Author Topic: Asgardreid's Hand-Drawn Skins 2014: The Changing of the 'Gard  (Read 23472 times)

Offline asgardreid

• Posts Very Often
Asgardreid's Hand-Drawn Skins 2014: The Changing of the 'Gard
« on: August 07, 2014, 04:36:16 PM »
UPDATE: Shortcut to Asgardreid's Smash Project!

Hi!

Anybody here?

No?

Great. That's fine. I was just over here cookin' up some skins again for the first time in -- what, five years? Six years? Five -- Six years. Cool. The thing is, I've been suffering the Smash 4 fever something fierce, and what better way to ease off the hype than by pitting some Smash characters against each other in SMW? That's, uh, what I've been doing. Drawing Smash characters (along with some appealing Smash candidates) as skins and then um... yeah.

SO HERE WE GO!

I'm not going to repost every skin from my old topic, because there are way too many and most of them weren't too hot. But I'd definitely like to bring back a few of the old gang. Beforehand, though, let's get some things out of the way:
  • Mediafire zip containing all skins posted here - 85 as of July 9th
  • 1.8 beta 2 compatible (I'm not making them with the Stomp Arena alpha in mind).
  • All of the skins as seen below are .PNG, NOT .BMP. This is annoying and I'd rather not do it this way, but I haven't found an image uploader that 1. accepts bitmap files and 2. lets you keep the original assigned file name (as opposed to renaming it with a gibberish string like Imgur or Tinypic). You can easily and losslessly change any .png skin to a .bmp by renaming it, but you can also just download the above zip file, in which all the skins are bitmaps like they should be. Or, where applicable, you can also just click on the SMWStuff link and individually download the skin as a .bmp.
  • Unlike in my old thread, I'm not planning to try to accommodate every skin request. I'll consider anything, but by far, the best chance I'll fulfill a request is if it's for a Smash character or one who would fit well in the Smash setting (like Bomberman, Black Mage, or Geno).
  • I'm not really sure why I bothered specifying that. Requests?? Like three people are going to read this by the end of the year!
Well, who cares? On to the returning skins!

MR. GAME & WATCH

SMWStuff link
Green team preview:
Spoiler

OLIMAR

SMWStuff link
Red team preview:
Spoiler

R.O.B.

SMWStuff link
Red team preview:
Spoiler

LUCARIO

(I might revamp this guy. He's holding up okay, though.)
Blue team preview:
Spoiler
UPDATE: I've completely revamped Lucario! See this post for the new version.

KING DEDEDE

SMWStuff link
Red team preview:
Spoiler

PIT

(Now Pit, I should definitely revamp. Still, he fits the Smash theme.)
Yellow team preview:
Spoiler
UPDATE: I've completely revamped Pit! See this post for the new version.

TOON LINK

SMWStuff link
Green team preview:
Spoiler
UPDATE: I've completely revamped Toon Link! See this post for the new version.

TOM NOOK

SMWStuff link
Blue team preview:
Spoiler

WOLF

SMWStuff link
Blue team preview:
Spoiler

BOMBERMAN

(He REALLY needs a revamp. But Bomberman would be such a fun guest fighter, I couldn't resist bringing him back.)
Red team preview:
Spoiler
UPDATE: I've completely revamped Bomberman! See this post for the new version.

GENO

SMWStuff link
Blue team preview:
Spoiler

TORTERRA

(Okay, not anyone's idea of a Smash candidate. But... I love this old skin.)
SMWStuff link
Green team preview:
Spoiler

WARMECH

(Same deal. Not really an appropriate Final Fantasy rep, but I'm very fond of this one.)
SMWStuff link
Green team preview:
Spoiler

And with the returning veterans out of the way... WARNING. CHALLENGERS APPROACHING.

VILLAGER

(My first new sprite of 2014. His stare is, um, a little unnerving.)
SMWStuff link
Red team preview:
Spoiler
UPDATE: I've completely revamped the Villager! See this post for the new version.

LITTLE MAC

SMWStuff link
Green team preview:
Spoiler

BLACK MAGE

(Loosely based on the Tactics Black Mage design, because that is the best game.)
SMWStuff link
Yellow team preview:
Spoiler

PAC-MAN

SMWStuff link
Red team preview:
Spoiler
UPDATE: I've partially revamped Pac-Man. See this post for the new version.

CAPTAIN FALCON

(His jump pose? The Knee of Justice, obviously.)
SMWStuff link
Red team preview:
Spoiler

ROSALINA & LUMA

I think, um... I think those are stars in her jump sprite. I'm pretty sure.)
SMWStuff link
Yellow team preview:
Spoiler

ICE CLIMBERS

(My last and favorite new skin. The standing pose is actually adapted from a scrapped draft I had all the way back in 2008. I'm glad these little cuties got to see the light of the day. They're pretty adorable in battle, as you'll see.)
SMWStuff link
Blue team preview:
Spoiler
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:23:56 PM by asgardreid »

Offline 108Specter

• Kinda Regular
Re: Asgardreid's Hand-Drawn Skins 2014: The Changing of the 'Gard
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 10:35:19 AM »
Excellent! Since i'm trying to save all the forum stuff in a single huge folder, in case of things going down again, this is really a pleasant surprise. But say, so you don't want to repost all of the old skins, right? Well, it's a shame because i would really like to get the Froslass and Twinkle ones. :/

Offline asgardreid

• Posts Very Often
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 11:21:34 AM »
Happy to oblige! I'm not planning on dumping most of the other old skins (though I might bring back a few more), but any skin of mine is readily available on request, except for the ones I made for the Halloween edition which may have disappeared completely. Too bad. I seem to remember putting together a pretty bitchin' Cthulhu.

Anyway, here are Twinkle and Froslass. I can't really see the appeal of this Twinkle skin (tbh I don't even remember what franchise she's from) but Froslass still looks okay, I think.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 01:10:07 PM by asgardreid »

Offline 108Specter

• Kinda Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 11:28:17 AM »
Oh, really thanks! I needed these two so much!

Don't worry about the HWE skins, i managed to save them all. In fact, i am planning to create a Rar file with all the stuff i saved, though it will take a while until i organize everything.

Offline Hinatediz

• Regular
  • Crash Bandicoot Trilogy Remastered!! HYPE TRAIN!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 08:34:32 PM »
Whoah! You returned like a god!

Nice new skins! I've enjoyed Lucario so far!

So no one is here?

...good... I will request!! HAHAHAHA!!!

...as you enjoy some Megaman, Pokémon and Danganronpa...

it will be an honor if you do Blizzard Buffalo, Simisage and Sakura Oogami. Yeah.
Check my Stuff clicking Here!

Offline asgardreid

• Posts Very Often
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 09:23:36 PM »
Oh, I wouldn't want to tread on your DR territory. Actually, I was thinking of suggesting that you tackle Oogami along with Nidai, since their bulky frames would probably fit a square canvas better than their skinny classmates.

But, sure, Blizzard Buffalo looks like a fun challenge. And Simisage, well, I can manage that too.

In the meantime, here's one I previewed all the way back in July 12, 2008, but never finished. In fact, I couldn't find a draft of this anywhere, so I had to reconstruct the skin from the preview image I posted there. Worth it. Didn't change a pixel on the standing pose. Cutest little evil sorcerer/pig-man ever.

GANONDORF

SMWStuff link
Red team preview:
Spoiler

(Also, I edited the Geno skin. His eyes were the wrong color, I can't believe I didn't notice. They should be red when he's on the blue team, so secondary color it is.)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 03:53:48 PM by asgardreid »

Offline asgardreid

• Posts Very Often
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 08:19:14 PM »
Today, an old fighter returns to the fold -- but not in his original form. I had a skin for this guy dating back all the way to late 2007, but it's no longer very good by my current standards. I wanted him to return to SMW as much as I want him to return to Smash, so I give you the new and improved...

MEWTWO

SMWStuff link
Blue team preview:
Spoiler
(And let's take a look at the two of them side-by-side. November 2007 vs. August 2014...)
Spoiler
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:10:25 AM by asgardreid »

Offline 108Specter

• Kinda Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 09:40:49 PM »
Really good! Now that's an improvement!

I will keep both the new and old versions, because why not? Since you're giving priority to Smash Bros related skins, do you plan to bring back the Kirby forms?

Offline asgardreid

• Posts Very Often
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 10:05:23 AM »
Oh yeah! What with the Smash theme, I guess there's no reason to keep Kirby on the bench. Here's a new version with some slight remodelling (I didn't like the way he didn't bob down while walking) and a major color overhaul. The monochrome palette of the original was bothering me a lot, and this pink-colored version looks a lot better in the red team.

KIRBY

SMWStuff link
Red team preview:
Spoiler

I'll have to see about bringing back the hats, too. Actually, it'd be fun to make a Kirby hat for every other SMW character I draw... That'd be quite a project, though.

Anyway, I've got one more skin to get out of my system, and then it's on to Hinatediz' requests. (Or do you prefer to go by Greasiggy?)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 03:54:25 PM by asgardreid »

Offline 108Specter

• Kinda Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 10:49:19 AM »
Maybe the hats will be more fun than difficult to do.

I suppose that this "one more skin" is Ike?

Hinatediz, Greasiggy, Blizzard Bufallo, Edo or Iggy-san, as he is known. I second his requests, since i like to collect MagaMan and Pokemon skins.

Offline asgardreid

• Posts Very Often
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 10:52:14 AM »
No, this next skin is an all-new one! I do feel bad about Ike. His stand pose is pretty good and appropriately hulking, but I hate his jump pose, it looks silly. If I bring him back, it'll be with a partial or complete revamp.

This next skin is an assist trophy in SSB4 who could totally have been a playable character. Next time, maybe.

Offline 108Specter

• Kinda Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 10:58:11 AM »
Oh, now that's quite a mystery. I wonder who it will be...

Offline asgardreid

• Posts Very Often
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 01:04:43 PM »
And it's...

DILLON

SMWStuff link
Red team preview:
Spoiler
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 03:54:50 PM by asgardreid »

Offline 108Specter

• Kinda Regular
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 03:42:04 PM »
Now there's another mystery XD Who is he exactly?

Offline asgardreid

• Posts Very Often
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 03:52:55 PM »
http://dillonsrollingwestern.wikia.com/wiki/Dillon%27s_Rolling_Western_Wiki

"Dillon's Rolling Western" is a 3DS game on the eShop. Haven't played it, but when I saw him unveiled as a SSB4 assist trophy, I loved his design.