Author Topic: The new in-depth help topic(Look here for SMW/ forum help.)  (Read 25343 times)

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
  • this title came sooner than the last
The new in-depth help topic(Look here for SMW/ forum help.)
« on: November 07, 2006, 09:02:34 PM »
Before I start, here are some Important! links to go to before you start in these forums.
The FAQ section. Please read before you post a question.
The rules. These are VERY important and need to be read.
the most recent bugs report topic. Please post your bugs/ glitches here, instead of making a topic about it.
The suggestions thread is unfortunatly closed.
The search area. Many a forum-member would thank you for using this first instead of posting a question asking for something.
Tiptup's SMW star pack, going to be used to easily upload and download maps, and mabye in the future, everything else.
Even though Zash has left and his in-depth help topics with him, I have decided to start a new topic to help the new people. I will start out with a tutorial on how to post an image.
How to post images
    You first need to upload your image to an imagehosting site like
imageshack or tinypic. It needs to be in GIF or PNG form. You then get the direct/URL link from the site and start a post here.

You first need to press the circled button. Paste the URL right aftet the [img ] box that appears. you can also type that right in. After you have pasted the URL, press the button again. [/img ] should appear. You can also type this out, too. Finish your post, and click prieview to make sure the image shows. When you have confirmed this, press submit and your done.[/list]
How to make screenshots
    To make a pic of your map in the leveleditor, press insert. it will then appear in maps/screenshots. Maps/cache holds thumbnails of edited maps.
How to post your gfx packs, music, maps, etc.
    For these it is a little different. First you need a webhosting site.
Here is a very good site for this..You then need to browse your computer for the file you want to share in the upload area. When you have done this, click upload, and wait. When the upload is finished, click the link to the actual file on the site, copy the URL, and start your post here.

To make the URL, click the circled button. http://[/b] should appear. you can now do one of two things. First, if you want the URL to show, paste the URL after the URL block, and press the button again. But if you want a different text, or even a picture to show, do this [b][url=http][/b], then type or paste the text or image URL after the block, then close it by clicking the button again. You might want to click [b]preview[/b] to check if the link works. Once you have confirmed this, press submit.[/list][color=blue][b]Using the search function[/b][/color][list]The forums here have a search function, which is helpful when looking for something specific. The link is found in the top-left hand corner of your screen.[img]http://i13.tinypic.com/4dlvu4l.png[/img]Now, as you see, here is where you type in what you are searching for. You need to keep what you are typing in the box short and sweet. The two buttons below are self-explanitory. The bottom bar allows you to search by the author.[img]http://i13.tinypic.com/43ekies.png[/img]Now it gets a little harder here. This is where you say exactly what you want to search in. You can change here how long back your search goes, and if you search for topic title and message or just message. You can also change wether you search for post time, post subject, topic title, author, or forum, and what order it appears. The last thing here is return characters, which specifies how many letters appear for each post found.[img]http://i13.tinypic.com/345ehxj.png[/img]Not much here, but it specifies the forum you look at, the catagory(Projects{Super Mario War, Fan Made Content, jnrdev, and Pixelwar} or talk{Blah Blah Blah and the [b]important[/b] announcements.}), and if you see topic or posts. That is all there is to searching![b][color=blue]How to save skins.[/color][/b]Saving skins is really easy. You right click the skin, click save picture as, find the skins folder( SMW-[version #]-[release #]-bin/gfx/skins), click the filetypes, and [b]change the type to bitmap (BMP).[/b] Web browsers can not see bitmap for some reason, so you have to convert the filtype here. Before you are finished, you might want to check the name, for image hosters tend to mess it up. Once you have done all this, click save and your done! this also works for all images (userbars, stat cards, avatars, etc.)[/list][b][color=blue]Combining url and images.[/color][/b][list]You first do the beginning of the url like this:[url=theurl]then post the image with the boxes just like above here, then close the url. Be sure to test the link.[/list]
Linking to a specific post.
    At the top left of every post, you should see what looks like a piece of paper. It is a link to that exact post. To link to that post, right click it and use copy shortcut. You then use the URL tags to link to the post.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 02:16:13 PM by Big JM »

Offline YoshiRider

• More Common Poster
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 10:21:58 PM »
Thanks for the new help topic Big JM. and could you tell me how to post links to download a userbar or a sig, because when i put the link in, it just shows the picture instead of the link :?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by YoshiRider »

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 10:37:54 PM »
YoshiRider, I have moved the tutorial to the first post. If anyone needs a tutorial, please tell me!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Big JM »

Offline Chaos

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 07:43:29 PM »
Quote from: "Big JM"
If anyone needs a tutorial, please tell me!

I don't know why, but sometimes when I post a link for a picture, the [IMG] and [URL] tags do nothing. Help?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Chaos »

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 07:54:23 PM »
You use the tags the site provides, am I right? It needs to be lower case. like this-. The sites usually use upper case.
And Two52, Is it ok if I split the tutorials into seperate posts so people can link to the indivual tutorials?

Offline Chaos

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 08:54:49 AM »
When you do the IMG + URL thing, is it the URL from the adress bar or the code?

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 06:18:29 PM »
- Notice how the message board tags are capitals. We use lower case.
I used Tinypic, but this applies to all of them. What I do is take the highlighted url, (some will say direct link, or view directly, depending on the one you are using.). Copy that one, and use the  tags provided for you. The tags need to appear like this- . On a link, you can just copy it from the bar at the top of your browser (search bar, right?), and use the  tags just above the message body area.

Offline Agastya

• Pwetty Butterfwy
  • Is probably Booman
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 06:50:33 PM »
The case on the tag has no effect on if it works or not.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by LKA »

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 08:27:02 PM »
I'm just trying this to see what happens.
Hmm, I guess the site doesn't use a direct link in their codes.

Offline Chaos

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 11:44:40 AM »
Thank you, Big JM. I got the image links to work.

Offline fortyseventeen

• Gettin' Into the Swing of Things
    • http://operes.insecti.com/
Re: The new in-depth help topic(Look here for SMW/ forum hel
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 03:56:11 PM »
Quote from: "Big JM"
Linking to a specific post.
First off, you need to know exactly what post you want to link to. The first post does not count. You then copy the thread url, and type &start=(post #) after it. Afterwards, test it. If I want to link to the third post here, it would be http://http://forum.72dpiarmy.com/viewtopic.php?t=1348&start=2.
I could use this to seperate the tuts.

Actually, phpBB provides really easy permalinks for posts in the upper-left corner of each post.  It's the tiny icon that looks like a paper with a folded corner.  You can just copy the link's location.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by fortyseventeen »
Get your schtuff right here, folks! (site | thread)

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 05:42:47 PM »
I never knew that. I'll go fix it when I can.
Edit: fixed.

Offline Chaos

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 05:03:11 PM »
How do you make bonus wheel stops in tours?

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 07:08:49 PM »
I'm not sure. I usually don't do tours. I'll have a look though.
EDIT: right before the map name, put a 1 instead of a 0.

Offline Chaos

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 12:38:28 PM »
That doesn't work. It made it choose a random map.