Author Topic: Speaking of Merging...  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Sir Ginger Ale

Speaking of Merging...
« on: March 14, 2015, 03:42:05 PM »
Hello, I doubt any one here will remember me but I used to be a pretty active member of this community under the name ilidrion years ago. I stopped posting shortly after Florian died. But I've always checked on the forums from time to time to see how it's holding on. It really sucks to see it has fallen so far from the awesome place that it once was.

Aaanyway, I think we should consider trying to contact people  in charge of the communities some of the larger fan games like Super Smash Flash 2 or Super Mario Bros X(which also has a pretty large custom content scene of it's own). SMW thrives when it has people involved with it- back it it's hayday, people would have so much fun and do really creative stuff for the various forum contests we used to have- and exposing to people who would have an appreciation for things like that could only be good for the future of this game.

In other than that though it's going to need a replacement for smw-stuff, the smwstuff.net is looking awsome, but it reeeally needs to have at least the ability to upload maps. Some sort of tagging system or other category sorting of thing to help people be able to find what they're looking for without having to trudge through every landscape in the mushroom kingdom would be cool too.

If we can revive the custom content community, the game won't even really need any more updates(although they would be more likely to happen with more people knowing about the game) other than maybe a couple bug fixes and stability tweaks.

The way I see it, the only other way would be to release something so huge on here that it could get the attention of people outside the community. Otherwise people will just continue to trickle in and out like they're been doing for the last couple years until no one posts here anymore.

PS- One of the verification questions is wrong. When it asks you "Are you sure?" [your're not a spambot] the correct answer should be "yes", but instead it is "no".

Edit: also, that DLL problem is also kinda killing us- makes it very difficult for new people to install the game.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 03:59:40 PM by Sir Ginger Ale »

Offline Agastya

• Pwetty Butterfwy
  • Is probably Booman
Re: Speaking of Merging...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 06:29:40 AM »
I fixed that question, at least. I didn't even know we had that many layers to registration!

Offline fluffypillow

• Regular
    • smwstuff.net
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 07:22:04 PM »
I agree that involving more people would be cool, but as you've said, they might find the current state a bit disappointing. Maybe we could ask them/create a contest for collecting the things they've saved from the original SMWStuff website?

In other than that though it's going to need a replacement for smw-stuff, the smwstuff.net is looking awsome, but it reeeally needs to have at least the ability to upload maps. Some sort of tagging system or other category sorting of thing to help people be able to find what they're looking for without having to trudge through every landscape in the mushroom kingdom would be cool too.

Thanks! The site is far from complete, I just launched it less than a month ago. I'm working on map support right now, but you can already add or search tags, and we're also discussing ideas and features in this thread.

Edit: also, that DLL problem is also kinda killing us- makes it very difficult for new people to install the game.

You can download my builds from here, these shouldn't require additional DLLs.

Offline Sir Ginger Ale

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 01:45:52 AM »
I agree that involving more people would be cool, but as you've said, they might find the current state a bit disappointing. Maybe we could ask them/create a contest for collecting the things they've saved from the original SMWStuff website?

Are there even enough people active still to have a contest? Especially since many people have already uploaded a lot of old stuff as it is. I mean if you have an idea for that I'm down to help- I really like the idea of contests like we used to have. Maybe we'll have less entries than hairs on the inside of the queens nose, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to try. I also have a couple of rough ideas for contests that could be interesting but I want to them to be a surprise so I'll hold of on them until I can polish them a little more.

Thanks! The site is far from complete, I just launched it less than a month ago. I'm working on map support right now, but you can already add or search tags, and we're also discussing ideas and features in this thread.

You can download my builds from here, these shouldn't require additional DLLs.

Thanks! I actually solved the problem on my own, but this would have come in handy last time. I really can't overstate how awesome I think all the stuff that you're doing here is. I never thought that I'd see SMWStuff again at all! If you need any help, I can't code unfortunately but I'm a wiz with the map editor and I can contribute original songs and sfx. I also can sift through the old stuff I have and sort it into categories to make it less of a chore for people to try and find the style of map/ skin they want. In the meantime I suppose I'll go check those things out.

Offline fluffypillow

• Regular
    • smwstuff.net
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 05:50:12 PM »
Looks like a wild map contest has appeared meanwhile. What I was thinking about is, if we get some more people, smwstuff.net becomes a bit more mature, or netplay gets completed, then we could launch some kind of "SMW has reborned!" campaign. That could include noticing other sites, or even sending mails to certain game news sites. Then the new users would probably have many content thought to be lost, and the forum would get more lively. Of course, this is just an idea; the timing of such thing would be important too, so this probably isn't something we can do in a few days.

Offline GaM3r2Xtreme

• Gettin' Into the Swing of Things
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 05:49:06 PM »
Timing would be key if a big explosion is desired to bring the community back. The "reborn" campaign sounds like a great idea too. Maybe big name gaming news sites like IGN might be a good place to spread the word to. Super Smash Flash 2 and Super Mario Bros X would be great sites to contact too and maybe even the community at smwcentral.net. Until Netplay is polished up and all the functions on smwstuff is close to completion, we should hold off on contacting anyone.

Offline lilydustyscooter

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 12:52:51 AM »
hi i am new to the community. i really want to revive super mario war.
super mario war is awesome. mountain dew is awesome