Author Topic: The Suggestions Thread (Old)  (Read 35091 times)

Offline Jared

• Administrator
  • Quite Some Free Time
The Suggestions Thread (Old)
« on: February 22, 2006, 04:55:59 PM »
THIS THREAD IS OFFICIALLY DEAD.  STOP POSTING SUGGESTIONS TO IT.[/b]

All right.   New ideas?  Anyone remember anything I miss?  Post it here.  (Please make sure you read THE WHOLE LIST and all replies underneath before posting anything else.)

Update, March 30!
The polls are over.  However, I have decided not to update this list until after 1.7 is released.  You can post all the stuff you want; it just won't be added for a while.

Any idea that actually makes it into the game will be removed from this listing.  Ideas that have been added to the official feature request list but are not yet implemented will remain on this list so people don't suggest them again.

---

Stuff that has been suggested but that will NOT be added:

Super Mushrooms - This would require redesigns of every single skin, and taller characters would make the gameplay weird.
Scrolling Levels - Mario War was always a single-screen game, Super Mario War will always be a single-screen game.
Larger Tiles/Skins - 32x32 tiles have been around since the beginning of Super Mario War, and the tiles are not likely to get any bigger.

Stuff that will be in the next version, without a doubt:

Reconfigurable Controls, including Gamepad Support
Hammers behaving like they do in SMB3 (i.e. inheriting your x-velocity)
The ability to pick up stuff and run with it, such as the new Blue Throwable Blocks
Moving Platforms

---

Alright, on to the list!

Quote from: "A bunch of people"
Netplay (this is THE most oft-suggested thing)

Conversion of the graphics to .PNG format

Throwable shells

Climbable tiles (vines, ladders, etc.)

Ridable Yoshis

The ability to set CPU difficulty

Infinite limit in every mode, instead of a single Free Play mode

Quote from: "Anonymous posters"
Also, similar to the moving platforms idea it would be cool if those big rock heads, erm thomps right? could be implemented, aswell as chains that move up and down (and maybe move the stuff its attached to).  (To which this poster added: "Well I meant chains that could some how "link" to something and move it up and down or at least platforms that can move in all four directions.")

---

How abouts springs?

---

How about a feature that allows you to turn off looping?

Quote from: "4matsy"
How about the SMB3 magic wands?
They'd allow you to fire those weird smoke rings, just like the koopa kids did in the original game...
There could also be a few different types of wands that fire the O's or bouncy star balls, like Wendy and Lemmy did. Or maybe just one wand which fires the smoke rings most of the time but has a random chance of firing O's and balls as well...LOL :p

Or the boomerang from Super Mario Advance 4 (the GBA SMB3 port).
I remember one boomerang bro in an e-reader level had one you could pick up and use in that level, and some scannable item cards gave you boomerangs as well...

Hmm...maybe a multiplier powerup?
It takes effect immediately, lasts for a set time (15-20 seconds?), and all your kills/goombas/coins/eggs/points are worth double during that time.
And maybe you could stack up multiple multipliers for 3x, 4x, etc. points, if you were lucky enough to find more... :)

"Feed the Yoshi" game mode. :D
The baby Yoshi from Super Mario World is placed on the map, and you have to carry him around and eat the other players to score points. :p First player to X points wins.
And as a bonus, at the end of the game, he grows into an adult. :p

"Chain Chomp Survival" game mode. :p
Similar to the thwomp survival mode currently in SMWar, in that it's Classic mode with added obstacles...in this case, a number of chain chomps are randomly placed around the map, randomly snapping at passers-by. You hit one, you're dead. Last player with any lives remaining wins.
Oh, did I mention that every once in a while, one of the chains will flash, and then the chain chomp breaks loose? Just like in SMB3, where the chain flashes on the 46th yank, and the chomp breaks loose on the 49th... >:D

The super flower from Super Mario Land 1.
You'd be able to fire the SML1 superballs, which bounce off of walls at 45 degree angles. Probably only one on screen at the time, though...
And for true SML1 authenticity, maybe allow the superball to collect coins for you in Coin Limit mode. :p

UndoDog from Mario Paint. o_O
Use him, and he WOOFs, and time is thrown back 5 seconds.
Just suffered a really stupid death? Picked up a powerup you didn't want? There's no need to fear, UndoDog is here! :p

---

I remember Super Mario Advance 4's e-reader levels also having some gray bricks you could only break with hammers or the tanooki statue...

Perhaps also the ON/OFF block from Super Mario World, and 2 new blocks--one that's solid only when the switch is on and passthru only when the switch is off, and another that's solid when the switch is off and passthru when the switch is on? Dump your opponents into lava on their way to that remote item block. :p

Quote from: "Dude"
How about a Hard Hat? Makes you immune to being stomped or attacked from above. You can move like normal execpt jumping is not as high. You also lose it if you get stomped or slame your head into spikes 3 times or get killed some other way.

---

Wings: Wings from super mario world (That put you in a secret level and turn your yoshi blue/purple) that when out of the item box would fly around just like the race signs. When you touch them you fly round for a limited time. Up and down would make you go up and and down. You can still walk on ground. You are not invincible in any way. If you die they disipear. Its pretty much anti-gravity.

---

If the shell is put in, what about a koopa mode? It'll be goomba mode except with koopas. You'll have to hit the koopa out of it's shell by stomping it, then stomping the koopa. To make it more Mario like, have it so if you use a hammer or fireball, even if it's in it's shell, it dies.

Quote from: "Ember Joe"
One idea for a 'weapon' would be a flag. Pick it up to put the flag in that box next to your character in the top of screen. Then press secondary fire to throw it away infront. This would be used in a CTF game, so if you die with it, or the player whos on that team pics up the stranded flag, it returns to base.

Quote from: "GKi"
Problem:
I noticed this game has about 300 maps and there is no way to organize them. I mean i have to keep pushing the right button 100 times and then the game freezes a little around 50.

Solution
So I thought it would be really cool to have a map organizer in the game. let me explain have you ever seen a music manager and such (genre, artist, name, ect). there should be a menu to choose your games EX:

--- by name
maps-- -- by artist
-- by ect.

do you see what i mean ?

---

and horizontal spikes < > instead of just ^ y

---

also spiked koopa shells

Quote from: "j rok"
I was designing a map based on the Iggy Koopa boss battle in Super Mario World when I thought of yet another late idea: a mode where jumping on foes' heads or hitting them with projectiles merely sends them skidding backwards, and the idea is to shove enemies into Poison Mushrooms and lethal hazards! Working title: Sumo Mode! If Sumo makes it into Super Mario War, pushing foes should have greater effect in this mode.

---

D'oh! Sweet Inspiration That Just Missed the Boat #4: MOVING FREAKIN' PLATFORMS! [...] Using the Super Mario World "line-guided objects" principle might help...the line-guided thing makes me think of those fuzzy freaks that followed those lines, which make me think of other Mario hazards/foebeasts that a stomp or a fireball wouldn't fix, and in come all the borderline-insane ideas, like an option to randomly fire Bullet Bills and/or Bowser fireballs from the sides of the screen, line-guided and floor-skimming buzzsaws, those Parabeetle things that were in that one level of Sky Land (SMB3, world 5, level 6 or 7) with the shells and the little wings (they sunk a little and then flew upward as you stood on one, remember?), the scale-like mushrooms from Super Mario World (go to Butter Bridge 1; when you make the first jump off the starting platform, you'll know what I'm talking about) and the old-school scale platforms from SMB1...

Quote from: "Jared"
Hi, my name's Jared and I love Mario War. If anyone's interested, here are a few of my ideas for stuff to add:

New Items

Feather: Allows you to double-jump. Overlaps with other items, so for example you can have both a feather and a fire flower.

Leaf: Allows you to float. (Could make you fall down slowly while holding the jump button, or could allow you to float like the Princess in SMB2.) Also overlaps with other items, but not with the feather.

Vegetable: A la SMB2. When you grab one, it hovers over your head, and the next time you hit the fire button you throw it. If you have another projectile weapon, you keep it but can't use it until you've thrown the vegetable. If you hit someone with one of these, it bounces off them and can't hit anyone else.

Lantern: Blacks out the screen for a short period of time, except for a little circle centered around each player.

Mystery Mushroom: A la Battle mode from SMB3 on Super Mario All-Stars. This red mushroom with a question mark on it will make all players randomly switch places with each other when someone grabs it.

Kuribo's Shoe: Makes you immune to spikes (unless you hit them with your head). Slows you down a bit and makes you do that little bounce-along-the-ground thing like in SMB3, but also makes you jump a lot higher and makes you immune to any weapon (including shells and veggies, which bounce off you) that hits you from the side or from below. You lose this when you get hit with three weapons or if you die from getting hit from above. Overlaps with all items. (Oh, come on, you know this would rule! :P )

Boo: A la Super Mario Kart. When you use this, you become transparent (i.e. can move through other players) and can't be killed for a short time (except by environmental hazards such as spikes). Additionally, if any other players have bonus items, you will steal one of them at random. (This would work best as a bonus item.)

Heart: This acts like a 1UP in terms of how it moves while onscreen, except that catching it restores the map to its original state (i.e. all broken blocks come back, all donut blocks reappear, all flip blocks stop rotating, all ? blocks get refilled, etc.)

Thunderbolt: A la Super Mario Kart. When you use this, everyone else who is not invincible shrinks to half-size, and their speed and jump abilities are also cut in half, as well as the size of any projectiles they are able to shoot. Small players can jump and hurt each other normally, but large players can just walk over small ones to squish them and are immune to small fireballs and shots. Dying once removes small status. Being shielded does NOT protect you from this item!

Freezie: When you use this item, everyone else (except for invincible players) turns blue and is frozen in place for a brief time (being shielded doesn't help you here either!). Any frozen player who dies is shattered rather than squished (i.e. they turn into a lot of blue particles). This should start moving as soon as it's out of the ? block, like a 1UP does.

Magic Wand: A la SMB3. This allows you to shoot slowish projectiles directly in front of you. These go through walls and get slightly wider as they travel, but they do disappear eventually if they don't hit something. This would be treated like a fire flower or hammer in terms of not overlapping, etc.

Crystal: This does nothing at all... until you get three of them. Then you can use it, and EVERYONE dies. No exceptions -- stars, shields, nothing will protect you from this.

New Modes

N-Spade: A la SMB3. All over the course there are a bunch of cards (probably 12 or so). When you hit a card it turns your color and flips over to reveal a picture. After you hit a second card it checks to see whether there is a match. If not, they flip back. If there is a match with the other card of your color, you get points. If there is a match, but with a card of a different color, you split the points with whoever owns the other card. (So, of course, all point values should be even numbers, and ideally there would be several different values, so for example stars would be worth more than flowers, etc.) Jumping on players flips their cards back over; suicide does not. When all the cards are gone, a new set appears, and whoever gets to a certain score first wins.

Dr. Mario: There are three viruses on the screen (red, yellow, and blue) and three pills with corresponding colors. You have to pick up a pill and touch the virus of the right color with it to get a point. Touching the wrong color kills you, as does touching a virus without a pill. Killing several of the same color in a row grants bonus points. Jumping on someone allows you to steal their pill, but you can't carry more than one pill at once. Suicide doesn't get rid of your pill. Dying in any way does not kill your color combo. First one to reach a certain number of points wins.

Combo Race: First one to jump on a certain number of opponents in a row wins. Dying in any way breaks your combo.

Magic Wands: Wand cards instead of fire or hammer cards.

Eat Your Vegetables: Veggie cards instead of fire or hammer cards.

Shell Shock: Shell cards instead of fire or hammer cards.

Crystal Death: Crystal cards! In this mode dying from anything but crystals doesn't count.

Cheep-Cheep: Same as Goomba mode except there are Cheep-Cheeps flying up from the bottom of the screen like they do in some SMB1 levels.

Cookie: Same as Survival except that the cookies from Yoshi's Cookie are raining down, and the goal is to be the first to reach a certain number. (Because cookies are tasty! ^_^)

All Your Base: Same as Domination except that there are more bases (probably twice the number of players plus 1) and if you kill someone you get all their bases! Of course you should be able to claim other peoples' bases normally by just touching them. (I can't remember how Domination works off the bat but IIRC when someone dies in that they just lose all their bases regardless of how they died.)

Base Race: Same as Race except the bases from Domination are also hanging around. In order to get points you have to have bases tagged, but you can't tag bases directly - rather, every time you finish a lap you get a random unclaimed base. If there are no unclaimed bases then nobody can get any more. Dying in any way makes you lose all your bases, as in Domination, though, so if all the bases are taken you need to knock someone off if you want more! (You get no points just for doing laps, so if all the bases are claimed and you don't have one, you'll have to resort to this.)

Other:

An item switch, so you can turn certain items on and off.
Map browsing by thumbnails.
Character browsing, maybe with a little SSBM-style character select screen.
More Bubble Bobble and Kirby characters! ;)

Comments and criticisms appreciated.

---

In addition, I'd personally like to see a breakdown of all of each player's KO types (jump, fire, star, etc.) at the end of a match, and maybe a graph of how each player was doing throughout the game.

---

A "map manager" could be a useful utility -- it could allow you to browse maps outside of the game, deleting what you don't want.

I did suggest map browsing by thumbnails earlier -- it could in theory utilize these sorts of things in-game as well -- but maybe the map organizer could set up various subsets of maps and in-game you could pick which subset you wanted to play from. This would be EXTREMELY HELPFUL if someone wanted to set up a tournament and only wanted certain maps to be included in the random selection, or something. Of course it would need to be possible to put a map in more than one subset without making useless copies of it in different folders.

---

Here's another item idea: Mod block. (It's an upside-down Pow block -- rotate "POW" 180 degrees and you get "MOd". It'd probably be best to also make it a different color from the Pow so it'd be easier to tell apart.) The Pow block kills everyone on the ground when it goes off -- the Mod block kills everyone in the air.

---

It would be cool to see some blocks that only hammers/fireballs can get rid of. The only example in a Mario game that I can think of is in Super Mario Land 2 for the Gameboy, though -- there are some blocks you have to shoot to get past in certain levels there.

As for items that break blocks, the Shell would do that if it were ever implemented.

---

I'd love to see 5 and 6 player support added.

---

Another mode and item:

Ztar mode: First off, in case you've never heard of them, a Ztar is a black, angry-looking star.  They debuted in the Mario Party series, where they counted as negative stars.  In this mode, at the start of the game, one player at random is given the Ztar, which follows them around.  There is a timer that is constantly ticking down, and when it reaches 0, whoever has the Ztar is out.  So, you want to get rid of the Ztar, which you do by killing other players.  Last one standing wins.  (This is similar to Tag mode except that you a) have to kill other players to transfer the Ztar, and not just touch them, and b) the timer is shared by all players.)

Green Mystery Mushroom: As opposed to the red one I suggested earlier.  This mushroom makes everyone switch their items and powerup status at random.  However, these two swaps are independent of each other, so you might get Player 2's item and Player 3's current powerup.

---

Another miscellaneous idea: Multikill bonuses.  Basically, when you can jump two or more people in a row without hitting the ground, each one you kill gives you a bonus.  In Classic mode you get an extra life, in Frag Limit you get an extra kill, in Tag you get more time, in Race you get the next checkpoint tagged for free, in Goomba mode you get another kill but only if you jump other players and not just Goombas (because there are so many of 'em), maybe in Chicken mode you could use this to steal the chicken status, etc.

---

(these were clipped from a list of bugs/suggestions)
1. Perhaps the respawn timer could be set to allow half-second intervals as well?
4. Seeing the arrow time in tenths of a second would be better, I think.
5. An option to change the max arrow time would be nice.
6. Another timer for setting the respawn rate of item boxes would also be nice.

---

Maybe instead of a number after the game type, you could put a "Game Length" slider in underneath it, kinda like the volume sliders except without the number on the sliding thing, and with the actual number right next to or under the slider. This way it would be a little less annoying when your goal is 500 and you want it at 400. ;)

Quote from: "mpinger"
Visible changing power up block - This is from SMWorld where the block switches between star, fireball, feather, mushroom. It'd be cool if you could have this because then someone could camp on the powerup until they got the power up they wanted. I can see how this could be hard to graphically.

With all these powerups we're talking about, I think there should be a way to limit the possible powerups on a map. Otherwise, you've got like 20 powerups and the game is over and you've only seen half of them. This would especially be needed if you had special maps designed for the whistle and p-switch. I could see it being like Halo where you can choose different weapons groups.

I think it'd be cool to have 45 degree angled pipes that you can be shot out of like in SMWorld. A map maker could use these to shoot players to upper platforms where there are powerups.

Quote from: "Omega Boost"
Heres an idea:

Add 2 new slots for Characters: Shooting, and Shooting in the Air. This would give the characters a little more effect while in the game. (This would really work well with characters like Megaman)

Quote from: "Pikawil"
What about a useable Chain Chomp item? It could be like a whip of sorts!

Oh, and another idea would be a grey P-Switch that summons enemies when used!

Quote from: "RanceMuhammitz"
First of all, I'd like to thank the author for making such a cool game.

Lots of games --Super Smash Bros., Timesplitters, UT, and so on-- have player rewards which are displayed after a match. I think SMW would benefit from something like this.

A few ideas:

Mushroomhead - Win by collecting a 1-up mushroom
M. C. Hammer - Get 10 kills with hammers
Pancake - Get stomped 10 times
Suicide King - Jump on spikes/lava at least 8 times and win the match

(To which SleepyP replied: "how about "Voted Least Likely To Succeed" if your margin of defeat is big, like you got beaten by 75% of the goal score or more...  example: in a Frag mode with the target score at 20, you fail to get even 5 frags before losing.")

(To which Jared replied:

"Some reward ideas:

Reversal - You jumped someone who just jumped you, without any other KOs in between
Can't Touch This - Stayed winner through the whole game")

Quote from: "Rico"
My sole suggestion is the Koopa Shell, properly modelled so it can stop if jumped on, and restarted. HOWEVER whenever it's restarted it gets faster, allowing players to kick/dodge it back and forth at stupid speeds until someone inevitably dies. Add a timeout so a player can't just keep jumping on the shell to speed it up.

This could even create a new gamemode, where all powerup blocks (+ random spawn if no powerup blocks) produce koopa shells and you only collect points if you kill someone with them. This probably requires a larger size of level, though.

Quote from: "Sgraff87"
How about powerups from other Mario related games such as the hammer from Donkey Kong.
Or how about a barrel mode kinda like the Goomba, but you cannot kill these.
How about a powerup that reverses the other player's controls.
Perhapse more environmental dangers such as the spinning fireballs from the Koopa castles.
Or how about some modes that use the teams to more effect like volley ball or something of the sort.

Just some ideas.

Quote from: "SleepyP"
currently there is just one global map tileset, which defines graphics and behavior, correct?

after considering it for a while, here are my thoughts:
the addition of custom tilesets to the game would allow map makers much more creative freedom and make maps much more interesting without having to radically alter the game engine or included content. here's how i see it working:

a "tileset" would consist of a flat graphic (currently a BMP) whose dimensions must both be multiples of 32 but of arbitrary size, plus a text file which defines the position and type of each tile. by "type" i mean how the tile is to be treated by the game engine (hazard, bouncy, slip, etc). the file format would probably just be plaintext, with some allowance for commenting to make it easily editable. i'm assuming there is some sort of definition like this built into the binary. i'm thinking it would be a good idea to put this definition outside of the binary. this way, you can enumerate all available tilesets in the same way at the same time.

changes needed to incorporate this:
-add tileset info to map structure, which tells the engine which set each tile comes from
-add enumeration of tilesets (done at startup?) and tiles directory?
-add tile enumation and selection to map editor

the biggest problem with this change would be it would require a re-write of all current maps, right?

what are your thoughts?

---

this map inspires a new tile type:

(there was an image here)

slopes!
i figure this one is complicated but worth looking into. i am thinking it would be reasonable to have slope tiles which have a slope value of 1 and 2, and maybe have ice/slippery versions. in the case of the above map, maybe you could have the lower portion of the sides be slippery, so if you hit it you have to run to keep from sliding in?
these are just ideas, any comments?

(To which mpinger replied: "Slopes WOULD be great for this map. My friend and I have been talking about slopes for awhile. We think you should be able to slide down them and kill players like in the later SMB games. I'm not suggesting having a special skin for sliding because I know what that means. I wonder if in the code you could just set a flag to say a player is sliding and then if they collide with someone in front of them they kill them. That way even if you slide on to a horizontal surface you could still kill them. You wouldn't have to necessarily be on the slope.

To balance the advantage of sliding you could make it so once you start sliding you can't stop. This way other players can predict your velocity and time jumps to squash you. I think it would be cool if sliding onto ice prolongs your slide even longer. I could see boards where you slide uncontrolled on ice into some lava.")

---

-Music Box: kindof like the stopwatch on steroids, puts everyone else "to sleep" for a couple seconds. the "sleeping" state could be conveyed visually by having zzz float up from the character and/or add some sort of color change.
-P-Switch: this should maybe be an item map authors specifically have to put in, but the SMB3 feel of much of the game isn't as complete without the PSwitch...
-Baby Yoshi: (okay this wasn't cut and pasted but I think I got it right) This would allow someone to kill other people by running into them, kind of like the star but only on one side -- the Yoshi eats them.

Quote from: "Unknown"
Water?

Quote from: "Xijar"
Oh, and one other dumb idea I was thinking about is maybe having some way you can kill yourself if you push some combo of buttons, like pushing all four directional buttons down at the same time or something. On some maps I've found it annoying when I get trapped somewhere in which I can't get out of, and no one can kill me either.

---

Oh, and the warp whistle? Ok, get this. It saves everyone's current items and scores, but then changes the map suddenly to a random other map in the maps directory. That would be crazy, and awesome.

---

Oh, and one idea I had for the next version of SMW is to just have one "frenzy" mode, but you can choose which item you want to use for the frenzy, so you could do frenzies with any item. (Bullet Bill or POW frenzies would be awesome, for example.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 03:28:18 PM by Jared »

Offline Dave ‌Strider

• Quite Some Free Time
  • i am sort of a big deal ok?
    • the only site you need to visit
Idea
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 12:35:43 PM »
Kuribo's Shoe: Makes you immune to spikes (unless you hit them with your head). Slows you down a bit and makes you do that little bounce-along-the-ground thing like in SMB3, but also makes you jump a lot higher and makes you immune to any weapon (including shells and veggies, which bounce off you) that hits you from the side or from below.
How about a Hard Hat? Makes you immune to being stomped or attacked from above. You can move like normal execpt jumping is not as high. You also lose it if you get stomped or slame your head into spikes 3 times or get killed some other way.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Dude »

Offline Jared

• Administrator
  • Quite Some Free Time
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 12:44:20 PM »
Added to the list!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Jared »

Offline GKi

• Almost Regular
    • http://iweb-log.blogspot.com/
More Ideas
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 01:34:09 PM »
A ridable yoshi

and horizontal spikes < > instead of just ^ y
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by GKi »

Offline Jared

• Administrator
  • Quite Some Free Time
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 02:29:53 PM »
Added.  The first of these I put under "a bunch of people" because I seem to remember someone else suggesting it, but for the life of me I can't find it.  :P  Also added: a suggestion from Ember Joe that I missed the first time around.

Offline Dave ‌Strider

• Quite Some Free Time
Fly
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 03:19:41 PM »
Wings: Wings from super mario world (That put you in a secret level and turn your yoshi blue/purple) that when out of the item box would fly around just like the race signs. When you touch them you fly round for a limited time. Up and down would make you go up and and down. You can still walk on ground. You are not invincible in any way. If you die they disipear. Its pretty much anti-gravity.

Offline Jared

• Administrator
  • Quite Some Free Time
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 03:38:32 PM »
Added!

I should really find something to do that is more productive than checking my email every two hours or so. :P

Offline Dave ‌Strider

• Quite Some Free Time
Koopa
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 12:03:32 PM »
If the shell is put in, what about a koopa mode? It'll be goomba mode except with koopas. You'll have to hit the koopa out of it's shell by stomping it, then stomping the koopa. To make it more Mario like, have it so if you use a hammer or fireball, even if it's in it's shell, it dies. If you try to use it's shell to kill it, it goes back in it's shell.

Offline Jared

• Administrator
  • Quite Some Free Time
Re: Koopa
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 02:10:17 PM »
Quote from: "Dude"
If the shell is put in, what about a koopa mode? It'll be goomba mode except with koopas. You'll have to hit the koopa out of it's shell by stomping it, then stomping the koopa. To make it more Mario like, have it so if you use a hammer or fireball, even if it's in it's shell, it dies. If you try to use it's shell to kill it, it goes back in it's shell.

As for the last point about going back into its shell, IIRC they don't do that in Super Mario World -- the only time they ever reenter shells is if said shells are standing still.  I'll add everything else to the list though.

Actually, that's a good point -- there's a big difference between SMB/3 koopas and SMW koopas in terms of how to program them.  This would definitely need to be addressed.

Offline Anonymous

• On the Bright Side: You came close to your record for damage healed as Medic
Configureable keys
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 06:14:55 PM »
I read all the posts and I cant believe I didnt see this one, maybe I missed it, but configureable keys for players would be awesome. Especially since the numpad sort of goes very un-utilized and different people might also prefer to have different keys. Like if I was playing 1 player I know I would change Shift and Ctrl to A and S. Anyway great game, I love it. Also, similar to the moving platforms idea it would be cool if those big rock heads, erm thomps right? could be implemented, aswell as chains that move up and down (and maybe move the stuff its attached to). Also, what about allowing levels to scroll (and wrap around) or at least be larger. Scrolling levels would be cool and should be able to work in multiplayer as long as all players are on the same side of the screen.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Offline Jared

• Administrator
  • Quite Some Free Time
Re: Configureable keys
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 08:11:40 AM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
I read all the posts and I cant believe I didnt see this one, maybe I missed it, but configureable keys for players would be awesome. Especially since the numpad sort of goes very un-utilized and different people might also prefer to have different keys. Like if I was playing 1 player I know I would change Shift and Ctrl to A and S. Anyway great game, I love it. Also, similar to the moving platforms idea it would be cool if those big rock heads, erm thomps right? could be implemented, aswell as chains that move up and down (and maybe move the stuff its attached to). Also, what about allowing levels to scroll (and wrap around) or at least be larger. Scrolling levels would be cool and should be able to work in multiplayer as long as all players are on the same side of the screen.

Configurable controls have already been added to the code base and will be added in the next release.  As for scrolling levels, I have received word that those are a definite no.  Sorry.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "chains that move up and down."  Could you clarify please?  I'll add it but I don't think it will be considered if nobody can understand it.  ;)

Offline Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 09:52:21 PM »
Well I meant chains that could some how "link" to something and move it up and down or at least platforms that can move in all four directions.

Offline Jared

• Administrator
  • Quite Some Free Time
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 10:39:53 AM »
Okay, I added that too.  I also just added another mode (Ztar mode) and item (Green mystery mushroom) under my own name, because I just thought of them right now.  C&P'd:

Quote from: "I"
Another mode and item:

Ztar mode: First off, in case you've never heard of them, a Ztar is a black, angry-looking star. They debuted in the Mario Party series, where they counted as negative stars. In this mode, at the start of the game, one player at random is given the Ztar, which follows them around. There is a timer that is constantly ticking down, and when it reaches 0, whoever has the Ztar is out. So, you want to get rid of the Ztar, which you do by killing other players. Last one standing wins. (This is similar to Tag mode except that you a) have to kill other players to transfer the Ztar, and not just touch them, and b) the timer is shared by all players.)

Green Mystery Mushroom: As opposed to the red one I suggested earlier. This mushroom makes everyone switch their items and powerup status at random. However, these two swaps are independent of each other, so you might get Player 2's item and Player 3's current powerup.

Offline Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 02:22:37 PM »
And bigger skins. Because I think 192*32 px, it's a little bit small.

Ps: Sorry for my english.

Offline Jared

• Administrator
  • Quite Some Free Time
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 04:52:59 PM »
Sorry, but the skin size is directly related to the tile size -- Mario or whatever has to fit inside one tile, and tiles are 32x32 -- and this probably won't ever change, either, since it's been established ever since the first version of SMW and also because it means that all the existing maps fit quite nicely in a 640x480 window.  Not to shoot your suggestion down or make you feel bad or anything, and we do hope you stick around -- it's just that the 32x32 tile is quite well-established.

I'm going to go out on a limb and put this under the "No" header without official word.  (Of course, if one of the devvers calls me on this one, I'll move it.)

Oh, and we don't mind if you post around here with less-than-perfect English.  I mean, look at Florian.  :P

Two52 tells me I should add something to this list that I have been talking with him about elsewhere -- multikill bonuses.  I will do this in a minute, but I won't bother reposting it here because I like to be lazy every so often.