Author Topic: So 72dpi.  (Read 14203 times)

Offline MC Jimmy

• Global Moderator
  • Ain't Nothin' but a Hound Dawg
  • Pon de replay?
    • MC Productions
Re: So 72dpi.
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 11:20:14 PM »
Quote from: "Big JM"
Are there any other ideas out there that can help us be more productive?
Not being lazy.

Offline JJames19119

• Good times
  • Server Manager
  • MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
  • Bowser Only, All Bombs, Dinal Festination
    • http://72dpiarmy.supersanctuary.net/
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 11:30:11 PM »
That's an inherent problem all of us have, me included. It's hard to fix though.

Must not be lazy. Must not be lazy. Must not be lazy...

Offline smwforever45

• Posts Somewhat Often
  • Back in action, woohoo!
    • My good old homepage!
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 12:24:47 PM »
Quote from: "MC Jimmy"
Quote from: "Big JM"
Are there any other ideas out there that can help us be more productive?
Not being lazy.
And concentrate on the projects we have and not get sidetracked with something else.

To the first post:

Quote from: "JJames19119"
I decided to make the announcement of Two52's stance on SMWar public because quite honestly leaving people in the dark like that isn't my style.
I agree with this. There just wasn't any new information on the progress of SMWar, and because it was a long time since the last release already, I got bored and quit playing SMWar. I always knew Florian's dead would have consequences on the game - but I didn't think it would turn out like that.

Due to SMWar's current status I've reorganized the boards a little. You'll notice B^3 is now much closer to the top of the page. This is because it's now the most relevant thing to this board.

Given the kind of discussion that goes on in there, that says a lot.
Yeah... the Blah Blah Blah section is like the only active section right now.

From what I know, the most active members here spend their time on skype more then anything else...
Well, I'm not one of those people... but I'm also not that active.

...and anyone not included in that group is left here in empty forums. Why? Because...what would you even do here?
Exactly why I left this forum for half a year. There was nothing interesting going on here (well, except the discussions in the B^3 forums), and I had no reason to stay here any longer anymore. The thing which animated me to come here again was the fact that I didn't look here for ages, and wanted to check if a new beta of SMWar was out already. But instead I saw the notice that the development obviously has been cancelled.

Where does this forum go now?
I think it'll go dead... like many other forums which lost interest. For example Central Reality/96dpi - that forum Roxas founded back in July 2009. It went dead in January 2010. The forum which was made as an alternative to that forum was going well at first, but then ended up in huge postcount wars which caused that forum to die in May 2010 as well. I failed at reviving it - although I had a little success as it was kind of alive again for about two months, from January to March 2nd, 2011.
I know many other examples for that, both English and German forums - and they all have one thing in common: People leave because they're busy, or don't have any reason for visiting the forums anymore.

Do we keep it as it is?
Big no!

Do we try to revive the projects inherent in it and reboot?
The only question at it is: Should we kill this old forum forever and replace this forum with a link to a new one? Or should the new boards just be an alternative to this one? Or make this the alternative forum and the new forum the main one? Or not make a new forum and instead do everything to revive this again? For example advertising at popular sites. Just - where to advertise so that as many people as possible click on the banner, link, whatever?

I don't want Flo's dream to fizzle out like this but I'm only one person.
I'm pretty sure you're not the only one with this... because I don't want his dream to end like that too.

Maybe I'm just sitting here rambling to myself in this thread, but even if one single person looks at this thread and gives it any sort of serious thought, then I have achieved my goal with this thread. Even if nobody replies.
I think you achieved your goal, looking at all the replies and approvals in this topic.

I'll for sure keep an eye on this topic, I think it will be important for the future of 72dpi and how it will look like.
My SMWar supermarket, check it out! (don't bother looking... the links are dead and so is the supermarket, I'm just keeping this here for archiving purposes)

Offline JJames19119

• Good times
  • Server Manager
  • MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
  • Bowser Only, All Bombs, Dinal Festination
    • http://72dpiarmy.supersanctuary.net/
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 10:30:04 PM »
New boards. New direction. New hope.

Let's try to make this the center of a community's creative exploits, a community that will hopefully get bigger and bigger once something happens.

Offline MasterLederhosen

• Too Much Free Time
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 11:14:57 PM »
72dpiarmy is where I met my best bros. I'll do whatever I can to spark some activity.

As for projects, we should start small. This way we'll learn how to cooperate with eachother better and whatnot.

Offline Madosuki

• Lots of Free Time
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 12:23:00 AM »
I appear to be a tad bit late, though i doubt it matter's either way.

As  fan of SMWar, ocassanal poster,and lazy spriter/mapper who i doubt any one knows,I think as it has been stated this place could come back if we were to not be lazy.

I realize i have no right to talk but once all of the hard-workers left we sort of died.

I would hate for this place to go, but i also relize paying for a forum full of few people doesn't fit well into one's budget.

All-in-all I feel it's safe to say SMWar is dead, but i beleave we could pump out something amazing if we (well not me i guess i dont think i could help much) worked hard on MM72.

Anywho there's my two cents for anyone who reads this rather than skip over it.
Oh, come, lovely child! Come thou with me! For many a game I will play there with thee.

Offline MSX

• Posts Somewhat Often
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 11:03:15 AM »
MM72 is not dead. Infact, everything is going very smooth and nice at the moment.
The reason why I stopped posting on this site is that it felt useless. Nobody was replying to our work anymore, maybe once a month.
People just don't seem to understand what a "community" is. Eventhough if you are a part of MM72 or not, you can still leave comments about how it's going, feedback on what we show you, mockup screens, enemies and more.

We here at the MM72-Team are not exactly "hyped" about posting updates on 72dpi anymore.
We will do that however, if people start showing some interest.
MM72 is probably one of our few hopes to revive this forum.

Join us, contribute, do something!
Don't you know how to sprite? Learn! If the members who are left all together atleast contribute abit to this project, it will get boosted.
Now, am I right or wrong?

viewforum.php?f=57

^^
Click here to contribute!
Crouching Tiger Hidden Spaghetti.

Offline Crust20

• My steam profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 03:04:29 AM »
I dont know if this will help but its entirly up to you but why not mention this forum or SMW on sites like xfire or steam they have millions of users who im postive will check out SMW and the forums  :mrgreen:

Offline eeliottheking

• MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
    • http://DIGDUG.DIGDUG
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2011, 01:47:16 AM »
Hello all. :p

I miss this place. It used to be a nice escape for me during a rather hard time of my life to be honest and now that I've more or less grown up I've lost track/haven't had time to come back. It was lost to me and simply a memory. Looking back I had some really awesome times with some of the people I met here and it's really sad to see something I used to check several times a day go to such a dark place. It makes me sad. Id be more than willing to do anything I can to help keep this place from falling apart. I miss the community here.

I joined back In 2006 and for the 3 years it would become a large component of my life. I'd spend hours daily on skype chat with people I'd never met in person discussing ideas, pulling pranks, and playing a crazy amount of video games. All of which started with an awkward conversation on Xfire between me and Night_213. I miss all of the fun we used to have guys. it's a shame it all had to disappear on us so fast.

I will remember this community for the rest of my life. The good, the bad, the secrets (you sneaky bastard jimmy), and everything else. Thanks for touching the weird kid who had very little friends' life, and I wish you all the same luck and happiness that I wish florian could have had.

Sincerely,
Eliot Sommers
Hi

Offline MSX

• Posts Somewhat Often
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 09:19:26 AM »
What WE could do is advertise it somehow.
A great start for this community would be the Megaman72 project going on which could potentially save the forums.
I don't know if you guys aren't up to anything, you could just show support by posting in the MM72 section.

I mean, it would be great.
Crouching Tiger Hidden Spaghetti.

Offline Razorife

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 06:32:44 PM »
I still play SMW every once and a while, it's still good fun and I also have it on my Wii, the little kids also think it is a very fun game. Only wish it had gamecube controller support. Sad to see this forum die.

Some suggestions to rejuvenate the forum:
There are many improvements that could be made to spark some new life into it, scrolling levels, custom tiles that you can make without making a whole new tileset and changing the tileset to use it, simply add new tiles to the list of usable ones, object/powerup editor, custom tile effects, ect. Of course, these are small improvements, an entire new rewritten version could also help.
Or you could make Mario mods for other games, like Unreal, Total War, ect.

SMW MMO?

Of course you could also make an entirely original game non-Mario related be it an action, FPS, or RTS game. Just be creative.

Offline Jared

• Administrator
  • Quite Some Free Time
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 02:56:01 AM »
Man... I've been away for so long.

The forum has gone to seed and I feel like I don't know most of anyone here anymore.

I feel like I have to blame myself for this - I took on too much, got burned out, and then when Flo died I just didn't want to come back.

On the other hand, I know Two52 wants to get back into it, or at least he did a few months ago.  He bought http://www.supermariowar.com, although at the moment it just links to a site that doesn't exist.  I haven't heard from him since, although he was nice enough to send me a copy of a card game he and some friends self-published, in case you were wondering what else he was doing.

I've still got too much on my plate.  I've been unemployed and looking for work, my grandfather is dying of ALS, I have a game that I got for free in exchange for rewriting the English translation that I haven't actually worked with in months, I got a Kickstarter project accepted back in June but I haven't actually set it up yet, I've got about eighty bazillion unfinished games to play, I've got a puzzle subscription at http://www.nikoli.com which also has a big backlog... and since I got involved in the SMW project I've gone through two other computers so I don't even have everything in one place anymore.  And oh yeah, I'm super stressed out because I haven't been able to find my DSi for months and the Four Swords download will be going away soon.

I miss the old days.  :(

Offline MrMister

• Forum Moderator
  • Is probably Booman
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 03:43:30 AM »
I will always remember 72dpiarmy as my first real forum/foray into the world of the internet, but as time went on, bigger and better things emerged. Hell I'm surprised I still receive emails about topic posts.

At the moment I'm just chilling at home, I started visiting 72dpi when I was around 16 and now I'm 20, have an okay job, and I'm preparing to move out of my parents house this year, currently passing the time playing DotA games and living. I still want to be nerd famous someday.

Offline Kirchu23

• Kinda Regular
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 09:28:15 PM »
Wow... I lose my internet for a year and this happens? I can't believe what's happening...
Oh, I`m supposed to put something here? Waffles.=3
Ironic, Pink Bean seems similar to her.
R.I.P. Florian Hufsky
1986~2009 You will obviously be missed....

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
  • this title came sooner than the last
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 11:09:50 PM »
Quote from: "Kirchu23"
Wow... I lose my internet for a year and this happens? I can't believe what's happening...
Well, here's the thing: We ain't dead yet. The community may be small, be we've got several projects worth watching out for. For example, the SMWar remake/ reboot is still shaping up nicely, and Mega Man 72 is still being worked on (I don't know its progress, though). There's also a little bit of discussion going on. We may be a small community right now, but there are some big things coming soon.

Also, this announcement's been here a while, I wonder if it should stay up or not...