Author Topic: Super Skin Editor -- Edit your skins easier!  (Read 35163 times)

Offline Wingedkratos

Re: Super Mario War Skin Editor -- Download link fixed (Real
« Reply #195 on: September 20, 2011, 10:43:47 PM »
I see. Well everyone makes mistakes so it's no biggie. This one works without any freezes so far, just so you know.
Here's some things I noticed about it that seem off.
[spoilers:1j4oiizm]1. Actions tab and Options tab have have no options when clicking on them.
2. The Fill Tool, Brush tool, and the Line tool have no description text.
3. (minor) The "Swap" option under frames has a -> arrow like it is supposed to have other options, but it doesn't.[/spoilers:1j4oiizm]

Also, some suggestions for future updates to the editor (though it might not mean much coming from a newbie skin maker) Spoiler'd in case you didn't want any for some reason.

[spoilers:1j4oiizm]1. For more user-friendly usage, perhaps instead of making people type in the name manually in the area below the pink rectangle, and then loading it, replace the "load" function with an "open" function and allow people to select a skin from the computer. Of course, there'd be a shortcut on the keyboard for it too and a prompt to allow you to save or not if the current skin had been edited.

2. Under the Edit tab, have a Redo and Undo option, that way it's easier for people to go back or forward. (Just in case there are small edits/changes that are hard to see and undoing might confuse them.)[/spoilers:1j4oiizm]

It's cool. You're making this for free and all so it wouldn't be very mature of me to really complain about it anyway.

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
    • http://members.allegro.cc/felix-the-ghost/index.html
« Reply #196 on: September 21, 2011, 12:15:12 AM »
Quote from: "Wingedkratos"
I see. Well everyone makes mistakes so it's no biggie. This one works without any freezes so far, just so you know.
Here's some things I noticed about it that seem off.
[spoilers:80q6ci9m]1. Actions tab and Options tab have have no options when clicking on them.
2. The Fill Tool, Brush tool, and the Line tool have no description text.
3. (minor) The "Swap" option under frames has a -> arrow like it is supposed to have other options, but it doesn't.[/spoilers:80q6ci9m]

Also, some suggestions for future updates to the editor (though it might not mean much coming from a newbie skin maker) Spoiler'd in case you didn't want any for some reason.

[spoilers:80q6ci9m]1. For more user-friendly usage, perhaps instead of making people type in the name manually in the area below the pink rectangle, and then loading it, replace the "load" function with an "open" function and allow people to select a skin from the computer. Of course, there'd be a shortcut on the keyboard for it too and a prompt to allow you to save or not if the current skin had been edited.

2. Under the Edit tab, have a Redo and Undo option, that way it's easier for people to go back or forward. (Just in case there are small edits/changes that are hard to see and undoing might confuse them.)[/spoilers:80q6ci9m]

It's cool. You're making this for free and all so it wouldn't be very mature of me to really complain about it anyway.

Hey thanks man. I really enjoy getting feedback and constructive criticism.
I had an idea today, enable an option by default, that saves to a temporary skin every change made to a skin, and call it ZZSkinEditor (in the Super Mario War map editor there's something like this) This will be good because if the program crashes (of course I'm going to make my best efforts to avoid that) you'll have a back-up.

Yes, all the points you mentioned on the first part of your post are known and just the result of me releasing unfinished software. The way I do my menus with the graphics editable takes time for me cause I have to design every menu instead of just generating it as I would with other programs. I was kinda following in SMW's footsteps here, making everything editable.

Redo I suspect will be easy for me to implement with my existing undo system. I'm actually embarrassed I didn't have it out yet. It will be in the next release.

A GUI for loading skins will certainly happen eventually (I just have never made a similar GUI for accessing all files in a directory)

And just to kinda indirectly explain some of my embarrassing mistakes here, I haven't really added anything since my last update. It'll sound like an excuse, but about a month after my last update, my personal life got very dynamic and unstable. At one point I didn't even have possession of my computer. Things are pretty much good now (though I am a pretty busy guy)

Offline Wingedkratos

« Reply #197 on: October 09, 2011, 07:55:07 AM »
I see. Well that's good. The feature you mentioned sounds like it would be useful. Having to redesign every menu by hand is pretty annoying and would take awhile. On top of that the more fancy you make the overall design, the more memory it'll take up. (or it seems like that anyway.) Heh, I know what it's like to have an unstable personal life. Well, there's no rush on updates.

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
Re: Super Skin Editor -- Animations/Screenshots wanted
« Reply #198 on: October 09, 2011, 01:15:26 PM »
On top of that the more fancy you make the overall design, the more memory it'll take up.

This to me is something I have to try to do. In other words, that will probably never be a problem, =) We'll leave that to Microsoft Office/Adobe Photoshop.

I see. Well that's good. The feature you mentioned sounds like it would be useful.
Hmm ambiguity anyone?

Edit: Oh maybe you're mentioning the proposed back-up system.

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
Re: Super Skin Editor -- Edit your skins easier!
« Reply #199 on: February 02, 2012, 11:49:08 PM »
Not sure if anyone reads this thread (Though I'm pretty sure there are still downloads) I'll just go ahead and say:

The SMW Skin format may change in the future due to the complete restructuring of SMW itself by a few programmers. Still not sure if that will be official or if the current branch of SMW will be extended.

I'll be waiting for something to happen before a new SSE is out. Either way, I'll probably recode the project as it was an effort developed, suspended, developed more, and suspended again, so the project itself has various levels of novice programming practices that should be updated :P

I'm fully confident in my ability to redo it (all my logic is still there). Restructuring the UI to use less external graphics should increase my ease and speed of further development. A restructure was long due :P

In the meantime this version will still be up.

Offline Madosuki

• Lots of Free Time
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 22, 2012, 05:02:28 PM »
Man Felix you've done quite a lot of work on this since the first time I used it.
Oh, come, lovely child! Come thou with me! For many a game I will play there with thee.

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
« Reply #201 on: November 22, 2012, 08:10:51 PM »
Yeah, my apologies to everyone for sorta bailing on this. The code is on my older machine that hasn't been booted up in a while. I had more plans for this, but it seemed SMWar was dying out as a game/community.

If anyone is interested in doing a Mac port, it'd have to be Leopard or older as the newer Macs got rid of a Cocoa or something it would use for graphics.

Offline MC Jimmy

• Global Moderator
  • Ain't Nothin' but a Hound Dawg
  • Pon de replay?
    • MC Productions
« Reply #202 on: November 23, 2012, 12:07:21 AM »
Hey this could be added as part of the new Mario War if it were to be ported to java.

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
« Reply #203 on: November 24, 2012, 02:06:28 PM »
I think the skin format is being changed so probably not (at least not without modifications)

Offline GaM3r2Xtreme

• Gettin' Into the Swing of Things
« Reply #204 on: June 26, 2015, 12:57:05 PM »
Hey Felix, this would be kinda cool to have included on the new smwstuff website currently being worked on. Fluffypillow might be able to add a link to your editor.

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
« Reply #205 on: July 22, 2015, 12:11:39 AM »
Wow, haven't checked in for a while :P
Fluffy's welcome to include a link in any way he wants.

Honestly if I ever get the time away from work and my own project I plan to redesign the editor.
The library I used to program it has a newer version out now, I'm more competent in general, and I own a MacBook and have successfully ported one of my own projects to it. Linux would likely be just as successful.
Aside from the time, one would wonder if there's actually demand for an updated version as the game it supports isn't as popular as it once was :(
Maybe one day it'll just bother me enough knowing that I can make a better version and port it myself and I'll just do it  8)

Offline herb fargus

« Reply #206 on: August 12, 2015, 03:51:09 PM »
Well I for one would appreciate it if you made a new skin builder- You've done some great work !

Offline GaM3r2Xtreme

• Gettin' Into the Swing of Things
« Reply #207 on: October 06, 2015, 11:03:55 PM »
I feel your pain with the whole work thing... This is the first time I managed to check in and see what has been happening in the past few months.

What library and language did you code the program in anyways?

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
« Reply #208 on: December 29, 2015, 02:17:01 AM »
Shows about how often I check back here...
I clicked the "notify" button which I assume operates like a "subscribe to this thread" button so hopefully I won't miss posts in the future.

I wrote this in C++ using the Allegro Library. At the time I used the 4.4 version, but now I use Allegro 5 for my projects (which is completely different) I'd have to rewrite most of the code... or now that I think about it maybe *all* of the code if I can't even locate it :P I've switched machines at least three times and own 5+ USB drives :3

Still, I probably would have done it sooner if these forums were more active :(

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
« Reply #209 on: October 15, 2016, 03:08:42 AM »
I don't know who will see this, but I've updated the download section in the first post (not a new version) it's the same file I linked a few posts ago, with correction to the URL since the forum move corrupted all the existing links.

I added the standalone version that can be used without integration into the SMW files (it comes with required files so it's a slightly larger download and the files will be redundant if you decide to move it to the SMW directory)

Being an amateur I never had a safety check if 0smw.bmp existed or not, since I assumed installation into the SMW directory. It will crash on the first start (unless you create an options file as described in the first post)

I also want to reiterate that a completely redesigned editor may come in the future, though I don't know when. Currently I am working on my own game (unannounced) but I still want to bring this utility up to date.