Author Topic: THE OFFICIAL SCIENCE THREAD (Bill Nye isn't allowed.)  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Zadrave

• MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
THE OFFICIAL SCIENCE THREAD (Bill Nye isn't allowed.)
« on: June 18, 2009, 09:00:10 PM »
Oh, how fun. We started doing this in Science about a few days back. Let's talk about the theories and things about dimensions. Here, let me start.

0 Dimensions - One Point. If you were a creature living here, you will never see anything, you ahve to height, eidth, and deph.

1 Dimension - An infinite line. If you live here with a few of your friends, it would be impossible to move around because you are on the same line with them. You'd be stuck looking at someone's butt untill you die. Fun.

2 Dimensions - You all know what this is. It is made up of line segments from the 1st dimension. Think of a peice of paper and draw a square on it. It can never face up, or in this case, height,

3 Dimensions - Adds height to the 2nd dimension. Everyone know swhat this is, so I don't really need to explain this.

4 Dimensions - Time. This one's a bit tricky, but try to follow me. Time is it's own dimension. Imagine a close galaxy, the Adromeda Galaxy. We would focus on the distances, and of course, time. Say if we take a ship that goes the speed of light. Adromeda is 2 million light years away from us. Say that you can live forever, too. Light years is the time that light can travel, so we are going the speed of light, it will take 2 million years to get there, and another 2 million yeras back. We travel 4 million years in total, and there's something different. Earth is 8 million years older than it was before, and you are 4 million years older. Time varies. 4 dimensions is the seeing of time, we can't see time.

Here's a 4 dimensional Hypercube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_jKXFSg ... re=related

A video of 1 dimension to 10 (Part 1): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkxieS-6WuA
(Part 2): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySBaYMES ... re=channel
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 10:22:56 PM by Zadrave »

Offline MrMister

• Is probably Booman
Re: Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 10:00:24 PM »
I learned about this last year by watching PBS' NOVA series on the String Theory.

Offline SsF

• Too Much Free Time
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 10:05:19 PM »
gah making my head hurt...
and during summer break no less.

DARN YOU SCIENCE. DARN YOU!

well anyway i am going to make this thread about science, and i will counter with my own hurtful science, this time from the physics department.

Now we know that all things exist, right? Well get this. When you "touch" something, you never really touch them.  All that happens is electrons from the end of your finger react with the electrons of the thing you are "touching".  Those electrons don't even touch, because they are like charges that repel. That means when you touch something, no matter how hard you do it, you are still a minute distance away from it, even though you think you feel it.  Now apply that to something like the digestive system. So you chew up food by NOT TOUCHING IT, swallow it and it goes down a tube without touching it, then acids in the stomach don't touch it, but somehow decompose it. Then other, not fit to mention here, things happen.

tl,dr version:

you can't touch things, no matter what you think.

have fun :D

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
    • http://members.allegro.cc/felix-the-ghost/index.html
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 12:05:48 AM »
But that electron is mine and it touches things for me :V

Offline Rockerfrick

• Lots of Free Time
  • Theory of Nekomata
    • Nihilist Philanthropy
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 03:49:55 AM »
Why don't this show up? ->  :nosebleed:

We DO live in 4-dimensional space. We just don't grow old in space. I don't know why.

(offtopic please...)

:arrow: We people are just a tiny speck from a speck of what we call "Earth". Earth is just one of the members of a speck we call "Sol" or "Sun". There are billions of stars from a speck we call "Milky Way". The Milky Way is just one of the countless galaxies in the whole universe. And our boundless universe is nothing but a SPECK.

How about the universe? Some say we live in a universe from a multiverse. Good thing I leared that on History Channel.

Well they simplified the concept so we don't bleed our noses. Here it is:

:idea: Level 1 universe - this is where we city, but there are also copies of this - EXACT COPIES of us doing the same things we do today. Imagine this as a building in a city.

:idea: Level 2 universe - Imagine this as a district. This was said to look like bubbles. Our L1 universe existed from collision of two L2 universes. Also exact copies of our L1 universe.

:idea: Level 3 universe - Imagine this as a state. The difference between L3 universes is just a SINGLE ATOM. One atom can change everything. Suppose if the number of antimatter and matter particles during conception of the universe is the same, planets wouldn't exist and the space is nothing but black.

:idea: Level 4 universe - Imagine this as a country. This violates the laws of physics and such. This is very topsy-turvy as we can't imagine the universe very much - gravity is nothing, light is radioactive, etc.
[smwstuff]914[/smwstuff]

New Jawbox | Map Request Thread | Old Jawbox

Thou shalt not pie if thou shalt not meal.

Offline MC Jimmy

• Global Moderator
  • Ain't Nothin' but a Hound Dawg
  • Pon de replay?
    • MC Productions
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 11:48:15 AM »
This is a useful link...

http://www.dimensions-math.org/

Offline Yoshi Skier

• Posts Somewhat Often
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 09:34:29 PM »
This reminds me of Einstein's theory of relativity. It's kinda messed up, how distance and time get warped with increasing speed. Look it up if you want something to really stretch your imagination.
Florian Hufsky, 1986~2009. Hopefully now he can see how sorely he is missed and all the lives he has touched.

Offline SsF

• Too Much Free Time
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 09:30:40 PM »
Quote from: "Felix-The-Ghost"
no because then the electron would be touching other electrons, and they dont do that, simply because electrons have a negative charge. It is like trying to get two of the same end of two magnets to touch, only a lot smaller and a lot more powerful a repulsion.

so yes the electron may be yours, but it won't be touching anything for you.

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
  • this title came sooner than the last
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 10:33:06 PM »
Quote from: "ssf"
no because then the electron would be touching other electrons, and they dont do that, simply because electrons have a negative charge. It is like trying to get two of the same end of two magnets to touch, only a lot smaller and a lot more powerful a repulsion.

Let me mess with your mind a little more with your logic, then, sff.

If atoms do indeed not touch, then nothing in your body is really connected. At the atomic level, the esophagus does not actually touch the stomach. Nor, with this logic, does any part of the body touch any other part of the body, making my band director's orders pretty much null. Anyone who catches that last part has to be in band.

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
    • http://members.allegro.cc/felix-the-ghost/index.html
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 12:53:19 AM »

The electrons in my hand are about to not touch the electrons in your face
just kidding

Offline Rockerfrick

• Lots of Free Time
  • Theory of Nekomata
    • Nihilist Philanthropy
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 04:54:30 AM »
Haha you can't see me I'm a neutrino!
[smwstuff]914[/smwstuff]

New Jawbox | Map Request Thread | Old Jawbox

Thou shalt not pie if thou shalt not meal.

Offline SsF

• Too Much Free Time
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 02:28:12 PM »
Quote from: "Big JM"

Let me mess with your mind a little more with your logic, then, sff.

If atoms do indeed not touch, then nothing in your body is really connected. At the atomic level, the esophagus does not actually touch the stomach. Nor, with this logic, does any part of the body touch any other part of the body, making my band director's orders pretty much null. Anyone who catches that last part has to be in band.
well don't get the last part, but yes you are right, and so we really are a condensed group of electrons and protons and neutrons floating very close to each other, but not touching.

Offline MasterLederhosen

• Too Much Free Time
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 03:03:36 PM »
It might be a good idea making this topic the science thread since people already brought in some stuff of their own into this topic.

Anyways, the whole dimension thing is pretty confusing. I mananged to understand how the 4-th dimension is, even though I still can't understand how could it be possible. Later dimensions are just plain out of this world, but that's because we live in the 3rd dimension and we're bound to it so hard we couldn't even imagine the existance of the other dimensions.

Also, a 4D dimensional being could heal mechanical injuries, like if we had something stuck in our stomachs or we would be shot, it could remove the material using the fourth dimension without any complicated operations. As much as I saw the 4D shapes, I still don't see how a 4D dimensional being would look like to us, in the 3D dimension.

And since people have been talking about other scientific things here, I thought I'd tell you an unrelated to the thread but related to science thing. Apparently, they figured out how to use laser to propel things.
[youtube:3focgmgt]LAdj6vpYppA[/youtube:3focgmgt]
They only got a small model done. But it looks like if they continue on with this kind of propulsion system, we'll be our own alien race, flying in UFO's. Honestly, that was one  kind of a plot twist for me.

Man we're getting fast forward with technologies lately.

Offline soulbreather

• Lots of Free Time
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 06:04:57 PM »
Mass and atoms are mostly nothing-ness, you can punch a table or chair and it's mostly just "thin air" (not actual air but you take my meaning).
blurby blurby blurbo
Quote from: \"kNova\"
;x Faptastic. KRISPY KREMES OOHHHH

Offline Kabukiguy

• Too Much Free Time
  • What a horrible night to have a curse....
    • http://gdkn.deviantart.com/
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 06:44:57 PM »
you guys are idiots, the only dimensions that are proven to exist, are the 6th and the Hyork dimensions. You might as well kill yourselves for this moronic thread.
Fist with a ring on it.