03 PM »
Quote from: "Big JM"
Quote from: "Florian"
Oh, I guess I misunderstood. Mabye a little clarification would help.

He means that its a same simple set up, admin can make peeps moderators and moderators can edit every post and delete every thread.

But what are you making it so that admins can choose what the mods can do? like user groups?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Neavea »

Offline Jared

• Administrator
  • Quite Some Free Time
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 05:50:38 PM »
So, in BB, everyone is a mod, huh? While that sounds good, I can easily see abuse of the system. I'm sure that you have that worked out, though. I have a few questions on administration now. With everyone being moderators, I see issues like bans and suspensions falling on the admins.
Actually, my real question is, where is the line between mod and admin? Please, just tell borderline stuff(I'm pretty sure mods cannot make and delete forums).
I might appear to be rambling, but how are you going to balance mod powers? I see the best way to balance power is democracy.
Here is a sample:
Lets say someone locks a topic for a "flamewar". It would take, say, about 20 votes (the  number of votes dependant on # of users) Once that vote count is reached, the topic is unlocked. That easily prevents power abuse. We could use this petition system for anything from stickies to bans.

"Balance mod powers"?  Mods have powers so that they can keep things under control.  If you try to "balance" them then they lose that ability altogether.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Jared »

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 05:52:35 PM »
Quote from: "Jared"
Here is a sample:
Yeah, that was a misunderstanding on my part. I thought Florian made it where everyone was a mod blah blah blah. But, that isn't the case so my post there is really null and void.
"Balance mod powers"?  Mods have powers so that they can keep things under control.  If you try to "balance" them then they lose that ability altogether.

Offline Florian

• Administrator
  • More Common Poster
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 10:26:30 PM »
Quote from: "Neavea"
He means that its a same simple set up, admin can make peeps moderators and moderators can edit every post and delete every thread.
right.

But what are you making it so that admins can choose what the mods can do? like user groups?

nope. mods are mods. if a mod abuses his powers he doesn't deserve to be one.