Author Topic: Super Mario War: Stomp Arena pre-Alpha 2  (Read 10921 times)

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
  • this title came sooner than the last
Super Mario War: Stomp Arena pre-Alpha 2
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:41:21 PM »
Alright, pre Alpha 2 is here, with several fixes, new features, and a lite version of the game to test your maps with!

Also, we included a new feature: TileFX! With it, you can change the way a tile looks. Currently, we only have recoloring. To see it in action, check out the Sunset Beach map!

Downloads:
http://smw.supersanctuary.net/SMWSA/SMWSApreA2.zip
http://smw.supersanctuary.net/SMWSA/SMWSApreA2.tar.gz

Screenshots:
Spoiler

Changes:

- Re-enabled Editor Console (it actually works this time).
- Fixed toolset and layer previews not changing when opening or creating a new map.
- Fixed selective layer view mode not being very selective.
- Added selection mode. Controls: Esc cancels the current selection; delete deletes the current selection; enter finalizes a paste.
- Fixed platforms sometimes crashing the editor.
- Fixed issue where some maps were not loading into the editor properly.
- Fixed platforms to where they won't change their center on save.
- Added copy, cut, paste, and delete features.
- Added variable spawn zone/tile type brush sizes.
- Added variable eraser sizes.
- Added TileFX feature. Right now, only a recolor option exists.

As always, keep pointing out bugs and posting maps! We'll try to include some more  from the community with each release.

Note: platforms from the previous release might need their speed settings adjusted.

Offline EON8ight

• Stomp Arena Staff
  • Regular
  • Dropped the screw in the tuna
    • EON8ight's Repository
Re: Super Mario War: Stomp Arena pre-Alpha 2
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:53:01 PM »
In-game controls:

Esc = exit
F1 = toggle debug features
F2 = take screenshot
F4 = kill player one
F5 = toggle fullscreen
F6 = toggle windowed mode

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
  • this title came sooner than the last
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 11:07:14 PM »
A quick note on the recolor TileFX: It currently doesn't like transparency, so I've added a way to redo the transparency on a block. Just set the altered color( usually pure black or pure white) to 255 red, 0 green, 255 blue. The editor will recognize that as the transparency color.

Offline MC Jimmy

• Global Moderator
  • Ain't Nothin' but a Hound Dawg
  • Pon de replay?
    • MC Productions
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 11:26:59 PM »
I'm assuming we can post bugs in this thread too right? Anyways, the bomb power up has a graphical error because it looks like it is floating a couple pixels. Also the star music plays over the main music which is annoying.

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
    • http://members.allegro.cc/felix-the-ghost/index.html
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 11:36:37 PM »
Trufax:
  • When moving with the cape (or tail), pressing CTRL (attacking/spinning) seems to lock your momentum so you can't change it while in this animation.

• The player can jump too high -- or higher than the old SMW. For reference you can jump from the lowest level all the way to the white block in 0smw.

• the debug window is made after the game window -- making it on top by default

• the boomerang sound doesn't loop for the whole animation (plays once)

• when warping in pipes (or I guess anything) the player isn't cropped correctly (or at all) so the graphic is displayed on top of the block

• there's no "swirl" when using items

• The "loopy's dungeon map's warps are screwed :P
    • I don't understand the level editor well to test if it's the map or the engine, but the warps on "desert battle" can be accessed in the air adjacent to the pipes

• when you first start a map, you start with a mystery item? the bombs powerup in your reserve slot
    • collecting another item while you have one in reserve doesn't overwrite the old one
    • some items that should activate instantly have to be used (weapons)

• throwing bombs is affected by a mystery factor, maybe speed and position of the player -- you can throw them behind you, straight up, or even glitch them through the ground

• you can be killed with your own podobos and ice blocks

• there's no limit to the amount of magic beams any deployed items on screen

• you can't land on any tiles in the "toast" map -- nor is there fall acceleration implemented to kill you

• if you stand next to a  "carry spike" and jump, you will die (make sure to check momentum direction and not just x/y)

• you don't have to "double jump" for the P-wing; you can just hold [UP] from the ground, which is wrong implementation
    • rapidly tapping [UP] with the P-wing makes many layers of sound

• you can't walk through springs from the left (you bounce back), but they are passable from the right side
    • you can blow up the springs, too
    • there doesn't appear to be any height gain when jumping on a spring (your normal jump is superior :P)

• collecting the star powerup unnecessarily plays the mushroom upgrade sound

• I've had a powerup block release nothing once (feature?)

• "falling through" the right blocks doesn't work sometimes

• doing it on slopes can sometimes make you "bounce" on them

• jumping up through a slope block will "snap" you to it (check y velocity and not just x/y)

Probably many more bugs, but it's late for me so I'll check later

Opinions:

I don't know if I'll ever get used to these big maps and not being able to see your skin (untrue to retro resolutions)

Think the New Pork City map in Super Smash Brothers Brawl: "Oh hey cool map it's huge!" but do you need a big map? You can't see your player!
Just my opinion that I'm sure no one will ever care about.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 12:39:13 AM by Felix-The-Ghost »

Offline Mysterypea

• Too Much Free Time
  • Draw me like one of your grinch girls
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 12:19:13 AM »
Is it me, or are the hotkeys in the editor broken? Pressing them (t for tiles, b for backgrounds, etc.) doesn't work.

Edit: Tile types don't work. Using them in the editor causes the console to display tons of error messages. Apparently it's caused when you're in entity location mode. Not sure if it's intentional or not, probably isn't.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:15:55 AM by Mysterypea »

Offline pikaguy900

• Gettin' Into the Swing of Things
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 12:41:30 AM »
Trufax:
  • When moving with the cape (or tail), pressing CTRL (attacking/spinning) seems to lock your momentum so you can't change it while in this animation.

• The player can jump too high -- or higher than the old SMW. For reference you can jump from the lowest level all the way to the white block in 0smw.

• the debug window is made after the game window -- making it on top by default

• the boomerang sound doesn't loop for the whole animation (plays once)

• when warping in pipes (or I guess anything) the player isn't cropped correctly (or at all) so the graphic is displayed on top of the block

• there's no "swirl" when using items

• The "loopy's dungeon map's warps are screwed :P
    • I don't understand the level editor well to test if it's the map or the engine, but the warps on "desert battle" can be accessed in the air adjacent to the pipes

• when you first start a map, you start with a mystery item? the bombs powerup in your reserve slot
    • collecting another item while you have one in reserve doesn't overwrite the old one
    • some items that should activate instantly have to be used (weapons)

• you can be killed with your own podobos and ice blocks

• there's no limit to the amount of magic beams any deployed items on screen

• you can't land on any tiles in the "toast" map -- nor is there fall acceleration implemented to kill you

• if you stand next to a  "carry spike" and jump, you will die (make sure to check momentum direction and not just x/y)

• you don't have to "double jump" for the P-wing; you can just hold [UP] from the ground, which is wrong implementation
    • rapidly tapping [UP] with the P-wing makes many layers of sound

• you can't walk through springs from the left (you bounce back), but they are passable from the right side
    • you can blow up the springs, too

• collecting the star powerup unnecessarily plays the mushroom upgrade sound

• I've had a powerup block release nothing once (feature?)

• "falling through" the right blocks doesn't work sometimes

• doing it on slopes can sometimes make you "bounce" on them

Opinions:

I don't know if I'll ever get used to these big maps and not being able to see your skin (untrue to retro resolutions)

Think the New Pork City map in Super Smash Brothers Brawl: "Oh hey cool map it's huge!" but do you need a big map? You can't see your player!
Just my opinion that I'm sure no one will ever care about.
Loopy Dungeon's warps being weird is because I didn't know which direction they should point at the time. I realized I had them backwards and fixed them...IN THE WRONG FREAKING FILE. :(

My own bugs/issues:

-Warping is very weird. If you put two warps going the same direction next to each other in SMWar, they're counted as one warp. Here, they're counted as...two seperate ones?
-ALL of the "summon" attack items kill you!
-Springs and Note Blocks do not send you very high at all
-Platforms are broken and cannot be landed on, at least in Starry Outpost.
-wetlands will not open and instead closes the game when trying to load it
-kuribo's shoe cannot be interacted with
-roto discs don't start the same number of angles from each other
-WAY too much eyecandy at higher percentages, please halve them!
-in the editor, when you decide to make a new map after loading an old one, all the eyecandy and tags settings remain the same as the previously-loaded map
-player is too fast. normal speed feels the same as what running speed should be
-having huge trouble picking up a springboard in larry's castle
-sometimes, I'm able to spam run and throw as many projectiles as I want, and at others, I can only fire 2/1, as I should. If you reach that point, though, picking up ice blocks makes them vanish. I'm guessing something I did cause sprites to get loaded, but they never got UNloaded, even if they were removed from the play area
-Game will not attempt to stop the player from spawning in an instant death area. castlevania 1-1 shows this off spectacularly, where I died checking if the water would kill me and the game kept placing me in it about 5 times in a row after that, ending with placing me ABOVE the water

I'll see if I can find anything else.

Offline JJames19119

• Good times
  • Server Manager
  • MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
  • Bowser Only, All Bombs, Dinal Festination
    • http://72dpiarmy.supersanctuary.net/
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 02:02:16 AM »
When moving with the cape (or tail), pressing CTRL (attacking/spinning) seems to lock your momentum so you can't change it while in this animation.

This is known.

The player can jump too high -- or higher than the old SMW. For reference you can jump from the lowest level all the way to the white block in 0smw.

This is being very nitpicky. We're not out to perfectly mimic the previous game down to the pixel, you know.

the debug window is made after the game window -- making it on top by default

Similarly nitpicky.

the boomerang sound doesn't loop for the whole animation (plays once)

This is known and not implemented yet.

when warping in pipes (or I guess anything) the player isn't cropped correctly (or at all) so the graphic is displayed on top of the block

there's no "swirl" when using items

when you first start a map, you start with a mystery item? the bombs powerup in your reserve slot

Not a bug.

collecting another item while you have one in reserve doesn't overwrite the old one

Not a bug.

some items that should activate instantly have to be used (weapons)

Not a bug.

you can be killed with your own podobos and ice blocks

This is known and not implemented yet. (the latter is actually not a bug either)

you don't have to "double jump" for the P-wing; you can just hold [UP] from the ground, which is wrong implementation
rapidly tapping [UP] with the P-wing makes many layers of sound

collecting the star powerup unnecessarily plays the mushroom upgrade sound

Not a bug.

I've had a powerup block release nothing once (feature?)

This is known.

"falling through" the right blocks doesn't work sometimes

This is known. (Collisionlogic isn't complete yet from what I hear)

Hats off to you Felix, hands down the best bug reporter on this forum. Remind me to give you a spiffy new forum title later to exemplify your hard working determination in making this program better.

-wetlands will not open and instead closes the game when trying to load it

None of the developers were able to reproduce this but I've heard it happens to other people as well. I'll have to look at it later.

Offline Ultra_Mario

• On the Bright Side: You came close to your record for damage healed as Medic
  • all dem bitches don't got no shit on me
    • please follow
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 03:06:33 AM »
Sorry if the Super Booman stuff seems a little bare bones but with the new TileFX feature, including most of the custom tiles would be a moot point as you can just recolor the tiles already in the game. I did include a few recolors though.

Right now, there are...
  • 16 backgrounds
  • A little tileset (mostly background tiles)
  • 4 Skins

I didn't know exactly what to include so I just picked out some of the cool stuff.
Oh yeah, all the stuff is backwards compatible with Super Mario War 1.8 Beta 2, so you can use this stuff there. Slight editing might be needed for Stomp Arena.
There's a credits.txt so you know who to appropriately give credit to.
If you've played Super Booman (or are Dude) and you think I missed something that would go perfect with this stuff, shoot me a PM.

download fastly

Offline MC Jimmy

• Global Moderator
  • Ain't Nothin' but a Hound Dawg
  • Pon de replay?
    • MC Productions
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 06:40:35 AM »
I found another odd thing, when I was on the bottom of 0smw with the bomb powerup, somehow I was able to make bombs fall from the sky if I tapped on shooting a bunch out at once. For some reason there is like a 2-3 tile warp some wheres in the process. It doesn't always happen, just sometimes. Try spamming it to test it.

Offline Jam

• Global Moderator
  • Too Much Free Time
  • strawberry
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 07:34:29 AM »
I do agree on the physics and think that those should mimic the older ones a bit more - or at least have noteblocks propel you higher than a regular jump. Though I think at this stage in development you might perceive it as nitpicky, the current physics just seem a bit all over the place in terms of heights in particular.

Anyway for MC Jimmy's glitch: I found I could make bombs explode near the top of the screen if I was at the bottom by releasing the bomb roughly around the second it exploded? Difficult to replicate though.

This is pretty cool though, looks like it's shaping up nicely. I'm really liking the TileFX thing and am gonna try making a map with it later today, was just trying it out in the editor a minute ago.

EDIT: The selection tool is nice and all but I can't seem to move anything around with it at all, and when i tried cutting I got loads of error messages in the debug console.

debug console
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 24
   at com.dmgame.leveleditor.LevelEditorScene.copySelection(LevelEditorScene.java:1586)
   at com.dmgame.leveleditor.LevelEditorScene.cutSelection(LevelEditorScene.java:1621)
   at com.dmgame.leveleditor.LevelEditorScene.access$1400(LevelEditorScene.java:24)
   at com.dmgame.leveleditor.LevelEditorScene$7.actionPerformed(LevelEditorScene.java:472)
   at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
   at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
   at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
   at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

EDIT2:

I selected a segment out of a row of tiles to recolour in particular (in order to create a sort of depth effect) and it ended up recolouring the entire horizontal row of it regardless.

EDIT3:
Trying to edit the tiles that got edited on the right of that screenshot using tileFX ended up killing the settings I had altogether, including tiles that were not selected.

EDIT4:
Trying to select 15 tiles across horizontally also doesn't want to work, seemingly.

EDIT5:
Will there be any support for ~16:9 resolutions? My laptop's resolution is 1366x768 and consequently in windowed mode, i can't see the bottom two rows of tiles on the screen, and in fullscreen mode it's stretched awkwardly.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 08:26:36 AM by Jam »

Offline MasterLederhosen

• Too Much Free Time
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 08:40:40 AM »
I've encountered a bit of a problem trying to run either of the two .jar files, I try to start them up with Java(TM) Platform SE binary but nothing happens, no window, not even an error.

What could be the cause of this? I'm pretty sure I have my java up to date.

Offline Kabukiguy

• Too Much Free Time
  • What a horrible night to have a curse....
    • http://gdkn.deviantart.com/
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 02:28:26 PM »
  • Tons of problems with warps.
  • item problems but I pretty much expected them
  • Map loading is weird, sometimes the map will lag horrendously, and next time i load it, runs perfectly fine.
  • No Spawn tiles don't seem to be taken into account. My maps use no spawn extensively and they all seem to be ignored when i actually run the maps.
  • Gaps of one space are skipped over when running across them. not sure if its intentional or not.
  • Not particularly a fan of items going behind interactive blocks when used/shot

Fist with a ring on it.

Offline JJames19119

• Good times
  • Server Manager
  • MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
  • Bowser Only, All Bombs, Dinal Festination
    • http://72dpiarmy.supersanctuary.net/
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 03:12:54 PM »
As a note; any bug involving there being too many bombs was fixed about a few minutes after release in the source code. I wasn't able to get in the code that limits the bomb spewing before the binary was compiled and pushed out.

Pretty sure too many bombs isn't actually related to the weird bomb warping though, in any case.

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
    • http://members.allegro.cc/felix-the-ghost/index.html
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 03:29:48 PM »
How was that implemented, code-wise? I'd like to see.
Bob if you're reading this please send me an email again -- we can try SVN on this other (superior) computer.