Author Topic: Super Skin Editor -- Edit your skins easier!  (Read 35820 times)

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
    • http://members.allegro.cc/felix-the-ghost/index.html
Super Skin Editor -- Edit your skins easier!
« on: February 05, 2010, 12:58:36 AM »
What is SSE?
Spoiler
SSE is my own endeavor to make an easy to use skin editor that is cross-platform and actively maintained. (By 'skins' I mean the little images in the game used to represent your character.) Created skins will only allow for low-res, palette colored skins. (Though there is support for other palettes)

MSPaint users will notice this program sports a few new features, for example, unlimited undo states, and a way to 'restore' a frame to it's original state (which itself is also undo-able) Another great feature is the isolation and automatic management of each frame--no worries anymore of part of one frame being in the wrong coordinates/having to resize, etc.

A major feature for this program is the live color preview, which can be changed to show what the skin will look like on different teams and under different conditions.

Feature list
Spoiler
Unlimited Undos
Live Color Preview
Automated Frame Management
Autoloading of Last Skin
WIP External Config File
WIP Context-Sensitive Help
Color Loading from External Palette
WIP Toolbar/Menu System
Advanced Painting Tools
Many Hotkeys

Screenshots
Spoiler
Just a few, slightly outdated screenshots I happened to have:

Downloads
Spoiler
Windows Users:
0.7a (requires installation into SMW directory)
0.7a Standalone (Can be used remotely)

Installation
Spoiler
You should be able to just extract the package's contents into your game's directory. From there it will work, as it loads your skins and palette from there. After your first start you can move it as long as you also edit the generated config file ('Options.cfg').

How To Use
Spoiler
General Interface
Below the program's logo you can see the current skin being worked on, Below that is the filename--When you edit this, you can go to the File Menu (Or use the keyboard shortcuts) to save or load this filename. The '.bmp' extension is not required, and it is not case-sensitive (I hope that won't be a problem) You do however, need to put the author's prefix they sometimes use, ie 'FTG_SkinName' for a skin by me, if the filename indeed has one (You may have to check externally for filenames since I don't have a file browser yet).

Below this is the tool selection area, and below that are the palette colors--left or right click to choose a left or right color.

Below that is the help/options area. This area will display options for the current tool, as well as help when you have the mouse over special items. This context-sensitive help feature is still being developed. Help is displayed in a small page-by-page format--you will see green arrows showing there are more pages to see. Without moving your mouse, simply push the '<' and '>' keys on your keyboard to look through the currently available help.

The canvases in the lower right are labeled to show which frame they are drawing to--use tools to make or edit a skin in this area. You can change the target frame for each canvas by
1)Using the attached menu to choose
2)Scroll with the mouse to offset by one.

Above the canvases is a preview area, showing what the skin will look like in game, with the selected palette under the labeled conditions (ie tagged/shielded).
To change what mode to preview in you can...
1)Use the attached menu to choose what team and mode
2)Scroll the mouse to offset by one mode (until next team)
3)Scroll the mouse while holding [Ctrl] to oftest the team only, keeping the mode

At any given time, you may press [Insert] to create a screenshot of the program.
This will be 'screenshot.png' -- newer screenshots will replace the old one.
Currently I need some new screenshots to put in the first post.

Tools
Some tools should be simple to understand, and a few have context-sensitive help enabled on them (Help will show in the lower left area, and so will any options for a tool)

Pencil Tool (Shortcut 'P'):
Works as you'd expect it, left/right click for corresponding color...
You can hold [alt] in this tool to temporarily use line tool functionality.

Fill Tool (Shortcut 'F'):
By default, fills in continuous areas of pixels of the same color.
You can change the fill mode in the lower left options area...
You can click on the corresponding icon or use the '[' and ']' keys on your keyboard to toggle modes that way.
NonContinuous Filling will recolor everything in that frame of the color you clicked on.
8-way filling is like default filling, but will connect pixels that are adjacent diagonally and not just horizontally/vertically as default does.

Brush Tool (Shortcut 'B'):
The first thing to note is that, in this tool the cursor will change to a brush...and not be visible except for when it is in a canvas' area! To temporarily restore the normal cursor in this tool, hold [Ctrl].
To draw onto a different canvas, you currently have to set the target for this tool.
Below the target canvas will be a label; to toggle the target, push [shift]
I admit I will need to revisit this tool in development.
You can choose a brush head in the lower-left options panel, or cycle through each with the '[' and ']' buttons.
Since the graphics for this program are external, you can freely edit the brushset for new brushes. Unfortunately I haven't added config file support for the loaded file, so it has to be the same filename for now.

Ellipse/Rectangle/Line tools:
(Shortcuts 'E' 'R' and 'L' respectively)

For the Ellipse and Rectangle tools, you click to set a 'corner point' and then drag and release for the opposite corner. While drawing you can hold [alt] to draw from the center of the shape, or [space] to move the shape while drawing. This is hard to explain with words, so try it out. You can toggle between filled and outlined shapes with the '[' and ']' keys.

In the Line Tool, the controls are similar to the Ellipse and Rectangle tools. You can also push [ctrl] to start a new line segment, and hold [alt] to temporarily use the pencil tool.

Configuration
Spoiler
After your program's first run, a config file (Options.cfg) will be automatically generated.
You may edit this file in a basic text editor (such as MS Notepad) or choose to save the following text as 'Options.cfg)
Code: [Select]
***Following line should contain the desired default filename***
yourname_skin-name.bmp

***Next line should contain location of palette bitmap***
gfx/packs/Classic/palette.bmp

***Next line should contain directory of loaded/saved skins***
gfx/skins/

***Enable autoloading of last skin?***
yes

***Next line auto-updates with the name of the last skin opened***
0smw

***Start program with left pixel grid on?***
no

***Start program with right pixel grid on?***
no
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:36:11 AM by Felix-The-Ghost »

Offline EditorSD

• Regular
    • http://editorsd.npage.de/
Re: Super Mario War Skin Editor -- v0.6b
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 07:34:09 AM »
:mrgreen:

thank you soo much guy!
finally an usable Editor like the XP paint version, the windows 7 one sucks soo much.
No, really, this is epic!
my website; mostly to hort pictures.           http://http://editorsd.npage.de/

my youtube , feel free to add me as friend.  http://http://www.youtube.com/user/ESD8000

[spoilers]Photoshop mobile rocks.
" alt="" class="bbc_img" />[/spoilers]

Offline juhis

• Gettin' Into the Swing of Things
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 07:36:24 AM »
Wow! :D
That looks kinda promising, but I kinda suck creating low-res skins, but I'm going to try this out!

Offline EditorSD

• Regular
    • http://editorsd.npage.de/
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 08:41:35 AM »
its cool, but there should be a tool to replace some tiles of skins, like when you missed the skin for one pixel...

oh, and I needed to download two dlls.
my website; mostly to hort pictures.           http://http://editorsd.npage.de/

my youtube , feel free to add me as friend.  http://http://www.youtube.com/user/ESD8000

[spoilers]Photoshop mobile rocks.
" alt="" class="bbc_img" />[/spoilers]

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 08:54:14 AM »
Quote from: "EditorSD"
its cool, but there should be a tool to replace some tiles of skins, like when you missed the skin for one pixel...

oh, and I needed to download two dlls.

What .dll are you missing?
And what do you mean by the first part?
I do have more tools/actions planned, but I'm not sure what you mean.

Offline Staddle

• Almost Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 12:04:20 PM »
your skin editor is great, it is very helpful indeed.
i don't know what features you plan to get in there but still here are my suggestions to make the program truly an epic masterpiece :
  • motion picture preview
    oftentimes the pure skin looks good while not in motion, yet the walking/turning(sliding) frames seem to look somewhat static and don't blend into each other smoothly when the skin is moving
  • color exchangement feature
    in ms paint it is possible to exchange colors. This can be done by getting the new color on left mouse and the old color on right mouse. now cutting all (Ctrl+A), then filling all with the new color and at last pasting the picture (Ctrl+V) will have the old color in the whole picture exchanged by the new color. of course overlapping paste must be activated. this feature is essential for recoloring and adjusting skins to teamcolor and palettecolor requirements.
  • cut, copy and paste
    very often only parts of a previos animation are needed, especially when remaking or improving the motion of skins
  • mirroring and rotating
    it is also most likely that parts of the picture or the whole animation picture must be mirrored or turned (turn/killed/stomped)

this is what i got so far. i know that especially the motion picture preview will be not easy to implement, but if these things are included...holy **** that wwould be so awesome

all in all: keep up the good work, your program is arlready very good

EDIT: dll can simply be copied and renamed (think it didnt change anything, but ACTION and OPTION buttons have no function, dunno if it is because of there are things to come for those buttons or because of me copying the libpng12.dll and renaming it libpng2.dll)
Back

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 01:24:05 PM »
Ah. Those dlls are missing. It was for the screenshot feature, which saves in .png format. I must've had them already and didn't notice it needed them. I will fix this.
You should try this and see if it works or not...
edit: I have tried on this computer and found it needed only libpng3.dll--let me know if there are others missing though. I've uploaded the file under 'Downloads'

Color switching tool is planned--see the extra space in the tool area?
Rotation/Flip/Mirror is planned to go in actions.
Options will interface with the options.cfg file

Motion picture shouldn't be too hard to implement. I was actually planning on using all the extra space for a testing area :)
For now you can simply scroll between frames with the mouse wheel. Works for me.
In actuality the cut/copy/paste would be harder. I can do this easily by mimicking a 'clipboard' (Where copied things go in th OS) But writing the real clipboard would have to be coded especially for whatever OS I was porting to.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 01:44:33 PM by Felix-The-Ghost »

Offline Staddle

• Almost Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 01:42:03 PM »
testing area would be so incredibly awesome, galactic, super special crazy, i am missing words to describe it
Back

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 01:45:21 PM »
Hi Staddle. I've been editing some posts so make sure to check them. :)

Offline Staddle

• Almost Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 02:00:50 PM »
hey i just found out that, because of auto loading last skin, the editor will only work if you have a skin named 0smw when loading first time. what edit exactly do you mean?
NonContinuous Filling will recolor everything in that frame of the color you clicked on.
8-way filling is like default filling, but will connect pixels that are adjacent diagonally and not just horizontally/vertically as default does.
please tell me immediately when you have added test area.
for cut and paste: well it would make things a lot easyier, but one can rely on paint for the completely raw structuring until you have solved that problem, and i am sure you will!
 :P
my first smiley on 72dpiarmy dedicated to your work!!!
Back

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 02:19:40 PM »
Quote from: "Staddle"
hey i just found out that, because of auto loading last skin, the editor will only work if you have a skin named 0smw when loading first time. what edit exactly do you mean?

please tell me immediately when you have added test area.
for cut and paste: well it would make things a lot easyier, but one can rely on paint for the completely raw structuring until you have solved that problem, and i am sure you will!
 :P
my first smiley on 72dpiarmy dedicated to your work!!!

I edited a few posts up and I'm also updating the first post periodically.
The different fill mode are for the fill tool--when you have it you should see options in the lower-left.
Also you can toggle mode with the '[' and ']' keys.
NonContinuous and 8way are two different fill modes.
NonContinuous fills everything in the frame that is the color you clicked, so it's pretty good for recoloring skins. The last screenshot in the first post shows this.
8-way fills will expanded in 8 directions instead of four, so they can fill diagonal lines just fine.

Right now for pasting, frames that are similar enough can be copied with the canvas->duplicate action.
Duplication copies one canvas onto the other target canvas.
I plan on having a swap function, too. For swapping contents of two frames.

In the future I might make a Youtube video(s)
Also, I'm posting from a Mac with a Linux nearby--Linux I imagine wil be easier.
Mac is a pain when it comes to development.
Also, I think I might know the other .dll--uploading now.
I'd suggesting getting these to ensure intended performance.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:31:12 PM by Felix-The-Ghost »

Offline Staddle

• Almost Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 02:22:28 PM »
yeah i got the filling modes right after i posted....its great....the whole thing is going to be so great
Back

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 02:32:37 PM »
Missing files are up now. Please get them and see if you can push [Insert] to take a screenshot.
If it works, it'll be 'screenshot.png' in the same directory.
Currently I haven't coded it to add number suffixes, so new screenshots will replace the old one.

Offline Staddle

• Almost Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 02:36:05 PM »
screenie works:
Back

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 02:42:07 PM »
Heys thanks, I'm actually going to replace the screenshots in the first post with new ones--hope you don't mind yours in there. :)
And I see you have the Options menu active in the screenshot--you just click anywhere else or right click and any time to cancel menus.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:43:10 PM by Felix-The-Ghost »