Author Topic: 72 Arcade  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Night

• Too Much Free Time
72 Arcade
« on: July 09, 2011, 08:56:31 PM »
A project I've been working with on and off through the past year or so.

It's a trivia challenge game show that uses an interactive game board that I'm using RPG Maker to create.

Two teams of players try to make it to the bottom center of the map as they answer questions given by the Host.  At the start of their respective turns, each team spins a number 1 through 4 to see how many spaces they can move.  Spaces can be either easy, medium, or hard questions.  If the team answers their trivia question correctly, they get to stay where they are.  If they get it wrong, they have to go back to where they started at the beginning of the turn.  The goal is to get to the bottom-center of the map before the opposing team.

Some things to note are:

- Enemies will appear when a team lands on a question space
    - Enemies will most likely make you laugh
    - Traps will also be among the question spaces, stopping the team dead in their tracks
    - One person will act as a host, reading off questions and handling movement of characters

Sound interesting?  
If so, great!  Post about it.
If not, deal with it.  I love constructive criticism though.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 11:51:36 PM by Night_213 »

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
  • this title came sooner than the last
Re: 72 Arcade
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 10:20:18 PM »
Sounds interesting. What kinds of trivia questions will be in the game?

Offline Night

• Too Much Free Time
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 11:38:11 PM »
Quote from: "Big JM"
Sounds interesting. What kinds of trivia questions will be in the game?

Video game related ones

Offline MC Jimmy

• Global Moderator
  • Ain't Nothin' but a Hound Dawg
  • Pon de replay?
    • MC Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 12:27:21 AM »
You know what I can do to help.

Offline Mad_Monkey

• Lots of Free Time
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 10:40:24 AM »
Make things? as in we?
It\'s not the sound of war that scares me, it\'s the silence that follows.
Wisdom of the day!!
New siggy
...∧___∧....._
..(( ̄ー ̄)...__=
./|__...__\\_/../
|/__=__.._\\
....(...(^^)(^^)

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
    • http://members.allegro.cc/felix-the-ghost/index.html
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 07:49:25 PM »
This is interesting.

Offline furii

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 04:08:59 AM »
I don't like game show style games, and I don't like board game style games, but I can tell you that this is a pretty original concept.

Now, I'm going to ask a few questions to see how solid your idea about this game is, and give a little criticism here and there, if you don't mind.
  • Quote from: "Night_213"
    Enemies will appear when a team lands on a question space
    If enemies appear, how would combat be efficiently implemented in a genre like this? Plus, would there be enemy movement, like in the Super Mario Brothers 3 overworld? If not, would it just instantly jump into combat?
    Two teams of players try to make it to the bottom center of the map
    How many players per team? What does the map look like?
    Traps will also be among the question spaces, stopping the team dead in their tracks
    This just seems downright unfair. Nobody ever knows where the traps are, as there is no way to even predict it, and anybody unfortunate enough to come across that space gets a wake-up call they didn't even deserve. With all due respect, Night_213, there's enough random-based events in this game as is.
    One person will act as a host, reading off questions and handling movement of characters
    Couldn't the game be the host? Otherwise, there will always be required an uneven number of players, and if there isn't an odd number, there will be a loss of balance in the teams. I'm sure there would be a way to compensate for that, at least, if you don't take my word fully into consideration.
    Spaces can be either easy, medium, or hard questions.
    How in the world could you possibly rate the difficulty of a question? One person may know the answer, which instantly makes it possible (and "easy"), but another might not. There's no difficulty involved unless there is some sort of math or challenge.
[size=75]With code, you can either make it or break it, but you can always rinse and repeat if you don\'t like the outcome.

Some of my works] (this will fill up over time)

[/hr]
[marquee,left]| | |[/marquee]

[/hr]
[/size]

Offline Night

• Too Much Free Time
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 02:07:05 PM »
Quote from: "furii"
If enemies appear, how would combat be efficiently implemented in a genre like this? Plus, would there be enemy movement, like in the Super Mario Brothers 3 overworld? If not, would it just instantly jump into combat?
Think of how Earthbound handles battles.  It shows an enemy graphic from the front.  It'll say "Enemy appears!" or something similar and, depending on the answer the team gives for the question asked, the character representing the team either attacks the enemy or gets attacked.

How many players per team? What does the map look like?
However many players decide they want to play.  The map is going to be like a grid with the teams starting in the top-left and top-right corners.  The finish will be in the bottom-center.

This just seems downright unfair. Nobody ever knows where the traps are, as there is no way to even predict it, and anybody unfortunate enough to come across that space gets a wake-up call they didn't even deserve. With all due respect, Night_213, there's enough random-based events in this game as is.
It's not like they're going to be very common.  At all.  I've only got like 4 planned.

Couldn't the game be the host? Otherwise, there will always be required an uneven number of players, and if there isn't an odd number, there will be a loss of balance in the teams. I'm sure there would be a way to compensate for that, at least, if you don't take my word fully into consideration.
The game could be the host, but that would involve me making the questions multiple choice.  I'm not okay with that.  I can't really think of some way to compensate that, I'm sorry.

How in the world could you possibly rate the difficulty of a question? One person may know the answer, which instantly makes it possible (and "easy"), but another might not. There's no difficulty involved unless there is some sort of math or challenge.
Easy questions are going to either be ones players could get without even playing the game or just common sense.  Medium would likely require the player to have played to the game enough to know.  Hard would require the player to really know their stuff about the game.