Author Topic: TheRessen's Skins & Mods  (Read 5482 times)

Offline TheRessen

• Gettin' Into the Swing of Things
  • Randomness is a bless...
    • deviantART Profile
TheRessen's Skins & Mods
« on: August 12, 2015, 03:36:48 PM »
Hello everybody! I'm new here...

I'm a little addicted to Super Mario War since I discovered this gem. It's very funny.
So I got the vibe to make some custom contents to play and I'll like to share with you all.

I have a little experience with graphics, so I'm starting to make some skins to put them into the fun.

Here it goes:

Dangerous Dave:

Alex Kidd:

Bugdroid:

Garfield:

I have more ideas to skins so I'll be post some new stuff soon.

Hope you like it!

Greetings.
I never love you, I always rent you to bring the truth to the hand...

Offline asgardreid

• Posts Very Often
Re: TheRessen's Skins & Mods
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 04:54:44 PM »
Hey, welcome - and nice skins! That hand-drawn Garfield in particular is really solid. Awesome for a first post. Plus, I appreciate that on SMWStuff you were so clear about whether each skin was hand-drawn or an edit of a pre-existing sprite. And the presentation here is great too, look at those thorough previews! Or were those automatically generated by Felix's skin editor? I don't know, I'm a Mac guy, can't use it myself.

The one thing I would suggest you add to the SMWStuff entries is the franchise each skin is from. You can tag them in the description in the text box by adding, say, [Android] (need those square brackets) for Bugdroid, or just [Garfield] for Garfield. Then it appears as a clickable tag. That's why you can search SMWStuff for e.g. "Pokemon" and get all the Pokemon skins.

But that's just me being nitpicky. Wouldn't mention it at all except that you seem to have a good flair for presentation. Hope to see more skins from you soon!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:18:48 PM by asgardreid »

Offline TheRessen

• deviantART Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 10:26:05 AM »
Hello...!

First of all, thank you for your such kind words.

When I'm posting something I made from scratch or when I'm posting a edit I like to descript things just like they are to don't fool anybody...

These previews I made taking screenshots while using Felix's skin editor. So I append the images and put a background corresponding to team color. The weird thing is I'm not using the Felix's skin editor to make skins. I just use my favourite pixel art editor, MSPaint (laugh)...

Your suggestion is awesome because it can help me searching for skins too! All the descriptions to my skins are updated now.

Even with a reasonable presentation, I'm not a too communicative guy (laugh)...

More stuff coming, for sure. Stay tuned!

You have awesome skins, I'm going to download them to play...keep doing!

Thank you on more time for your reply.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:33:48 AM by TheRessen »

Offline asgardreid

• Posts Very Often
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 11:46:49 AM »
Oh I see, so you make the skins in MS Paint, load them into Felix's skin editor just to get the in-game preview colors, and then compose these preview graphics from there? Well, that's very thorough, nice job indeed.

Offline Hinatediz

• Regular
  • Crash Bandicoot Trilogy Remastered!! HYPE TRAIN!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 08:04:48 PM »
Hey! I know you from DeviantArt!!

Your skins are awesome, bro!
Check my Stuff clicking Here!

Offline TheRessen

• deviantART Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 12:47:45 AM »
Oh I see, so you make the skins in MS Paint, load them into Felix's skin editor just to get the in-game preview colors, and then compose these preview graphics from there? Well, that's very thorough, nice job indeed.

Thank you one more time. Yeah, I do this way.

Hey! I know you from DeviantArt!!

Your skins are awesome, bro!

I'm glad you like it...!

Wait, are you Greasy-LucarioYun, AKA Greasiggy, isn't? You sent me a request to do some sprite edits some time ago. I sent you a message on dA yesterday...

You have nice works, keep doing!!

Offline TheRessen

• deviantART Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 12:57:18 AM »
New skin:

Bugdroid (v.2):

Almost redundant, but better than the first posted (IMO).

Offline asgardreid

• Posts Very Often
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 08:37:18 AM »
Oh, I agree, that's a major improvement! I like the choice of no outlines, it matches the logo better.

As far as SMWStuff goes, you don't have to upload every draft of a skin as its own thing. You can actually replace a skin "in-place" so that it keeps its original download and star count, etc. You can do that by clicking on the entry for any skin you've uploaded, clicking on the purple pencil icon, and browsing for a new image file to replace it. It may take a minute for the change to appear, but the older skin will be replaced by the newer skin yet its download count, stars, and so on will be unchanged.

Just to let you know that there are options. It's fine if you'd rather keep both Bugdroid versions uploaded separately on the site, especially since the change was quite drastic in this case. But for minor tweaks and the like, that's a really handy feature that fluffypillow built in.

Offline TheRessen

• deviantART Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 04:20:45 PM »
Oh, I agree, that's a major improvement! I like the choice of no outlines, it matches the logo better.

As far as SMWStuff goes, you don't have to upload every draft of a skin as its own thing. You can actually replace a skin "in-place" so that it keeps its original download and star count, etc. You can do that by clicking on the entry for any skin you've uploaded, clicking on the purple pencil icon, and browsing for a new image file to replace it. It may take a minute for the change to appear, but the older skin will be replaced by the newer skin yet its download count, stars, and so on will be unchanged.

Just to let you know that there are options. It's fine if you'd rather keep both Bugdroid versions uploaded separately on the site, especially since the change was quite drastic in this case. But for minor tweaks and the like, that's a really handy feature that fluffypillow built in.

Yeah, I feel this one more faithful to the original design too.

Oh man, I didn't knew that option. Anyway, I'll keep both variations, since the design change is notable just like you said.

In case of minor changes to the previous ones, I'll use this option to replace them. Thank you very musch for the suggestion!

Offline herb fargus

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 10:07:42 PM »
Hey- you guys seem rather knowledgeable about skins- perhaps you can help me. I adapted 5 skins from Super Mario RPG (which work quite well) but for some reason when I upload them to smwstuff.net they get all wonky (exhibit A: http://smwstuff.net/skin=1050) did I create them wrong? the bit depth is 24 and its the right dimensions- and I'm pretty sure the colour codes are correct as well. You can download it yourself- and it looks fine but not so much on the site.

Offline asgardreid

• Posts Very Often
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 07:25:35 AM »
Oh wow, jeez. You're right, it's weird because I downloaded Geno and he does indeed work fine in-game, so it wasn't a corruption of the file itself. However, I notice that the filesize is 18,554 bytes, whereas the standard file size is 18,484 bytes. As improbable as it sounds, that tiny bit of extra encoded information might be throwing SMWStuff off...

EDIT: Oops, missed that this was posted by herb fargus, not theressen.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 01:27:39 PM by asgardreid »

Offline fluffypillow

• Regular
    • smwstuff.net
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 07:31:18 AM »
Your BMP contain something called "color space information", which causes these glithes. You can turn this off when you save; for example it looks like this in GIMP: http://gimpforums.com/attachment.php?aid=2404

Alternatively, uploading the skin as PNG should also work.
smwstuff.net
Working on: Netplay, Content hosting site, asm.js port

Offline herb fargus

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 12:38:55 PM »
thanks fluffy! the color space information was the issue- now my skins look pretty again :)

Offline TheRessen

• deviantART Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 02:27:36 PM »
I saw these ones before you could fix them... they are very nice...!

Today I'm back with some new stuff:

Abe (from Oddworld Series: Oddysee, Exoddus, etc.)

Rayman:

Alt. color scheme: Download

Hope you all like it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 02:30:39 PM by TheRessen »

Offline TheRessen

• deviantART Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 07:43:57 PM »
One more...

Quote from Cave Story: