Author Topic: Super Mario War: Stomp Arena Alpha  (Read 47325 times)

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
  • this title came sooner than the last
Super Mario War: Stomp Arena Alpha
« on: November 06, 2012, 11:36:13 PM »
Alright guys, in time for NCFC, here's the alpha!

As always, here are the downloads:
http://smw.supersanctuary.net/SMWSA/SMWSAalpha.zip
http://smw.supersanctuary.net/SMWSA/SMWSAalpha.tar.gz

Also, as a note, this release requires Java 7 to run. You can get it here:
http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

New features in this release include:

Menu - We have an actual  UI for the game now! It's currently rather simple, but it gets the job done.

Key rebinding - All player keys can be re-bound to different keys on the keyboard.
Window resizing - the window can be resized with the F9, F10, and F11 keys.

language packs - the game language can now be changed. (most) Displayed strings can be edited in res/lang.properties.

Pausing - the game can be paused with the escape key.

Netplay - Accessed from the main menu. Right now, it's just a simple random-map mode. Choose the IP and port of the server, pick your players, and enjoy SMW over the net!

Netplay is based on a client-server model. The netplay host can either double click the Server file to run it, or write this command in the command line (in the smw directory):
Code: [Select]
java -server -jar Server.jar
Also you can type /help for a list of commands.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 10:31:48 PM by JM Dragon »

Offline EON8ight

• Stomp Arena Staff
  • Regular
  • Dropped the screw in the tuna
    • EON8ight's Repository
Re: Super Mario War: Stomp Arena Alpha RC1
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 11:43:32 PM »
About netplay: the default port is 10000, with ports 10001 through 10004 reserved for clients connecting. To join, enter the IP of the server, and choose one player from the selection menu. It shouldn't matter which one, but make sure you only choose one and one only. And make sure it's a human too (bots haven't been tested yet, but if you want to try a bot player instead, go for it).

Netplay is in a very early stage and may not work correctly. Its inclusion in the game is not a guarantee that it will work.

Also, massive props to JM for single-handedly implementing netplay! Don't forget to thank him for the hours of hard work he's done to make sure this game doesn't die.

EDIT: Please report as many bugs as you can find! Especially any bugs that cause text to appear in the Debug Console window.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 01:10:40 AM by EON8ight »

Offline EON8ight

• Stomp Arena Staff
  • Regular
    • EON8ight's Repository
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
No commentary? I'm surprised.

Offline MC Jimmy

• Global Moderator
  • Ain't Nothin' but a Hound Dawg
  • Pon de replay?
    • MC Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 05:47:44 PM »
I already talked to Big JM about some bugs I found, but I might as well bring up some other stuff. I noticed frames being drawn wrong when I was playing netplay, as in I would be in the death frame when I was walking around. Netplay also desynched a bit, which is expected right?

Jumping on things was a little wonky, didn't feel smooth. Warps also felt a little weird. It would make you float like you were on a platform after you went through a warp, like on the one map 'Subcontinued' where the warps are sideways for the doors. Mushrooms also got stuck in the tiles, but I was playing over netplay, that might be the reason with the frames being drawn wrong or something.

Offline Kabukiguy

• Too Much Free Time
  • What a horrible night to have a curse....
    • http://gdkn.deviantart.com/
Re: Super Mario War: Stomp Arena Alpha
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 01:46:30 PM »
whoa! going to check this one out pronto! great work guys!
Fist with a ring on it.

Offline SsF

• Too Much Free Time
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 10:21:18 AM »
Sounds great!

Downloading it right now.

Online KingPepe

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 08:52:10 PM »
I don't know if this was pointed out already but there seems to be a problem with the hold items. After using one, if you try to get another, it doesn't appear in the inventory. (like I use up a bullet bill powerup and I collect the stopwatch, the stopwatch doesn't appear in my inventory and I can't use it)

Quote from: \"JJames19119\"
Times today are just as bad what with the video game market being made up of 80% first person shooters that are 80% brown and 20% black and 100% bloom.

Offline MSX

• Posts Somewhat Often
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 04:07:32 PM »
Going to check it out and try the Netplay.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:32:01 PM by MSX »
Crouching Tiger Hidden Spaghetti.

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
    • http://members.allegro.cc/felix-the-ghost/index.html
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 03:15:52 PM »
I don't know if this was pointed out already but there seems to be a problem with the hold items. After using one, if you try to get another, it doesn't appear in the inventory. (like I use up a bullet bill powerup and I collect the stopwatch, the stopwatch doesn't appear in my inventory and I can't use it)
It's a feature. They're not doing it like SMWar.

Offline EON8ight

• Stomp Arena Staff
  • Regular
    • EON8ight's Repository
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 06:39:37 PM »
It's a feature. They're not doing it like SMWar.

It's very much not a feature, actually, but a combo unimplemented-feature-bug that needs to be fixed.

Offline Madosuki

• Lots of Free Time
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 04:56:45 PM »
Awesome, gonna try this out right now!

Edit:
Spoiler
Love the larger map size and title music/layout. Mushrooms get stuck in tiles (not netplay), if there's only one player (which I know doesn't happen much) and you die even once the victory music plays for each death, Bots randomly stop moving (again not netplay) and keep running into solids and getting stuck. I sometimes fall through solids and avoid any collision all together. I agree with Jimmy about the warps feeling odd. Sometimes the jumping skips a few frames and I can't see myself for a second or two then am on the tile/platform. And you can get stomped while Super Star'd. Also maybe make the HUD a bit more transparent then it is. Overall buggy, but hey it's Alpha and at least it's getting done which is awesome, looking forward to trying out future releases, and hopefully am not being an ass. Thanks a bunch to y'all for working on this!
Edit2:
Spoiler
Also if making maps or skins/gfx would help I'd gladly work on either or both when I have some free time
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 06:03:59 PM by Madosuki »
Oh, come, lovely child! Come thou with me! For many a game I will play there with thee.

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 09:59:17 PM »
It's very much not a feature, actually, but a combo unimplemented-feature-bug that needs to be fixed.

Sorry, I guess I misinterpreted this post when I originally commented on it (almost the entire reply is spamming two phrases)

Offline JM Dragon

• Stomp Arena Staff
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 10:09:29 PM »
Sorry, I guess I misinterpreted this post when I originally commented on it (almost the entire reply is spamming two phrases)

It was more than likely a reaction to how you posted this than anything else. JJ's reply wasn't really a good reply, but your post did come off as rude, and he replied similarly.

With that said, I would rather this line of discussion end here. It's starting to get too off-topic.

Offline dylstew

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 10:53:26 AM »
God I love the new Resolution! :D
You guys are actually pretty far already.
I hope you guys will be able to finnish this project.
It would be awesome :3.

Offline Felix-The-Ghost

• Too Much Free Time
  • 1v1 Rust
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 02:04:29 PM »
It was more than likely a reaction to how you posted this than anything else. JJ's reply wasn't really a good reply, but your post did come off as rude, and he replied similarly.

My post wasn't rude at all -- no idea where that thought came from. Even re-reading it it doesn't seem rude to me.