Author Topic: A new platformer I'm working on  (Read 4898 times)

Offline JJames19119

• Good times
  • Server Manager
  • MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
  • Bowser Only, All Bombs, Dinal Festination
    • http://72dpiarmy.supersanctuary.net/
A new platformer I'm working on
« on: March 02, 2010, 06:29:17 PM »
The whole basic concept basically revolves around a completely customizable character in a platforming game that's simple yet diverse and massive. The character you'd play as would basically be this small 16x16 humanoid character with a vastly customizable appearance. You could give them several different hair styles, headgear, faces, top, bottoms, even down to shoes and gloves if I can fit it on to them. (though I have absolutely no qualms about increasing the sprite size to something like 24x24)

Apart from appearance, you can also totally customize their abilities too. Your character would have several different "stats" that you can pour points into as you get further into the game. Different stats do different things, like allowing you to jump higher, allowing you to stay afloat in the air longer, allowing you to do more damage when you stomp an enemy, and much more. You can even give your character unique abilities like a double or even triple jump, a butt-stomp or a charge attack. I have plentiful ideas for all these so the user avatar is rather important to the game.

You can afford all these by getting high scores in levels, which includes grabbing coins, chain stomping enemies, finishing the level in a fast enough time, etc. Only the highest score you've attained in the level counts towards your wallet so you can't mindlessly grind the same level to get more money and etc. Stats and Abilities would be bought with money via "Stat/Skill Points" which, once bought, you can redistribute as you see fit before going into a level so if, say, you go into a level where a double jump feature is very handy, but you got a charge attack first, you can go back and switch it before going into the level.

Each world is represented by "xxx" with a number replacing some of the x's. Each world consists of three levels. Completing all three levels of a world grants you access to both worlds to the immediate top right and bottom right of it. You are able to select levels at your leisure.

Code: [Select]
                     x29
                  x22
               x16   x30
            x11   x23
         x7x   x17   x31
      x4x   x12   x24
   x2x   x8x   x18   x32
x1x   x5x   x13   x25
   x3x   x9x   x19   x33
      x6x   x14   x26
         x10   x20   x34
            x15   x27
               x21   x35
                  x28
                     x36

The world themes:
1.  Grass

2.  Mountain
3.  Caverns

4.  Tower
5.  Castle
6.  Pipes

7.  Clouds
8.  Volcano
9.  Mines
10. Beach

11. Airship
12. Snow
13. Factory
14. Islands
15. Ocean

16. Rocket
17. Bridge
18. Rooftops
19. Treetops
20. Jungle
21. Underwater

22. (Space) Station
23. (Sky) Garden
24. Shrine
25. Woods
26. Ruins
27. Labyrinthe
28. Core

29. Moon
30. Cyber
31. Blimp
32. Waterfall
33. River
34. Desert
35. Tomb
36. Abyss

I'm getting the basic engine done right now as we speak.Hopefully this will be a project I can actually say I'm proud of.

Offline Killcrony

• More Common Poster
Re: A new platformer I'm working on
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 10:02:28 AM »
[s:30nehjts](gee relevant necro - posting is fun! this is relevant right? *prays for no mod wrath* )[/s:30nehjts]

So I get it, if Outrun was a platformer, and also this>http://http://www.kongregate.com/games/Titch/level-up.  Now that's a great concept, but I'm wondering about like baddies and stuff. What kind of baddies will there be? Another good draw you can have is special abilities unique to some characters but not others. I really hope you get to this project.. I think it'll be fun :)

EDIT: also i'm seeing sonic references in the levels so do you think speed will be a factor? *Prays for it*

EDIT take two: I just realized that this isn't a necropost... now I FEEL like my avatar... lol
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:30:14 AM by Killcrony »

Quote from: \"Felix-The-Ghost\"
Quote from: \"Psuedo\"
First Person Shooters. I\'ve pretty much figured out everything I need to know to make one, but the difficult part is making it stand out.
Make a  superb tea-bagging system. That\'s what I look for. Like Assault Cube.

Leader of the Megaman72 Support Group! Post a

Offline MasterLederhosen

• Too Much Free Time
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 02:18:49 PM »
Sounds like Cocoron, man that game was awesome.

I'm looking forward to this.

Quote from: "Killcrony"
also i'm seeing sonic references in the levels so do you think speed will be a factor? *Prays for it*
>press right to win
no thanks I'd rather have my fat Italian plubmer instead

Offline JJames19119

• Good times
  • Server Manager
  • MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 06:49:20 PM »
I actually haven't come up with basic designs for enemies yet. I'm thinking that there will basically be a standard set of enemies that change their look depending on what world you're in. That way, they'll always look unique without imposing a thick feeling of gimmickiness. (if that's even a word) As for the enemies themselves, let's just say that there will be the usual suspects and then there will be some...surprises.

Level progression is supposed to be non-arbitrary. When you start the game you're presented with a game that only has one level open. You complete it, you open the next one, until you complete the third level in the first world. Both worlds to the right of it open up. After any level, you're free to start any others, completed or not, as long as it's unlocked. Unlocking a level requires beating the level to the left of it and completing the third level of any world unlocks the two worlds to the immediate right of it. So if you completed world 18, you'd unlock worlds 24 and 25 as a result. After this, you're free to play, say, one or two levels of world 15 to get some cash and prepare for the next worlds.

At the moment, there's 9 stats. Speed, Acceleration, Traction, Weight, Jump, Reach, Health, Attack and Defense. I'm considering dropping Defense though as it's rather redundant since you can upgrade your health anyways. Anyways, speed, acceleration and traction are the three stats for running, weight (which controls the speed of your fall), jump and reach (which controls how much higher you can jump by holding the jump button), are the three stats for jumping, and health, attack and defense are the three stats for battling. Until you buy the proper abilities, your only method of attacking is stomping on anything that's vulnerable to it. Various abilities bought from the shop will allow you to attack in other ways, like shoulder charging or shooting at the enemies.

I'm still in middle of planning phases for most of this game despite already working through the base engine, so suggestions are pretty welcome.

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
    • http://members.allegro.cc/felix-the-ghost/index.html
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 10:39:31 PM »
Sounds like a very good idea, like Mario with achievements.
I like how games are getting better as far as 'extras' and replay value.

The redistribution of points before each level the way you described is unappealing to me.
It'd be much more appealing to me to buy via those points 'cards/tokens/badges/misc accessories' that can be equipped to act like 'perks' in Call of Duty, raising your stats that way.
Redistribution would be funner that way, choosing cards/items you have in your 'collection' already, and building it up on the way. (Plus you can get very creative with such cards/items)

I like game development, and would be willing to help if you'd like. I assure you I'd be an asset before a burden -- actually I was thinking of posting miscellaneous works of mine in the Projects section, since it needs more attention. (As my projects.)

Some of those stats seem too connected to the other stats...(ie weight with attack, speed, acceleration) Perhaps you can simplify it more? (The Mario RPG's had simpler stats, IIRC) You could still keep some stats existing, but not shown to the user, and still upgradable through certain means.

Offline JJames19119

• Good times
  • Server Manager
  • MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 05:00:12 AM »
Weight is more or less just how deep the effect of gravity will have on you. When you upgrade it, you get lighter; this does not effect your attack or speed at all. In fact, I want to keep attack separate since it's possible to have multiple forms of attack. (stomping might incur 3*atk damage, charging might incur 2~5*atk damage, depending on the type, shooting would be something like 0.25*atk and so forth) Although, I can still agree that it might not be totally necessary either way. I can still drop it of course, the less stats, the simpler the game is and the easier it is to get into it. This is the reason why I've considered dropping traction and defense too, in fact, if I dropped all three, I could retain the balance between the three key aspects of the game. (running, jumping, battling)

While redistributing stats via "items" has a lot of perks behind it, it loses a lot of the freedom you have over the character, which is the primary focus of the game. Complete customization is the main goal, I want there to be incentive for you to have multiple characters. One could have their stats and abilities focusing more on dealing as much damage as possible in the shortest amount of time, and another would be highly athletic and acrobatic. The way I intend on designing the game is that even going through the game and getting everything possible, your character would never be perfect; they will always have stats that are left unfulfilled and therefore, creates the need to consider how to balance your stats. One build will inevitably work better in one level then it would in another, and this will create uniqueness among characters. You would be able to save different characters into files and load them at will anytime you're outside a level.

You're always able to redistribute points at your leisure to fit your character to any level you want and make a build that works for you in every level. Of course, this can make the game too easy sometimes, but part of the fun in the game can come from imposing your own challenges by say, making a certain build character and trying to go through each world on that build. Think of it as the choice Nintendo recently made to include "skip" functions to their newer games, it's lame, I know, but the general idea is that while you can make things easier on yourself, you don't necessarily have to. Self challenges will stretch out the life and longevity of a game and I always used to do this for many of the games I used to play a long time ago. (Creating my own "tournaments" on Smash Bros was a thing I'm totally guilty of) Of course, character saves will include the clothing/accessories attached to that build too, so you can really go nuts and make a plethora of your own characters that each play the game in their unique way, much like Mega Man Powered Up.

Normally I would be more then happy to accept help but just this once I'm making an exception, because this is the last application I intend on ever seriously doing in a little program called Multimedia Fusion 2. While yes, this breaks compatibility with other OSes, the intention is for me to produce something quickly and easily, and yet still being proud of it. I'm putting forth a lot of effort into this but at the same time, I don't want it to take too long because I have a large amount of backlogged projects I need to finish before I do something seriously massive. I have a future platforming game I wanted to make in C++, that I intend on starting once I've gotten past the majority of my other projects. This doesn't mean I'm intent on keeping the source to myself, it'll gladly be open. But I want to work on the engine on my own. I believe it'll be easier, faster and more personal for me this way.

Now, graphics and music...that I could totally use some help on. I'm poor in the field of graphics and my composer skills are nil. I have a commission set up for someone to draw the base sprites for the main character as of this moment, so I don't need anyone else doing that, though add ons like the clothing and accessories that a player would put on them is something I'd like to have help on. Equally, I have no real designs for backgrounds, level tiles, or enemies as of this moment, graphically. Although I did do two animations for coins which I rather like. I also have absolutely no music and/or sounds but I intended on worrying about that when the time came. Level design is something I wanted to do myself too but if the need arises, I would happily accept help on that part too.

Wow I think I just spent an hour typing this...

Offline MC Jimmy

• Global Moderator
  • Ain't Nothin' but a Hound Dawg
  • Pon de replay?
    • MC Productions
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 07:33:53 AM »
I'm always here if you need help with music, but maybe someone else wants to offer help, I just don't want to steal all the music for projects if someone else wants to take a jab at it, I just offer so I have things to do. I've had experience doing themed songs, 72rpg, and MM72 I guess as well. If you want to hear some of those songs from the rpg I can provide a link to it for you. I also have songs up on my website too.

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 10:37:27 AM »
For sounds and music, or you going for a retro feel, or a revamped new feel?
If you go retro I can help a lot though. (Chip music/sounds is what I mean by 'retro')

If you are intent on making the points directly redistributable, please keep them at low values. (I don't want to convert 500 Health to 500 Attack) I think it'd be good to use values 1-9 for these.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:39:50 AM by Felix-The-Ghost »

Offline Killcrony

• More Common Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 10:38:04 AM »
Although I did do two animations for coins which I rather like.

very cool... also, story, though it could be completely nonsensical and random... in fact why don't we let the forum make the story? the funnier the better?

"one fine day for no good reason some humans decided to build a nuclear power plant and immediately tore it down..."

I need some help here...

Quote from: \"Felix-The-Ghost\"
Quote from: \"Psuedo\"
First Person Shooters. I\'ve pretty much figured out everything I need to know to make one, but the difficult part is making it stand out.
Make a  superb tea-bagging system. That\'s what I look for. Like Assault Cube.

Leader of the Megaman72 Support Group! Post a

Offline JJames19119

• Good times
  • Server Manager
  • MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 05:33:47 PM »
The max stat values I intend on capping at 30. I've been doing a lot of testing to see what the perfect cap would be and that feels like the most comfortable option, though I might have to reconsider the caps if I drop a few stats. (no weight stat means the jumping wouldn't be as good capped if weight were capped too)

As for the music, I'm definitely thinking the retro feel would fit this game better considering the low resolution the graphics are in. (16x16 is still SNES power though!) I'm thinking somewhere in between the 8-bit and 16-bit generations as far as style goes? It's a bit hard to explain, something that sounds like it came out of an early Genesis game is probably the most accurate description.

MC, I would be more then happy to get some of your incredible music talent into the game. Barring the hilarious amount of worlds I'd like to each have their own unique song (lol 36 songs), I've been following your work ever since 72RPG and I've enjoyed all of it. If you ever feel the need to compose some m4d b34tz once I start getting this off the ground, please go right ahead.

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 06:53:53 PM »
So you mean the 'lower quality' but still sounds sounds good kind of music. Maybe like some of the GBA/SNES music?

It'd be nice to have something to look at before I blindly make sounds and music in a mismatched style. (I make sounds, too just never bothered posting anything)

Offline MC Jimmy

• Global Moderator
  • Ain't Nothin' but a Hound Dawg
  • Pon de replay?
    • MC Productions
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 07:24:27 PM »
Anything sounding like this would be fine?
[youtube:25uq2jq4]3LaDn78JoNQ[/youtube:25uq2jq4]

Offline Jester Frog

• Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 07:33:52 PM »
So, uh, are the third stages of each world gonna have bosses or are the levels all just straight up time attack run-throughs? Just wondering, cause I'd love to help on boss designs or ideas, or heck even enemy design if you wanted (and there isn't bosses), and bosses are usually my favorite parts of games for some reason.

Also, what might be kind of cool would be to have the two levels after one level have some sort of nod to the previous level at the beginning to add a bit of a feel of connectivity to it? Like, maybe after the Airship (11) you could have the airship docked (or crashed) in the background of the 1st Rocket (16) and Bridge (17) levels? Of course this might be kind of complicated due to the multiple ways of getting to one level but I just thought it'd be a cool idea as some of the paths already seem like natural progressions (Airship, Rocket, Space Station and Beach, Ocean, Underwater to name a couple) and it wouldn't be too hard to work in a patch of snow and a crashed airship, right? Anyway, just my two bits. Sounds like a really cool idea and I wish you and everyone else that ends up getting involved luck.

Offline JJames19119

• Good times
  • Server Manager
  • MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 10:27:33 PM »
MC has the right idea on the music style I'm looking for.

I was thinking there would be bosses at select worlds depending on far in you got, my first intention there being bosses on the third level of worlds 4, 5, 6, 11, 13, 15, 29, 30, 35 and 36. I haven't come up with any boss designs yet but I've made out general plans for how I'm going to handle enemies. Basically across the whole game there will be general enemy types you will see in every world, but they will change their look depending on which world you're in. For instance, floor crawlers might look like caterpillars in the woods world but look like mechanized floor sweepers in the factory world. They'll all share traits with one another though based on their types, which I cooked up earlier today:

Dozer - Standard enemy, crawls along the ground
Raker - Spike top enemy, crawls along the ground
Auger - Spike side enemy, crawls along the ground
Paver - Shielded enemy, crawls along the ground
Excavator - Fully spiked enemy, crawls long the ground
Driver - Standard enemy, ignores ledges, protects self when falling
Grinder - Fully spiked enemy, ignores ledges, protects self when falling
Rotator - Standard enemy, hops across the ground
Shearer - Spike top enemy, hops across the ground
Forker - Spike side enemy, hops across the ground
Compactor - Trap enemy, crushes line of sight
Trencher - Trap enemy, attacks from the ground
Grappler - Trap enemy, crawls across any surface
Blower - Standard enemy, flies in place, up and down, or left and right
Tiller - Fully spiked enemy, flies in place, up and down, or left and right
Spearer - Standard enemy, flies at player
Spawner - Spawns enemies, invulnerable

The natural progression thing was already something I was planning ahead for, as you had pointed out. This is of course easiest for levels that you can only get to one way. (You can't reach Station without clearing Rocket, for instance) A lot of the paths are meant to have at least some sort of sensical form of progression, i.e. coming out of Jungle and either staying on top of the Ruins or going inside them into the Labyrinthe, or hopping on a flying Airship while in Clouds or dropping down into Snow. During the later part of this, I of course had a lot of trouble keeping this theme so the final tier of worlds probably wouldn't make too much sense in some parts. (Ruins leading to either River or Desert) Also note the general direction of the worlds; the higher up in the tiers you are, the "higher up" you are physically, the same goes for the lower quarter. Using this knowledge you can determine with Core and Abyss means. (If beach is higher then Ocean, and Underwater is at the bottom of Ocean, then...)

Offline Jester Frog

• Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 11:42:03 AM »
Figured I'd ask since it really hasn't been addressed yet, what's the graphics/art style gonna be like? Do you have any examples of what you want it to look like or any samples of what you've already made or something so if anyone wants to help they have something to go off of?