Author Topic: Created my first skin, but not sure how to upload it.  (Read 3915 times)

Offline xirtamehtsitahw

Created my first skin, but not sure how to upload it.
« on: February 14, 2015, 05:04:17 AM »
Used the ! message icon to hopefully get more attention drawn to this post/thread.

I created a Mewtwo skin for the PSP version of SMW, and it was a bit of a challenge to find a color that the game wouldn't show as pure white, gray, blue, or some other unwanted color. I finally found a color that isn't TRUE purple, but it shows up as purple in-game.

BTW, my Mewtwo skin isn't very detailed, but I tried to convey a "cute and chubby" look to him--he's not exactly someone you want landing on top of you! Plus, I added a funny joke for when he gets stomped! You'll have to see it to find out what the joke is! ;)

As for uploading this skin, I need to find an image-hosting site to upload to. Any recommendations?
I can say with 100 percent certainty that there is exactly an 11.1% chance the last digit of pi is 1.

Offline Fortis

• Gettin' Into the Swing of Things
Re: Created my first skin, but not sure how to upload it.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 12:27:03 PM »
I personally use photobucket. It's worked well for me so far.

Offline xirtamehtsitahw

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 12:52:50 PM »
Thanks for helping a n00b out. ;D

Gonna give it a try, and hopefully you can critique my work (I made 'Two in the SMB3 style--simple, flat colors with an outline), and tell me where I can improve.

Here's my Mewtwo skin, resized for PC usage:

Please note that these sprites were entirely hand-drawn, without using any visual aids whatsoever. Plus, I had to use a trial-and-error method to find a proper purple for Mewtwo's belly, eyes and tail.

Mewtwo's walking/running motion is him hopping, kangaroo-style. I based this decision on a fanfic I read, where Mewtwo hopped like a kangaroo. However, due to the frame-size restrictions, I couldn't have Mewtwo actually bound upward with each hop. It's a small price to pay, I think. ;)

Oh, and about the "stomped" pose--I thought it would be funny if Mewtwo mooned his opponent for DARING to stomp on his head!  ;D

I updated my Mewtwo skin to give him softer, more Melee-like colors, plus give him more defined arms, second neck, and eyes. His head is also larger than before, so it gives him the perfect "chubby chibi" look.

Here's the link to the newly updated Mewtwo skin:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 06:03:57 PM by xirtamehtsitahw »
I can say with 100 percent certainty that there is exactly an 11.1% chance the last digit of pi is 1.

Offline asgardreid

• Posts Very Often
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 01:05:30 PM »
Hey! This Mewtwo looks adorable! Unfortunately, it doesn't show up when I insert it in my skins folder as a .bmp, and I think I can tell from looking at it what the problem is.

You must have done this as a 16x96 file first and then scaled it up to 32x192, right? I don't know which software you use, but you should check the scaling options. Myself, I use GIMP, and there are some "interpolation" options when I scale an image up or down. I always choose None, because I don't want GIMP to calculate in-between shades for the new pixels, I just want it to flatly double every pixel's size. Check your software and see if there's a similar option.

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
    • http://members.allegro.cc/felix-the-ghost/index.html
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 10:26:25 PM »
The problem is it's uploaded as a PNG image, you can't implicitly convert it by simply renaming the extension. You can copy the pixel data directly into an image program and save that as a BMP though.

Original poster should upload the BMP, in the meantime users will have to convert it themselves.

Offline asgardreid

• Posts Very Often
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 11:09:49 PM »
I'm not sure that's the problem; I also upload my skins as PNGs out of necessity (see the first post in my topic), but I can save one as a PNG, convert it to a BMP by renaming it, and then it works fine for the game.

This Mewtwo skin looks very blurry when you download it and view it up close. It looks very much like a scaling issue...

Offline KingPepe

• Forum Moderator
  • this title came sooner than the last
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 10:31:48 AM »
The scaling issue can easily be fixed in Paint. When you finish the skin, you need to press Ctrl + A (which selects the whole image) and then resize it. Resizing it without selecting the image causes it to blur for some reason.

Quote from: \"JJames19119\"
Times today are just as bad what with the video game market being made up of 80% first person shooters that are 80% brown and 20% black and 100% bloom.

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 02:03:09 AM »
Yes, there is a scaling issue in the creation of the skin, that is not why the image fails to load in the game.

You cannot implicitly convert an image format into another by renaming it, and you are experiencing a symptom of trying to do so. Imagine having a .PDF file and simply renaming it to .BMP -- it doesn't change the information in the file, more specifically the file header that tells the program how to interpret the data inside.

I can't doubt however that when you don't use some PNG features the pixel data coincidentally stays intact for the game to load it, even though it should reject it, apparently it tries it best to read the pixel data, but it's bad practice even if it "works"

That said I honestly I can't believe SMW doesn't support PNG. If I cared a little more I'd probably do something about it.

Offline fluffypillow

• Regular
    • smwstuff.net
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 08:43:57 AM »
SMW DOES support PNG images, but currently the program only "sees" skin files with lowercase bmp extension. Actually, almost any kind of image can be loaded by simply renaming, as SMW can recognize the file type. It will work in game as long as it's resolution is 192x32 AND it has 24 bits per pixel as bit depth.

As for this skin, you can fix the scaling by setting the 'interpolation' type to None (in GIMP) or Nearest-Neighbor (in PS), or just resize the image in Paint.

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 02:38:30 AM »
If there exists an extension filter, then it does not support any other format. "Tricking" it into reading other formats as though they were another may occasionally work (as you said when the data is similarly formatted) but is still bad practice. I really can't say if SMW determines the data type by the extension (though it obviously filters by extension) or by the actual file header.

It is unfortunate the game was abandoned before really being finished. We could support modern image formats and if the game was finished maybe there would be a better hosting option for content posters.

To the thread author, I use PostImage because other hosting options really gross me out :P
I don't really have much SMW content (it converts BMP to PNG...) but I use it whenever I need to show an image to a community (e.g. screenshots)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 02:46:31 AM by Felix-The-Ghost »

Offline fluffypillow

• Regular
    • smwstuff.net
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 08:01:15 PM »
I agree that it is a bad practice, and this should be fixed in the future. What I would like to point out is that the game could easily read PNG files if we tell it to not ignore them (SMW can decide the file type by the header, the extension only serves as a hint). The graphics code isn't very pretty, but with some hacking the 24 bpp limitation could be removed too.

Offline xirtamehtsitahw

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 10:53:46 PM »
I do apologize for the extreme delay in responding to this thread, but I had specifically constructed that spriteset for the PSP version of Super Mario War. As such, I HAD to build it in 16x96 format. Also, I didn't even use SSE until the very end (mainly to get the colors just right). To actually build the sprites from scratch, I used Paint.NET, as it is a very powerful (and free) drawing program, which enables one to build such sprites entirely from scratch.

Besides, it's easier to use than other drawing programs (including the original Microsoft Paint), so it's my go-to program for building sprites.

As for calling Mewtwo "adorable", that's the look I was going for: a sort of "chubby chibi" look. As for his "squashed" sprite, it was sort of a gag I came up with, where Mewtwo appears to "moon" whoever just stomped him.  ;D

Offline asgardreid

• Posts Very Often
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 07:24:38 AM »
Do you have the 16x96 file too? Would you mind uploading that one?