Author Topic: Some bugs to fix for 1.7.  (Read 6550 times)

Offline SMW Fan

• Global Moderator
  • Lots of Free Time
Some bugs to fix for 1.7.
« on: May 27, 2006, 11:05:33 AM »
Here are some bugs that you should fix for 1.7. I tried them and they all work.

1. Sometimes, the music randomly stops playing.
2. Tap Enter alot of times after you open SMW and lok at what happens.
3. Win the game when your opponent still has a star and the music will continue to play.
4. If you press Esc when someone is squished and quit the game, the menu will mess up.
5. Put alot of breakable blocks in a level, and some won't show. It can also crash the game.
6. Make it so you can't spawn inside an interactive or solid tile.
7. In Yoshi's egg mode, get a 1up mushroom after you win and the winner's song will play again.

Fix them! :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by SMW Fan »

Offline Link901

• Global Moderator
  • Too Much Free Time
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 11:43:24 AM »
1.7's out for testing?!!:shock:  Well... I checked the main SMW page, but it's not there... aww... I really hoped to test it out and see what was new... :(
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Link901 »

Offline Anonymous

• On the Bright Side: You came close to your record for damage healed as Medic
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 11:48:39 AM »
Quote from: "Link901"
1.7's out for testing?!!:shock:  Well... I checked the main SMW page, but it's not there... aww... I really hoped to test it out and see what was new... :(

No it isn't. Those are for 1.6. :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Anonymous »

Offline Two52

• Administrator
  • Posts Very Often
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 01:07:05 PM »
1. Does anything specific happen before the music randomly stops playing?  Is it at the end of the song and fails to loop?  Is it after someone gets a star?
3.  So the events are: Opponent gets a star, another player wins game, invincible player is removed from game, regular music then starts to play instead of the level end music?
4. Kill a player and before they spawn again, press escape and exit to menu?  Or are they in the middle of spawning?
5. There is a maximum number of blocks that can be on a level.  I believe it is 128.  I'll put a check in there to make sure we don't crash if you have more.
6. How often does this happen to you?  I've never seen it and there is lots of spawning code to keep this from happening.

Thanks for the bug report!  I'll make sure I look at each one.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Two52 »

Offline SMW Fan

• Global Moderator
  • Lots of Free Time
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 04:29:05 PM »
1. It happens near the end when you are about to win.
3. Yes
4. Press Esc exactly when you squish someone and exit to the menu.
5. I'm talking about the breakable blocks in the "i" menu.
6. It dosen't happen alot. When they appear in a block, they zoom through the screen when you move left and right. :lol:

Offline Dave ‌Strider

• Quite Some Free Time
  • i am sort of a big deal ok?
    • the only site you need to visit
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 11:20:18 PM »
When they appear in a block, they zoom through the screen when you move left and right.

If you you make a warp so it leads to a block, you'll get that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Dude »

Offline Two52

• Administrator
  • Posts Very Often
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 02:30:32 PM »
Warping into tiles or blocks is either bad map making or intended by the map maker to exploit this behavior.  There is not much I can fix here except disallowing blocks to be placed outside warp tiles.

Here are the rules map makers should follow as good stewards of the game:

1) Don't place lava tiles to allow players to touch it's sides
2) Don't place tiles/blocks outside warp tiles
3) And in 1.7, don't allow players to be riding a moving platform and then touch another moving platform (that is solid) at the same time.  There is a limitation in the collision detection code that this causes funny behavior.  I know this is a weird rule, but the collision detection system needs a complete rewrite and moving platforms are sort of tacked on top of it causing this limitation.

Offline Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 02:34:27 PM »
For 2, make the lava kill the player from all sides and for 3, if this happens, make the platforms squish the player. :D

Offline Two52

• Administrator
  • Posts Very Often
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 02:39:58 PM »
To do #2, I'd have to implement death from sides tiles, which isn't on the list for 1.7.

For #3, actually this is the only time it is allowed to let players touch two platforms at the same time, if those platforms are going to kill players.  This allows you to have smashing areas and such.  What isn't allowed is if a player rides into the side of another moving platforms where one solid platform moves through another solid platform.  

I could restrict this in the map maker, but I think it would be too restrictive.  The speed in which a platform travels is settable and therefore you could time platforms never to hit each other even though they cross paths.

Offline Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 03:49:18 PM »
If the platforms hit, make them go through each other. If a player is on the way, it will die. :D

Offline Jared

• Administrator
  • Quite Some Free Time
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 08:05:14 PM »
Quote from: "Two52"
To do #2, I'd have to implement death from sides tiles, which isn't on the list for 1.7.

For #3, actually this is the only time it is allowed to let players touch two platforms at the same time, if those platforms are going to kill players.  This allows you to have smashing areas and such.  What isn't allowed is if a player rides into the side of another moving platforms where one solid platform moves through another solid platform.  

I could restrict this in the map maker, but I think it would be too restrictive.  The speed in which a platform travels is settable and therefore you could time platforms never to hit each other even though they cross paths.

In that case, make sure that people know about this (I will mention it in the whatsnew/readme if you want) and make sure there's a "test moving platforms" editor option so you can see what they'll do.

ALSO: someone just suggested in the S-Thread to have bricks break if you warp into them.  Is that possible for 1.7?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Jared »

Offline Two52

• Administrator
  • Posts Very Often
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 04:46:15 PM »
1. Hmm, I can't reproduce this.  If you see it again, please note the details (how many players, what game mode and goal, who won, etc)
2. When I tap enter a bunch of times the game just starts up and everything is fine.  What are you seeing?
3. Fixed
4. Fixed
5. Increased the block limit from 128 to 256.
6. Might be fixed.  I haven't seen it and the spawn system has been fixed up a bit.
7. Fixed
8. Warping into breakable block tiles won't be changed.  The problem is that collision detection between players and the map is not calculated when players are warping (so we can put them into solid pipe tiles).  The fix for this would be very involved and would probably cause lots of other bugs.
9. I have added a feature to the level editor to show the platforms flying around so you can check the paths.

Offline SMW Fan

• Global Moderator
  • Lots of Free Time
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 05:05:41 PM »
1. Classic mode with 4 players. That is when I remember seeing the bug. :D
2. It paused on the loading/credits screen. Should I post a picture?
Good job fixing them. :D

Offline Two52

• Administrator
  • Posts Very Often
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 06:08:20 PM »
2. I have completely rewritten the menu system for this release, so that bug should no longer exist.  Though, maybe there are new menu bugs for you to find... :)

Offline SMW Fan

• Global Moderator
  • Lots of Free Time
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 06:13:30 PM »
*Gets ready to post thousands of bugs* :lol:

I think bug 1 might only happen in Classic mode because I remember getting that bug alot when playing Classic mode over and over again. :)