Author Topic: Troubleshooting Help: Top of SMW Screen Cut Off. Please Help.  (Read 676 times)

Offline GaryBiscuit

Troubleshooting Help: Top of SMW Screen Cut Off. Please Help.
« on: November 03, 2016, 03:48:03 PM »
Hi,

I just setup SMW on my (now old-ish) Windows XP box. Everything works great, except from the opening title and through all the levels, etc. - the top 10-15 (or so) pixels are entirely cut off. More accurately, its like the entire SMW screen is shifted UP 10-15 pixels. As if it's entire Y value is bumped up some. Has anyone seen this before? And, if so, could you help a brother out?

I know what the immediate response here will be: "Are your screen settings of your display off or bad somehow?" Nope. I've got loads of games running from this machine (emulators, PC games, etc.) and the only time this happens is with SMW.

For what it's worth, I'm using:
===================
* Win XP SP3
* ... On an old Dell something-or-other
* GeForce FX 5200 Graphics Card
* modern Samsung HD TV
* Resolution at 1024 x 768 (I think, could verify that later)

I can workaround this somewhat by making the scores display at the bottom (instead of the top), but - you know - I want to have the best SMW experience I can, and having the top little-bit cut off subtracts from that.

Any help is appreciated.

- Gary

Offline fluffypillow

• Regular
    • smwstuff.net
Re: Troubleshooting Help: Top of SMW Screen Cut Off. Please Help.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 03:53:12 PM »
Wow, I haven't seen this bug yet. Which version of SMW are you using?

Offline GaryBiscuit

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 03:58:38 PM »
v1.8 Beta 2

It also happened with the one previous to that, 1.7.

- Gary

Offline fluffypillow

• Regular
    • smwstuff.net
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 04:07:58 PM »
Ah, I mean, where did you download it? From supersanctuary, or smwstuff, or maybe some other place? The one on smwstuff is slightly different (despite the same version number; it fixes some of the bugs found during the years). Try out both versions (supersanctuary/smwstuff), maybe one of them has a fix for it already.

Offline GaryBiscuit

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 04:31:37 PM »
This is the one I downloaded:

http://smw.supersanctuary.net/18Beta2/smw-1.8-beta2-bin.zip

As far as I can tell, this is the only version available.

Offline GaryBiscuit

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 04:33:54 PM »
Oh, I see the smwstuff site you're talking about now. I'll try that version (when I get home) and let you know either way if that fixed it or not.

- Gary

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
    • http://members.allegro.cc/felix-the-ghost/index.html
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 01:53:06 AM »
Have you tried it in windowed mode to tell if the game itself is cutting the top off?

I know you said you've ran other programs in the past on this machine, but if that was some time ago you might try again to tell if indeed nothing has changed in your hardware configuration in that time.

Offline GaryBiscuit

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 10:36:07 AM »
I tried the version from smwstuff... same thing happened. I looked at the game in Windowed Mode, and it was not cut off. So, I'm guessing it's something about the resolution the game runs at and my (modern) TV's handling of it. Is there a way to run SMW at a specific resolution?

- Gary

Offline fluffypillow

• Regular
    • smwstuff.net
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 04:56:36 PM »
Maybe your TV set the overscan incorrectly? That would explain why it happens with SMW and only in fullscreen, even if other programs work fine. When you start a game that changes the screen resolution to archieve fullscreen mode, like SMW, the TV tries to guess the aspect ratio and how it should scale the image to the screen, but sometimes it's incorrect. You can change how it should handle it, on Samsung TVs, there should be a Tools menu, and a Screen Size or Aspect Ratio option there. There can be values like Auto, 4:3, "Zoom", "Wize Zoom" and such, try playing with that.

Offline GaryBiscuit

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 07:35:44 PM »
Tried all that :-/ No matter what mode I set the TV to, it still chops off the top some when it's in full-screen mode. In windowed mode, it displays fine still. So weird. Maybe because of my graphics card? GeForce FX 5200? Kind of old now.

- Gary