Author Topic: I Bought a New PC!!  (Read 2330 times)

Offline Yoshi Skier

• Posts Somewhat Often
Re: I Bought a New PC!!
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 01:28:24 PM »
Ya, I got a laptop recently for cheap ($580) and it's actually not terrible... granted, it isn't a gaming machine, but still. Btw did you build yours or buy it pre-built mr?
Florian Hufsky, 1986~2009. Hopefully now he can see how sorely he is missed and all the lives he has touched.

Offline MrMister

• Is probably Booman
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 04:38:44 PM »
Quote from: "Yoshi Skier"
Ya, I got a laptop recently for cheap ($580) and it's actually not terrible... granted, it isn't a gaming machine, but still. Btw did you build yours or buy it pre-built mr?
Pre-built from HP. Not bad for $600.

Offline MrMister

• Is probably Booman
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 05:55:49 AM »
Well, every game I throw at it has been pretty good on this PC so far... until now.

The Street Fighter IV PC Benchmark has come out and I ran it... only to watch my PC crash and burn.

That's at low or off on all graphics settings. I'm slightly ashamed of myself for buying this computer... :cry:
Well, guess I'll get to play RE5, SF4, and Crysis all at Max graphics in another 4 years. :oops:

In addition, it does run at 60-70 FPS when I have EVERYTHING turned off, windowed, and put it at 640x480 resolution.
I also FINALLY found out how NVidia numbers it's graphics chips and cards. For example, I have a GeForce 9100, the 9 stands for the series number and the 100 stands for the level of performance out of 900. Damnit.
It's still a good graphics chip, but not as great as I made it out to be, but it's still better than my old s****y NVidia 6150 LE.
Damn I'm bummed now, oh well back to F.E.A.R. 2! :D

TL;DR My PC is not as great as I thought it was. (But still kicks relatively-good ass.)

Offline WK97

• On the Bright Side: You came close to your record for damage healed as Medic
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 11:00:20 AM »
'Lil bit better then mine..

My PC Specs:
-AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
-NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 512 MB
-4GB DDR-2 RAM
-Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
-1336 x 768 thing

Offline eeliottheking

• MAGIC. LEVEL UP.
    • http://DIGDUG.DIGDUG
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 12:06:31 PM »
Quote from: "Mr Mister"
Well, every game I throw at it has been pretty good on this PC so far... until now.

I also FINALLY found out how NVidia numbers it's graphics chips and cards. For example, I have a GeForce 9100, the 9 stands for the series number and the 100 stands for the level of performance out of 900. Damnit.
It's still a good graphics chip, but not as great as I made it out to be, but it's still better than my old s****y NVidia 6150 LE.
Damn I'm bummed now, oh well back to F.E.A.R. 2! :D

yeah.  the second number in Nvidia's is always significantly more important than the first. EX you would be way better off with a 8900 than a 9100 due to the fact that a 8900 has been maxed to the limitations of the 8000 series.  Its no biggie though Mr.Mr.  you can get a top-of-the-line video card now for pretty cheap and they aren't that hard to install.

Just go to best buy and they will give you tons of information.  :p  i always use them to get the latest Info, and then i buy the card online for half the price.
Hi

Offline MrMister

• Is probably Booman
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 08:03:35 PM »
Anybody suggest what I can do to boost it up in power?

I can buy a dedicated video card for it, but I'm unsure of what I can get as I have a 300 watt power supply and I don't know what the PCI slot specs are.

Offline WK97

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 02:23:31 PM »
Anybody suggest what I can do to boost it up in power?

I can buy a dedicated video card for it, but I'm unsure of what I can get as I have a 300 watt power supply and I don't know what the PCI slot specs are.

Turn off Windows Aero if you are using it.
Go to Power Plans and turn on Maximum Performance.
Get a better Power Supply.
Get a nVidia 8800 GT Graphics Chip.

Offline MrMister

• Is probably Booman
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2009, 07:02:13 PM »
Actually before you posted, WK97, I actually did some research and found out that my computer in fact does kick ass, the only thing missing is a dedicated graphics card!

I'm going to by a 550W power supply and a BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT and shove them into my comp, which should boost my performance 32 times over. :D

Or should I shell out a bit more money and go higher on the GFX card list?

Offline Madosuki

• Lots of Free Time
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2009, 07:14:51 PM »
i would go a bit high but tht just me..
Oh, come, lovely child! Come thou with me! For many a game I will play there with thee.

Offline SsF

• Too Much Free Time
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009, 02:23:07 PM »
Actually before you posted, WK97, I actually did some research and found out that my computer in fact does kick ass, the only thing missing is a dedicated graphics card!

I'm going to by a 550W power supply and a BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT and shove them into my comp, which should boost my performance 32 times over. :D

Or should I shell out a bit more money and go higher on the GFX card list?
go higher.

btw, you are fairly better than my comp that i bought the parts for and built with cg.

and the only thing missing on mine is a good video card as well.

so i am looking for work and i am gonna save up money to buy a new one.

Offline WK97

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 08:08:11 PM »
How much does it cost for an 8800 GT and a 500W Power Supply - I only have 401$

Offline MrMister

• Is probably Booman
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 10:42:51 PM »
Well for me to get a 9800 GT and a 550W supply it's around $200.