Author Topic: Super Mario War ported to Android devices  (Read 4812 times)

Offline lithium76

Super Mario War ported to Android devices
« on: September 26, 2011, 06:18:26 PM »
I wanted inform all of you that I have been working on porting SMW 1.8 over to Android and after a week I have things up and running.  Since SDL has now included Android support I was able to compile all the needed libraries for SMW on Android so the game runs natively on just about any Android device running Android 2.2 and up.

I have hosted all the code and files up on google code so you can checkout the code if you so desire.  If all you want to do is play, well then all you need to do is download the the latest .apk and install it on your device.  You can find the download on the left hand side of the main page under "Featured".

When you first run the game, it will go ahead and download the data files and extract them onto your SD card, once that is done, you can press the "Launch Game" button and start playing.  Since most devices are touch screen only, I have made on-screen controls for playing the game.  If you've played the game before, you should be familiar with the controls, if not, you can always press the "Instructions" button and view all there is to know about the game.

I'm currently working on a new control scheme and better multi-touch controls as well as converting changing the graphics code to use SDL 1.3 OpenGL rendering.  This should speed things up even more and allow for using alpha channels instead of color-keying.

Once things are running smoothly, which isn't too far away, I really want to get some sort of net play going.  I see there is some code started but I think with mobile devices, this is going to be a must to really make this enjoyable.

If you have an android phone or tablet, give this version a try and let me know what you think.  I'll always be receptive to constructive criticism.  Oh, and there is an issues tracker where you can post issues, which makes it easier to maintain and keep track of them.

I hope this can breath some new life into a game I had enjoyed back on my PSP when I first flashed CFW on it to play homebrew games like this one.

-L!TH!UM-
=8{ L!TH!UM }8=

Offline Smash and Crash.1

• Lots of Free Time
Re: Super Mario War ported to Android devices
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 04:56:29 PM »
I think someone else who has knowledge of programing for android (or the creator should come back and) should fix this up and upload it on google play or some website for android applications. It doesn't work on many phones (including mine), the creator hasn't made any changes for more than than 1 year with many problems, and android is starting to become more popular. I would love to play this on my Xperia Play, and this might be a chance for people to start getting back into this game. Sadly I can't since I don't know a thing about programing. :'( Hopefully someone will pick this up or the creator will come back to it.

Brawl FC: 5112 3187 4510
Tatsunoko vs Capcom FC: 1720 6487 6427

Offline neagix

• Gettin' Into the Swing of Things
  • New Now Know How
    • The Tales of NeaGix
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 06:15:33 PM »
Well, I think there should be a new port and that does not use SDL but faster EGL.

This is not that difficult

Offline Fr

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 10:59:59 AM »
I tried your port on an huawei and it is impossible to rescale the game : it freezes.
More : no possible to play the game is bigger than the phone window.
You need an update because all the player must see entirely the game not be cuted in 2 parts not completed of screens.
Thanks