Author Topic: So 72dpi.  (Read 14039 times)

Offline JJames19119

• Good times
  • Server Manager
  • MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
  • Bowser Only, All Bombs, Dinal Festination
    • http://72dpiarmy.supersanctuary.net/
So 72dpi.
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:18:22 PM »
This forum. It is a forum.

What about it? I dunno. You tell me.

I decided to make the announcement of Two52's stance on SMWar public because quite honestly leaving people in the dark like that isn't my style. I don't know what he has planned but it's obviously not much so I don't think he minds too much. If he does, my apologies in advance. But there's something else bothering me now.

Due to SMWar's current status I've reorganized the boards a little. You'll notice B^3 is now much closer to the top of the page. This is because it's now the most relevant thing to this board.

Given the kind of discussion that goes on in there, that says a lot.

I only took this forum up as my own sometime after Florian died, where things were already starting to wane a bit. After his unfortunate death, things just took a sharp nosedive from there. The forum lost direction, SMWar lost interest, the community lost touch with each other, for the most part. From what I know, the most active members here spend their time on skype more then anything else and anyone not included in that group is left here in empty forums. Why? Because...what would you even do here?

So that's why I'm saying, you tell me. Where does this forum go now? Do we keep it as it is? Left to slowly die out until I get fed up with it's bandiwidth costs because some jerk thought it would be funny to send 500+ spambots to us daily? Do we try to revive the projects inherent in it and reboot? Or do we simply make it about something else? I don't want Flo's dream to fizzle out like this but I'm only one person.

I don't expect many replies to this thread. I know a large majority of the community hates me, and I'm prepared to take the brunt of that hatred together with the rest of the boards. Maybe I'm just sitting here rambling to myself in this thread, but even if one single person looks at this thread and gives it any sort of serious thought, then I have achieved my goal with this thread. Even if nobody replies.

If people are content on letting this board die then I'll let it be and simply take my leave now. Thanks for all the good times you've shown me, 72. I can't say you didn't change my life.

~JJ

Offline Blasted Landmark

• Almost Regular
  • Out of the frying pan
Re: So 72dpi.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 12:21:48 AM »
Well, that is very sad really. I remember the forum being a little more lively back in 2007-2008.
I was a guest back then and I didn't registered because I felt quite nervous about it. I even remember a guy who said he was going to hack the forum with cheat engine.
I entered here years later for some advice in spriting and skins. Poor 72dpi. Now I understand why +54 people register here to post nothing.

I don't know if the forum can still be afloat. With only bots being online...

Offline Link901

• Global Moderator
  • Too Much Free Time
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 04:13:27 AM »
I'm not sure what to say, JJ. Do you really think we could bring this forum back to life? Honestly, I'd be willing to try if there's a chance that it'll happen. Lately, I haven't been around here except checking things out as a guest once in a while. It'd be nice to change that.
Tellya what, I'll try and help. I'll dig through my old backup cds and whatnot. I'll grab what I can find from my old New Super Mario War, SMWar 8-Bit, and the MegaMan War projects. It's a bit of a stretch, but maybe it'll jumpstart a little bit of activity around here.
As for the MegaMan 72 project, I'm not sure where it's going right now. I practically dropped from the project after my lapse in internet connection and GGuy/MSX pretty much took over in my absence, but I rejoined once MSX told me he'd found someone to work on the engine. Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything from any of them in a while, so I don't know if things died down again or what.
I'd say a revamp of the forum might spark some new interest, but it'd be smart to back up what we can beforehand. For example, if your filehosting site is still working, I'd back all that up to make sure none of it gets lost, if that's even an issue.
So uh, yeah. Done rambling like the old fart I am. You've got my support, JJ.

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
  • this title came sooner than the last
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 11:43:08 AM »
I can't help but to feel responsible for the fall that MM72 had back a couple of months ago.

However, it is entirely possible to bring the 72dpiarmy back out of this rut we are in, but it will take more than a few fangames to do so (although those won't hurt). I have a feeling that we are going to need to do something original in order to attract people here, and I know that we have the talent available to do so. Minecraft came out of nowhere, and that started as one man working on his game. I'm sure we can do at least half as good as Notch with the people we have around.

If we do take on a big project, there will have to be a huge support system, because it is way to easy to project members to forget about what they are doing and harm the team in doing so (I am a good example of this). We would need people to cheer us on, so to speak, so that we can succeed at finishing the project.

In the end, it'll be about motivation. If we cannot be motivated to alter the direction of this forum, then it'll die the slow death that it is already happening.

Offline Link901

• Global Moderator
  • Too Much Free Time
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
Nah, JM, you had no more part in MM72's dead-time than anyone else. The rest of us slowed down really badly with spriting, too. Jim was probably the most productive one out of all of us, since he had most of the music finished before we'd even really gotten anywhere spriting. Also, an idea for the forum, it'd be a good idea to expand the Super Mario War section and turn it into a full gaming section, accommodating for other games such as minecraft, various steam games, etc., to appeal to the varying gaming interests of 72's user base. In turn, we could potentially expand the Fanmade Content section to include player-made additions for the array of games we play. There's plenty of potential to bring this forum back and get things running full steam ahead once again, we've just gotta grab the bull by the horns.

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 12:06:22 PM »
Quote from: "Link901"
Also, an idea for the forum, it'd be a good idea to expand the Super Mario War section and turn it into a full gaming section, accommodating for other games such as minecraft, various steam games, etc., to appeal to the varying gaming interests of 72's user base. In turn, we could potentially expand the Fanmade Content section to include player-made additions for the array of games we play. There's plenty of potential to bring this forum back and get things running full steam ahead once again, we've just gotta grab the bull by the horns.

I like this idea. The essence of Super Mario War, as I see it, was the ability of the fans to make their own stuff to add onto an already good game. Expanding both the Fanmade Content forum and the Super Mario War forum to include other games would be a good logical step in helping bring more people here.

Would a programmer's section of the forum be a good idea too? The section would include forums for tutorials, help, bits of code, general discussion, etc. I have some stuff I did in Java that I could post, and if other people join in, hopefully it will help 72dpi grow again.

Offline Link901

• Global Moderator
  • Too Much Free Time
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 12:23:25 PM »
That'd be great to see. I'm not very familiar with coding languages at all, so maybe I'll be able to learn something useful through that. If I could learn enough SVN to do anything with SMWar, I'd put effort into trying things out here and there with adding new stuff. Right now though, it's like I'm looking at hieroglyphs. I can't make sense of any of it.

Offline JJames19119

• Good times
  • Server Manager
  • MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 08:16:18 PM »
The major downfall of the community is the inherent laziness/time constraints of multiple people. MM72 is a good example. The community just doesn't have the time or power to really do any big project like SMWar was.

Minecraft did come from one person but that one person was very, very good at what he did. No, it wasn't coding, it was being persistent. Anyone who saw him respond to threats knows this well enough.

I wish I could say I have the same drive, but I've been starting projects only to drop them soon afterward. I still have that one game idea sitting in the back of my HDD but I recently bought a VPS for use as a private server that I'm coding. For what? I'd really rather not say; I have a bad enough reputation here as it is.

I like the idea of expanding fanmade content into it's own section. I'll keep the current board where it is but made a new category for other user created content. Gimme ideas and I'll start throwing them up.

The "programmer's corner" could be a part of that category as a creation discussion board, I just don't wanna throw too many boards at this poor forum at once yet.

Offline Blasted Landmark

• Almost Regular
  • Out of the frying pan
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 11:54:11 PM »
Mmm, the programmer's corner can attract a reasonable number of people, combined with their knowledge they can probably revive the forum.
However, I feel it can also probably produce a considerable setback.

What kind of game would probably attract people here? A story mode version of Super Mario War? (I imagined Super Mario bros 3 combined with SMWar) A game similar to Contra? Do we need the use of an ad to bring everyone here?

72dpi resembles Valve in some way. What could be done to prevent this from happening in the future?

Offline MrMister

• Forum Moderator
  • Is probably Booman
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 04:45:20 PM »
I'll miss you 72dpiarmy, my first forum, you were good to me.

Offline Open

• More Common Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 08:52:30 PM »
To join the many above, the fact the forum is now next to dead is pretty sad. Then again, this wasn't a busy forum to begin with. When I read this (because I do occasionally pop by) it made me think. As far as I know, the forum was driven by an independent project, Super Mario War. To recap, the game was a public project that needed a place with community. My 2 cents are this:
Why not expand the project section of the forum. If things go well, this could be a general discussion board for misc. projects, whether game mods, maps or new games (like SMW and MM72). However, this would require projects, let alone active projects. I'm sure there are projects out there that could use a forum, but they don't want to/can't own a forum of their own.
Another issue is that this board isn't really active. The way I see it is that there isn't much incentive to come here. I have no idea on how to fix this, but one might say this place requires a bit more community interaction. Again, I have no ideas for this.

PS:
Quote from: "MrMister"
I'll miss you 72dpiarmy, my first forum, you were good to me.
PPS: I think we could use a new catch phrase instead of "we talk abut stuff", or at the very lest fix the grammar.
Dated 72dpiarmy projects] SMWLE (SMW Landmine Edition)
No current projects here... yet.
Free to do graphics/map requests for anyone, just PM me.

Offline Luigi

• Almost Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 12:09:49 PM »
As one of the people who never posted outside SMW sections (eh, I doubt any of you even recognise me), I have to agree that SMW is what kept the forums alive. I stopped coming here months ago, because SMW got boring and now when I see that it will never be updated, I don't think I'll ever play it again. Right now I am here, because I stumbled upon some info about Mega Man 72 and I kept checking for updates. Apparently the project is alive again, but the last post in MM72 section is from 11th of February. Even if you're still working on it, you should definitely tell people about it. How can they discuss it if they don't know what's going on?

I'm probably not going to post much anyway, but yeah, sections for more games that would interest people is a fine idea. Even better idea is making your own game, but as some people mentioned, you guys lack motivation. That's likely because if you fail, there is no one to slap you for it. And you're not gaining anything from it. I would love to see MM72 finished, but I think making a totally independent game that brings you $$$ AND attracts people to the forums is a better idea. From looking at MM72 I already know you could come up with some great ideas for games. Once such game gets popular, forums will too, as long as the developers are here to communicate with players, constantly fix bugs, update the game. In other words, show that they actually care

Ya know, on a second thought, I may actually try to be more active here. You all seem to love this site, but I never found anything special about it. Reason being, I never even tried to go beyond SMW sections. I'll give it a shot.

Offline RAP

• Gettin' Into the Swing of Things
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 01:20:24 AM »
As a fan of the fangame Super Mario War (which I still occasionally play), I felt a bit sad to hear Florian died, he's the guy who revived the Super Mario War game and contributed it in a way of people feeling like "Wow! I wanna contribute and have fun being in the community". I didn't contribute very much with the exceptions of throwing out suggestions when I first came here, and later reported several bugs when I played the latest iteration of the game, which is version 1.8 Beta 2. I stopped coming here partially because of the slow updates of the game, and that I'm focusing on more necessary things such as my life, school, art, and that I'm involved with NIWA (Nintendo Independent Wiki Alliance).

As Two52 said in another topic, "Florian's vision of 72dpiarmy was a thriving community of creators and collection of free community driven projects." Reading that sentence, I say go for that direction. Keep the pacing up, that's the most critical part of keeping a community going. Maybe I'll come back once more and try something simple, and new - but no promises.

Who knows what the future of the forums will hold?

Offline JJames19119

• Good times
  • Server Manager
  • MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 08:15:14 AM »
Florian was the ultimate start of all this nonsense, 72, SMWar and the vision in whole, and it'd really be in my interests to do something community wide driven by the will to pay a tribute to the man. Most fitting would be an extensive upgrade of SMWar in the same vein that he made it a tribute to Mario War and Mr. Poletto but I really can't think of anything that would really be much of a significant upgrade barring going 3D or at least 2.5D...in other words, that idea is probably out of our reach.

I think Florian's dream of what he wanted 72dpiarmy to be is definitely something I would support, even dream of myself, so let's start with that. Of course, we got plenty of talented creators but as for the second half...

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 09:23:23 PM »
I think that it would be good to have a detailed plan for any big project we do. This way, we can keep track of progress easily, so that we don't fall behind and stall stall progress.

Of course, that is just one solution. Are there any other ideas out there that can help us be more productive?