Author Topic: Requesting help for making skins  (Read 350 times)

Offline mapsking

Requesting help for making skins
« on: March 16, 2018, 01:59:33 AM »
Not sure where to post, but I've made a few skins, they are all at SMWStuff.net.  I am not a graphics designer, and I feel like I am missing something simple.  How do I make the sprites work like the "Classic" character, where some of the colors change based on the color chosen?  I'm not talking about the red color that changes, based on Red, Green, Yellow, or Blue team, but specifically how do I get some colors to change based on which team is selected, but not others?  In the "Classic" example, Mario's overalls are the same blue color for every team, except when selecting the blue team, when they turn red.  There are some other characters like that as well, and I'd like to be able to do it, but don't know how. 

One other question, why are some of the skin bitmaps weird colors, like greens and yellows for the character sprites, an example being the case of the "Classic" skin that originally comes with the game?  Am I just an idiot?  Why not just use skin tones of Mario, instead of the weird tones?  Of course they show up correctly in game, and that is why I feel I'm missing something.  Is there a guide I can use or something?  I tried using the Super Skin Editor, but nothing works for me in there, so I use gimp.

Thanks for any help!  I loved this game ever since it first came out, and still play it with my kids all the time!  I would love to make my own character creation easier, but feel like I'm going about it the hard way.

[/url]

[/img]

Offline Hinatediz

• Regular
  • Whatever...
Re: Requesting help for making skins
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 11:44:57 AM »
If you wanna make Low-Res Skins, try to use a 16x16 square base... and then fill the entire of it, including the line borders but not pixel outside of it, when you're done, scale it to 32x32, repeat it for all other steps...

As for the team colors, be guided with Skin Editor if you want some colors be displayed properly...
Check my Stuff clicking Here!

Offline mapsking

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 03:14:19 PM »
Is there an advantage to using 16x16 and then scaling to 32x32?  Why not just start with 32x32?  I guess I'm confused.

Offline Hinatediz

• Regular
  • Whatever...
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 06:59:59 PM »
Is there an advantage to using 16x16 and then scaling to 32x32?  Why not just start with 32x32?  I guess I'm confused.

It's because it's easy to do pixel mistakes during a straight 32x32 conversion, while doing first 16x16 and then scalling it reduces the probability of having a pixel issue...
Check my Stuff clicking Here!

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
    • http://members.allegro.cc/felix-the-ghost/index.html
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 12:59:18 AM »
Do you have Windows or can otherwise run .exe executables in an emulated environment? If so I scrapped together a useful utility you can access with this link.

Although I'm not sure we have quite the userbase we once did, I plan on one day revamping the entire thing, considering I now have access to Mac and Linux for porting...